Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
This is Ken from Taiwan.
I am restoring my 1969 Spider ( Vin No AR 148 1648).
Does anyone know where I can get the wiring loom?
I tried Classic Alfa, Alfa Service, Centerline, but no one has the right one.
Thank you for your attention.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Try OKP in Germany

·
Out of the office!
11,476 Posts
Try OKP in Germany

That is for a 1600 Spider, not a US spec 1750. Lionel Valez lists them, but there are no pictures on his site. I cannot comment on quality or accuracy as I've never seen one oh his wire harnesses.

If you have the patience, you can buy all of the supplies you need to make your own.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Do we know which model the OP has? If it is not a 1600 (is there going to be any difference?) he could try contacting OKP to see if they can source the right one. I was going to replace mine, but generally the wire itself was OK, but the connectors on the end were suspect, so I have systematically replaced every one which I come across with soldered ones. I believe all the critical ones are now done.

·
Out of the office!
11,476 Posts
Do we know which model the OP has? If it is not a 1600 (is there going to be any difference?) he could try contacting OKP to see if they can source the right one. I was going to replace mine, but generally the wire itself was OK, but the connectors on the end were suspect, so I have systematically replaced every one which I come across with soldered ones. I believe all the critical ones are now done.
Yes, it's quite clear:

Elektrischer Kabelbaum 1600 Rundheck Spider

Sorry, I did a cut and paste. :) The wire loom in the picture is for a car with the fuse box in the engine compartment. Ken is looking for a wire loom for a US spec 1750 Spider. The wiring is different

·
Registered
241 Posts
You could try contacting OKP to see if they can source one. I was going to replace mine, but generally the wire itself was OK, but the connectors on the end were suspect, so I have systematically replaced every one which I come across with soldered ones. I believe all the critical ones are now done.
Yes, it's quite clear:

Sorry, I did a cut and paste. :) The wire loom in the picture is for a car with the fuse box in the engine compartment. Ken is looking for a wire loom for a US spec 1750 Spider. The wiring is different
Yes, it's quite clear:

OK, so how am I supposed to know its a 1750 the OP has? There is NO reference to his car in the post.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Oh do forgive me for not knowing that!!! Jeeeez.🤣

·
Registered
241 Posts
You own one? And heres me thinking you were a genius! You shattered the illusion.

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
OKP has one for the 1750 roundtail as well, but for the 105.57

they do say "ask for looms for other models" so, as TD says, it's worth asking them about one for the US (105.62) model.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
That is for a 1600 Spider, not a US spec 1750. Lionel Valez lists them, but there are no pictures on his site. I cannot comment on quality or accuracy as I've never seen one oh his wire harnesses.

If you have the patience, you can buy all of the supplies you need to make your own.
I purchased a replacement harness for my US spec 1750 from Lionel and would consider him a valuable supplier. Serial No. of my car 1481496 manufactured in June 1970. The data listed in Chris Rees's book Original Alfa Romeo Spider ends USA roundtail serial numbers at 1482220 in 1970. My car is titled in Kansas as a 1969 model.

I too had trouble finding a USA harness from all the usual suppliers in Europe. I shipped Lionel the old harness out of my car so he could make a copy. He kept the old one, so if he did not have a pattern before, he has one now. I regret to say I have made almost no progress on my car in the last 12 months except putting the harness in the car. It looks great, but I can not attest to any problems. If there are any, I expect them to be minor. I plan to add relays to the headlamp circuits to lower current passing through the stalk switch. Lionel would only make it like it was, no modifications.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for the posts from everyone.
My spider indeed is 1969 1750 imported from USA.
I checked the Classic Alfa, do find a very close one.
That is the loom for LHD 1750 GTV.
Here is the link:
I am wondering if we can modify the loom starting from this to fit to the USA 1750 Spider?
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
10,090 Posts
That is the loom for LHD 1750 GTV.
I am wondering if we can modify the loom starting from this to fit to the USA 1750 Spider?
I guess you could modify anything and end up with something workable. But I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to take the advice ossodiseppia offered in post #3 and just make a loom from scratch. My sense is that the spider and GT wiring isn't that similar, particularly in the areas behind the dash and around the taillights. But honestly, I haven't studied the problem in detail.

Before ordering the Sprint harness from Classic Alfa, I would at least ask them about the availability of the correct part. No doubt they buy these from another supplier and that supplier might be able to custom build a spider harness.

·
Out of the office!
11,476 Posts
The wire harness can seem rather intimidating, at first. But, after it's removed and laid out on the floor, it's not all that difficult to figure out.

There is plenty of DIY information on how to make a wire harness. The one for your car can be broken out into sections that are easily managed. I have a poor memory, so please take this with a grain of salt. There are three sections to the Spider wire harness. One of them runs along the frame rail on the driver's side. It plugs into the main section near the hood release. This section is for everything in the rear of the car. The second section originates at the fuse box and runs into the engine compartment on the passenger side. I think it covers everything on the right side of the engine and the front lights. The last section is what runs under the dash and out the driver's side into the engine compartment. This is the most complex part.

Each of these sections can be removed and laid out on a sheet of plywood, mapped and photographed. I would be worried that I made the wires too short. So, I would make them all very long, then trim them to length once the harness has been installed in the car.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I guess you could modify anything and end up with something workable. But I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to take the advice ossodiseppia offered in post #3 and just make a loom from scratch. My sense is that the spider and GT wiring isn't that similar, particularly in the areas behind the dash and around the taillights. But honestly, I haven't studied the problem in detail.

Before ordering the Sprint harness from Classic Alfa, I would at least ask them about the availability of the correct part. No doubt they buy these from another supplier and that supplier might be able to custom build a spider harness.
Thanks, classic alfa does not recommend modifying the one i mentioned.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts