Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently acquired my first Super. eBay purchases are not for the faint of heart I've decided. This car had recently been imported from Italy with all the crazy import paperwork that I have yet to deal with.
IMAG0642.jpg

IMAG0699.jpg

I knew the original 1600 was toast (not totally but had a busted head bolt which I had no intention of dealing with at this point) but I wanted a 1750 motor in it anyway.

IMAG0619.jpg

The eBay copy stated "No Rust" which in eBay-speak means "No visible rust due to the application of the really poor and barely dried paint". The rockers are beautiful sculptures in bondo. The dog legs and rear wheel arches look pretty suspicious too. The front footwells are typically rusted too and the spare well was "Not Well" repaired at some point. There really isn't a straight panel on this car but as far as I can see, no serious accident damage.

Regardless, I wanted to get car up and running to really evaluate what we had. If it was a train wreck on rubber I would cut my losses and look to blame someone else for trusting eBay. We recently rebuilt a 1750 motor so in it went and in short order we had it on the road.

IMAG0666.jpg

The 44 year old suspension was not surprisingly “a bit” loose and drove more like carnival ride. We bushed everything and replaced the worn springs with GTV units and Koni reds set full soft. This lowered it to the point where a ladder was no longer essential to ingress.

The clutch master leaked initially but once exercised swelled and held ... for a while. It was at this point that I learned that seals for the Bonaldi clutch masters are not readily available. Papajam to the rescue...

The brakes weren’t horrible until the front caliper cracked and left me with zero pedal (the joy of single circuit brakes). It was at this point that I learned that the European brakes had smaller calipers than the US versions I am used to. APE to the rescue…

IMAG1070.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The interior looked like they had hauled cement in it at one point. There was some kind of gunk on much of the surfaces. It took quite a bit of scrubbing to remove whatever it was. We removed the dash and completely restored it.

IMAG0611 (1).jpg

14 - 38.jpg

14 - 40.jpg

The dash pad was of course cracked and beyond repair. We handed that to the local upholstery shop and they recovered it easily. The binnacle was painted with a Rustoleum texture paint that I am really impressed with. The vinyl pieces (other than the dash pad) were painted with SEM vinyl paint – again an excellent product made them look new. The wood was removed (including the center console), stripped, stained and clear coated. It is probably too shiny but it I like that it is UV stable and won’t yellow over time. The PO had applied some silly stick on chrome trim to much of the exterior and interior and that was dispatched with “extreme prejudice”. The chrome trim was polished and although pitted looks quite presentable.
None of the gauges worked. We disassembled the tach, speedo and clock, cleaned and lubricated everything, polished the stainless and replaced the bulbs with LEDs. The result: The tach and speedo work; the clock and fuel gauge are DOA. I modified a badge and replaced the guts of the clock with it. I know it’s not kosher but I can’t stand staring at a clock that doesn’t work and I’m not spending $300 for the privilege of seeing it work. Not sure what to do with the fuel gauge. It is integral to the speedometer so it’s not a simple replacement. I suppose it could be the sending unit…

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The small gauges were such a mess that I just put them in a box and bought aftermarket marine gauges with their own sending units. Other than not having an Alfa symbol on the face they are a pretty convincing replacement. And they work…

IMAG0614.jpg

IMAG1055.jpg

The original color for the interior was black so I quickly surmised that this was not the original interior. I was fine with this as I really didn’t want a black interior. But the seats I suspect were from a later model Nuova (left) and lack the charm of the earlier Super units. I toyed with installing Berlina seats (right) which I had in stock but decided that although they would fit without modification, they just didn’t look right.

IMAG0775.jpg

Thankfully, through the help and generosity of another BB’er I was able to secure a complete set of Super seats in fine structural condition.

IMAG1229.jpg

Classic Alfa sells a high quality set of covers and off to the upholstery shop they went for a fitting. I am very happy with the results.

IMAG1262.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The headliner had the typical stains but was otherwise in decent condition. SEM vinyl paint again brought this back to as new condition. I really can’t say enough about this product and the pictures don’t do it justice. The headliner looks brand new…

IMAG1057.jpg

The original carpet (or whatever you call what was on the floor) was replaced with a marine grade grey carpet. It still needs to be bound but we’ll get to it later.

IMAG0773.jpg

With the dash out, it was an easy job to remove and recondition the heater box. The heat exchanger was in good shape but the valve was gone. We stripped it and repainted it to make it look pretty for anyone crawling up under the dash.

14 - 37.jpg

The grab handles were removed and polished and have yet to be re-installed. The door panels are rather gruesome with disintegrating cardboard backs and speaker holes cut in them. But I think we can bring them back to usable condition until a nicer set shows up.

IMAG0615.jpg
14 - 2.jpg

·
Registered
665 Posts
Nice work, that is looking fantastic! I agree with the SEM headliner spray but don't breath any of that stuff, you will feel sick for days. I'm sticking with a 1600 but I often days think I should have gone bigger but oh well. I bet that 1750 will be great. Was it hard to get the carbs dialed in? Or what it just plug and play?

Keep it up, Supers are, well, super.

·
Premium Member
5,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Webers are far from plug and play for me. I stumble about until i get them running properly. The ones that came with this car are beyond my skill set to rebuild and will be shipped out. I had another set that i was able to rebuild and they are fine. I replaced the rubber mounts with aluminum units from Classic Alfa. I know that is somewhat controversial but i am so done with the after market rubber mounts. I've seen zero issues with the three motors that we've installed them on.

