Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
If the Spica pump is worn out at least give it to Wes. New parts for these are not being made and he is really the only scource for rebuilds. As these cars get rarer there will be an increasing number of people who want to de-euronize and return them to their original NA configurations. Hard to believe maybe but already happening with Ferrari’s and Lamborghini’s big rubber bumpers, side marker lights and the whole nine yards. Somebody will eventually use that pump.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
On the duetto registry there are about 2200 ish US duettos. Car looks good, hope you have many enjoyable driving days in your future. Good Luck

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks, I look forward to going through all the components / systems and getting it back on the road.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
@rumifaizer, what is the source of this information?
This is a page from Chris Rees Original Alfa Romeo Spider book, page 48 listing production numbers for all 1750 Spiders with breakouts for USA Models which I presume to all be SPICA for 1969 on. 2004 USA units in 1969 and 1970. Author makes specific reference to Kamm tails manufactured in 1970 in following chapter, so not included in his 1970 numbers. My car serial number AR1481496 falls in the 1970 range which agrees with info I got from Archivo Storico which indicated an assembly date of June 13,1970. Titled as a 1969. That I can't explain. I always tell people it is a 1969. WOuld not want to contradict the state of Kansas.

Book does not fit on my scanner well which explains the blurry edges.

Attachments

·
Out of the office!
11,259 Posts
This is a page from Chris Rees Original Alfa Romeo Spider book, page 48 listing production numbers for all 1750 Spiders with breakouts for USA Models which I presume to all be SPICA for 1969 on. 2004 USA units in 1969 and 1970. Author makes specific reference to Kamm tails manufactured in 1970 in following chapter, so not included in his 1970 numbers. My car serial number AR1481496 falls in the 1970 range which agrees with info I got from Archivo Storico which indicated an assembly date of June 13,1970. Titled as a 1969. That I can't explain. I always tell people it is a 1969. WOuld not want to contradict the state of Kansas.

Book does not fit on my scanner well which explains the blurry edges.
There were a fair number of cars built in 1970 and sold as 1969 model year cars. If your car has one of the plastic VIN plates in the door jamb, I'll bet it says 1969 as the year of manufacture.

I think the best source for production figures is the Tabouchi book.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
WOuld not want to contradict the state of Kansas.
I'm from Kansas also.

Many years ago I had a Pantera that was titled in CA as a 1973. It was an early chrome bumper version which I presume was originally sold in 1973.
However the 1973-production Panteras were fitted with large 5mph rubber bumpers.
I bought it in CA, transferred the title to KS and along the way changed the year from 1973 to 1972. They were very flexible to titling the car as a 72 just because I said "no, its a 72 not a 73".

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I will have to update the Duetto Registry and etc. with me as the new owner of AR1480672.
Previous owner had carpeting installed in the interior with padding. Due to the high moisture area of Half Moon Bay, I am removing all of the carpeting (Mildew smell) and will be replacing with new correct rubber/plastic mats and correct two piece tunnel carpeting. I will have to check the integrity of the foot pans. Note non-hanging pedals. My engine number is 00551 01163. Early 1969. My car first sold 3/14/69.
I spent alot of time this weekend removing tools, some original tool kit, spark plugs, screws, and the such in the rear area of the trunk where the rear lights reside. Luckily, I have a new high resolution digital inspection camera with 39" cable by Cen-Tech. I bought off ebay for $100 less than Harbor Freight. It took hours to retrieve the stuff using a magnet.
I replaced the original hood (banged up, but repaired) with a used early 70's Alfa Spider hood. Fits perfect.
I also replaced the broken cigarette lighter with a NOS one I had.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Richard, that's disgusting! <KIDDING!!> My '78 is rusting audibly.

Seeing the photos, I've about as green a complexion as an oak leaf in spring. Beautiful car.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Check the parcel shelf behind the seats, as the moisture from the rear drape will cause that floor to rust as well as smell. Nice car and good luck

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
More photos.... I will start an Excel Spreadsheet and enter all the work needed, list by priority, comments, status, and parts needed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
More....A good amount of work, but worth it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Just found a Euro / RHD Airbox for my Spica to Weber conversion..... Yea!!!
I have the 40DCOE27s, etc...

I will run a cold air hose from the round opening towards the right side of radiator openings .

Attachments

21 - 40 of 77 Posts