Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
It's amazing how some people think alike, I imported my 72 a few years ago from Switzerland and it is easier to modify with hanging pedals instead of floor. As the other fellows said it is advisable to buy the best car possible because heavy rust repairs will be too costly and finding the right shop to do it is also difficult. I do a lot of my own work to keep cost reasonable. Importing is also a bit complicated and costly. If you need any help feel free to contact me. My prior restoration was a concourse vintage Ferrari documented but my love has always been Alfas. The Giulia Super is fun to drive and I don't need to be in a Giorgio Armani suit.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
It's amazing how some people think alike, I imported my 72 a few years ago from Switzerland and it is easier to modify with hanging pedals instead of floor. As the other fellows said it is advisable to buy the best car possible because heavy rust repairs will be too costly and finding the right shop to do it is also difficult. I do a lot of my own work to keep cost reasonable. Importing is also a bit complicated and costly. If you need any help feel free to contact me. My prior restoration was a concourse vintage Ferrari documented but my love has always been Alfas. The Giulia Super is fun to drive and I don't need to be in a Giorgio Armani suit.
Thank you all for the tips and advice. I do want a solid car, prefer rust free as well, I can work on my own stuff...to a point. Body work is not one of my talents. I am somewhat focused on a Giulia. However GTV's seem to be more available so shop those, I would not pass up a good one. I am not unfamiliar with importing as I bought a 1986 LR 110 out of France a few years ago.

divotandtralee: Thank you for the member referral. I will certainly reach out to him!

quattroporte..nice Defender and beautiful Alfa!

I attached pics of my current fleet.

Attachments

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,015 Posts
When a noob is in the hunt for a Giulia (sedan) I always recommend that they read all of the stickies at the top of the Sedan forum to understand the various years, models and trim options. Having the below table alongside helps to put them all in perspective. But the above is correct in that many cars over 40 years have been modified and some drastically. I had two Nuovas that had been completely modified outside to look like a Series 2 or 3 Super and that takes a lot (but nothing on the inside). Others less modified with maybe just a donor trunk lid with the wrong script or some added trim bling to a S3 (72-74) Unificata. Sometimes it's just difficult to tell from photos but the smaller TI and earlier 1300 (to 72) tail lights are usually a good tell.

Many of us have bought our Supers (and TI's) in Europe as there is a much greater selection and variety. My three and two sold for example. It used to be that prices were much lower and some still are but there is near parity now. But honestly 5-10 years ago it was just about low availability here. On a recent review of major NW Euro car sales sites, I found some 50 for sale in one day alone in NW Europe. But most were 1300's or Nuovas. Good S1's are fetching big prices now in Europe. (See "Wanted Alive" thread in stickies). For a while EuroClassix imported about 15 from mainly Italy and sold them but at my last look they had only one. That window may have closed.

As far as Euro sites, I prefer: AutoScout24, Mobile and Marktplatz (both NL, BE and DE) and use The Gallery Brummen as a price outlier (usually high).

As far as pedals, I have both types and feel no difference. Maybe the latter are better for 2L upgrades.

You can chedk mine out in the links in the signature block.

Happy hunting!

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Looking at the rockers it looks like undercoating rather than paint? Is the interior out of a later car? And in the trunk there are two”posts” in the forward corners behind the back seat. What are those for. Admittedly looking at it on my phone which isn’t ideal.

·
Premium Member
21,166 Posts
The VIN to me is a 1300 Super. I'm sure it'll get talked about at length on BaT.
Any car from Europe I would look at pretty carefully.
Andrew

21 - 30 of 30 Posts