Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,
When I bought my U.S. spec '69 Spider 22 years ago, the seats did not have headrests. I assumed that the restorer had substituted earlier seats from a '67 Duetto. Some time later, I sourced a pair of seats from an early Series 2 Spider, recovered them with upholstery kits for a '69 and installed them, putting the old ones in storage. Now it's time to do a Spider "refresh," and I'm thinking about seats again.
My questions:
  • Did any '69 Spiders come to the U.S. without headrests? Mine was produced late in 1968, but I figure all had the same seats with headrests.
  • How much do the early series 2 seats differ from the late series 1 seats? I'm thinking they're not that much different but I don't have examples for comparison.
Best,
Bob A.

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
13,170 Posts
The seats came with headrests. That was a Federal regulation. The seatbacks appear to be identical to that of the 69 Spider. Looking at the parts manual for the 2 litre, it shows a 105.62 part number for the seatback.

It's interesting that the hinges have a 106.64 part number, indicating a Montreal origin. They are black and the 69 Spiders have a grey hammer tone paint on them. The way the hinge latches to the seat pan is also different.

The seat bottoms are unique to the 69 model year US spec car. I'm not sure what exactly the differences are as I could never tell. I do know that the seat bottoms have seams in the upholstery that is not seen on the later cars.

The last picture in the post is that of a 2 litre hinge and shows how it locks with the seat pan.

Most people will not know the difference between the seats.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Upholsterers always told me it was foam compression, but don't you agree the seats sit lower than later models too Brian? I think the foam was lower. You will need to find someone to make seat bottoms for you if you want seams, which are correct. My wife Margaret made them for me, then said, never again.
What is the seat pan on the left from versus the painted one Brian? The one on the left looks like it has a ledge in the rear vs. the right.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brian,
Thanks. I was pretty sure you could clarify this. It supports what I was thinking would be the case. I'm comfortable going with the later seats, especially since finding an actual set of '69 seats in restorable condition would no doubt be pretty difficult.
Best,
bob A.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sure. I'll dig them out this afternoon. I believe they're "Duetto" seats.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IMG_4297[1].JPG IMG_4298[1].JPG IMG_4299[1].JPG IMG_4300[1].JPG IMG_4301[1].JPG IMG_4303[1].JPG IMG_4304[1].JPG
Here you go. Mice made a meal out of this seat cushion, but the other pictures are representative of the set.

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
Wow Bob, In my humble opinion, those "Duetto" seats are in fine condition compared to the ones I've found in later S2 Spiders. You've obviously cared for them.
Greg

Reactions: rabhalter
1 - 11 of 11 Posts