·
Premium Member
3,876 Posts
Is this the one from New Egypt, New Jersey?

·
Registered
574 Posts
It looks like you will be out and about and enjoying it soon!

·
Premium Member
3,876 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Rich I noticed that Super on e-bay as well. But this was rather recent was it not? and you've done this much already? nice...
It was actually sometime in August that I took delivery. Once here we did kind of jump on it but we had the motor and the suspension built so that was a pretty quick bolt on operation. The brake failure only set us back a couple of days as Larry at APE had the part in the mail the same day. The clutch failure on the other hand had us stopped dead for nearly a month as I kept monkeying around trying different things until I decided to call Papajam who of course had a unit on the shelf.

With the interior we had about an 8 week wait for the seat covers so we had plenty of time to do the dash and other bits. As grungy as it was, it cleaned up pretty well and I made some strategic decisions not to go too far (as is my want) with every nut and bolt. Hence the clock and small gauge changes.

One goal of this project is to minimize project creep. Before I go hog wild, I really wanted to get some seat time to be sure it's something I like. I've not really had too much time with it yet but probably enough to say that I get why these cars have a following.

My secret weapon with these builds (I've got a few going) is that I have a few young bucks that have the talent and the desire and allow me to boss them around. They think I know what I'm talking about so so far they listen to me (that won't last too much longer).

IMAG0616.jpg

We also picked up a nice Binks paint booth that was originally installed at the GM tech center nearby.

IMAG0523.jpg

That helped to attract probably the most talented painter in the area to join our little team. He's not an Alfisti yet (HIS '63 Caddy custom) but he's coming around quite nicely...

IMAG1383.jpg

I did take the Super out for a quick spin the other day. Motor, brakes, clutch, and suspension all worked well. The diff, which we did little except flush out some nasty, greasy gunk and replace the pinion seal is making some noise. I think it might be the calipers dragging. We pulled the pads and it seems that the noise is gone but I haven't had a chance to road test it since. I've also got some wiring issues to attend to but that can be done anytime. I had hoped to put AC in this car to make it a daily driver but so far that looks unlikely.

At some point I will need to make a final decision about the body. I am leaning toward doing a proper restoration which will require at a minimum, stripping the paint, replacing the rockers and probably the rear wheel arches and likely other surprises. That won't take place until at least the late spring and possibly next winter.

What fascinates me about this car is the attention it draws. I had it in a local car show when we first got it on the road along with my kinda tricked out Spider. Despite the Spider's shiny new paint, new rims and "Monster" 2L the interest seemed to be 10 to 1 in favor of the modest little Super with horrid paint, rusty wheels and barn fresh interior...

IMAG0744.jpg

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Rich, looking at the date and the pictures of a sunny afternoon its hard to imagine that its all taking place in Michigan now... Nice job on the Giulia.

·
Premium Member
5,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just checked and the outdoor picture was August 29th and the car show was Sept 7th. The clutch went out shortly after and we didn't get that rectified until last week (also did the interior during the downtime.

Drove it briefly last week but the weather was far from inviting.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Nice car, not so many Biscione versions at ABB. Do you know manufacturing date of this car? I am asking because it seems to have some modell year 1969 details like fuse box in engine bay and screw mount rear view mirror.

·
Premium Member
5,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
"According to our documentation files, the chassis number AR 1869536 originally corresponds to an Alfa Romeo Giulia Super (105.26), manufactured on the 28th August 1970 and sold on the 23rd September 1970 in Livorno, Italy.
The body colour is hawthorn white, with black skai interiors."

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Interesting. All 1970 Supers I have seen have "quick release" mirror, under dash fuse box and so on.. That yours clearly is 1970, but in details it's more like 1969. Who knows there might be differences between Italian market and export cars.

·
Premium Member
5,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got a chance to drive the Super a bit yesterday and today. The more I drive it, the more it settles in and tells me it's worth saving. The suspension has found its "groove" and the 1750 motor is really a gem! I've got an issue with the alternator not charging that I need to resolve before I venture too far. I swapped in a rebuilt IVR bosch unit but it's still not charging - I must have something wrongly wired but there isn't a lot there to miss. I also have a slightly more amusing issue: When I turn on the parking lights the heater blower comes on! This is my doing for R&Ring the dash without a wiring diagram. So now I get to spend hours tracing the wires back.

A bit more disconcerting is a rather nasty grinding noise out of the rear end. I know the rear calipers are dragging but I now think it's more than that. I don't recall hearing this noise before we pulled the diff, cleaned it and replaced the gear oil. But I'm wondering if that was because I am driving with the windows up now and it's just more obvious. I will deal with the calipers first and see where that takes us.

Again, the more I drive it, the more I understand the attraction. I am toying with swapping in a "built" 2L and using this 1750 in another project. This car performs well with the stock 1750 - I'm really interested in what the 2L will do for it. This would also cause me to address the noisy rearend since I would be obligated to install a LSD to handle the additional HP...

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
When I bought my 67 Super in June 2013, it came with a 1750, in a mild state of tune.

My former Giulietta Spider is rather quick with that 2 L. Quick is good!

"Supah" now has a "built" 2 L that will be fully tuned by spring and should put out around 150 torque over a broad curve,

When one drives in mountains, torque is good.

:cool2::cool2:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts