Alfa Romeo Forums banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Starting to acquire the parts needed to make the 1750 more correct.....
Steering wheel purchased and on the way.....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
the jealousy grows

>:) As I read the thread I find my jealousy growing,, MUST suppress feelings,,

Nah, that's a great car! wish I could of! Very nice Richard and welcome, welcome, welcome.:smile20:)

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
5 correct 14 inch steel wheels with the nubs are on their way to me. They will replace the Momo Vega wheels presently on the Alfa.

Now I have the Italian Cousins in the same garage.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
Original parts found and have arrived........
Steering wheel - waiting on gold emblem arrival
Front bumper grill protector - one arrived, another spare on the way
T brackets for the front bumpers
Correct wheels all around and a spare
Thanks to all helping to obtain these items....

Attachments

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
dont forget the insert that go on the steering wheel, three of them, between the wheel tines and the horn pushers! Classic alfa has them

·
Out of the office!
11,259 Posts

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
well I'll be doggone

Thanks Brian for the photo. I didnt know that. So I wonder, on my 71, are they supposed to be there or not? My steering wheel is exactly like a 69 (build date 10/70 on my 105.62 kamm tail)

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Thanks Brian
I was going to check my 1750 Spider brochures to verify.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Review of invoices shows the head had been serviced in 2001 due to head gasket failure / water in cylinders and a recommendation in later invoice to replace the fuel injection pump or replace with a weber conversion.
The previous owner experienced a lot of smoke in the exhaust in 2004 and parked the Alfa until I bought it a month ago.
I removed the Lodge spark plugs and they were very black and sooty. I suspect the fuel injection system finally failed to a "Rich" state.
I PB blaster the cylinders twice and turned the engine over by moving the Alfa in second gear. I got some good compression (It blew the paper towel plugs off as each cylinder compressed).
I will pressurize up the oil galleries via the oil sending unit connection and go for a cold compression check in a couple of weeks.
I use a bug sprayer filled with oil to fill the galleries.

Attachments

·
Out of the office!
11,259 Posts

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Lodge plugs removed....
Front view of the Italian cousins.
I replaced the front hood with a good used one. It will get all repainted and have its beak installed in the nose with the replacement smaller nose panel. Previous body shop which repainted the Alfa flattened the beak.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Using my $29 Endoscope (1080p, auto focus) to inspect the cylinders and pistons.
It sends photo and movie wifi to my cellphone and IPAD.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Richard,

Congratulations on the 1969 1750 roundtail. Looks like it will keep you busy! I’m just finishing a bare metal restoration of my 69 (second owner) and have rebuilt/replaced everything. Your steering wheel does NOT have plastic inserts around the horn buttons. From the photos, your car doesn’t have the curved chrome “nerf bar” between the two uprights on the rear bumpers like mine, but don’t know if it’s happenstance or simply omission from a previous repair job. I am still looking for a replacement used bar for my car (the last part I need to finish!). The advise about keeping the Spica unit is good advice! Also keep the 1750 engine.

I noticed the Interstate battery in the engine compartment photo. Would you share the model number? I am looking for a replacement battery and the dimensions given for a Group 24 battery on the Interstate website for height seem about 3/4 inch too tall. Obviously the one in your car fits.

Thanks,

Art

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Made a preliminary list of mechanical work to perform, attached. About 90 items.
Removed airbox in preparation for SPICA removal.

Battery is MT34. Note, the battery tray does not have the plastic battery tray with sides.
https://www.interstatebatteries.com/products/mt-34

Purchased brake failure indicator , 3 tabs on ebay.

Will have to replace Left / Rear floor panel and seat rail brackets. A good reason why you should not use carpeting padding and carpet near the ocean. Rubber mats are better.
I had to remove all of the carpeting, looked nice, but smelled of mold / mildew due to ocean proximity.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
After sitting in the garage for 15 years and getting it home, I took compression readings. 1:125, 2:200, 3:190, 4:185.
I noted high carbon on the plugs. I will see if there is carbon on cylinder valves when I remove the intake and exhaust. It had a complete head job about 18 years ago and 5 thousand miles.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 77 Posts