Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I am in the process of replacing my Ignition Switch on a 1969 Spider, have the steering wheel off and the Bolt holding the Switch in place has a Round Head. On my 1974 GTV, the switch had been replaced once before and had a hex head nut. (Easy to switch out).

Any suggestions on how to get the Round Head Bolt off? There is very little room to work, does not look like a socket or hex key would work, maybe a hack saw to cut a groove?
Tried small Vise Grip, but would not hold.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Rogers

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
If you have a Dremel tool you can cut a slot in it. I've used a file which took a little longer but worked.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Use a center punch and hammer and hammer it it a counter clockwise direction and the bolt should turn out. Good luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you have a Dremel tool you can cut a slot in it. I've used a file which took a little longer but worked.
Thanks, the Dremel tool worked great....... Original Ignition Switch, hope the new one lasts 51 years. Thanks again, Rogers

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
I have my steering column out right now. I presume the recessed round head is what you are describing that needs to be removed? How the heck did they tighten in Milan?

Is there anything to be gained by removing screws from the terminal cover?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have my steering column out right now. I presume the recessed round head is what you are describing that needs to be removed? How the heck did they tighten in Milan?
View attachment 1627109

View attachment 1627110
Put a slot in the rounded head and replace it with a hex head bolt..... next repair will go very easy.
Thanks,
Rogers

·
Registered
4 Posts
View attachment 1627109

View attachment 1627110
I don't have a picture off hand but in the center of the round head there is a spot dead center that is slightly rough. There was a hex head that connected to the rounded head by a small stem. The factory would tighten the hex head until the stem breaks off as a anti tampering protection. Files and dremal tools work but i found a set of easy-outs that look like torqs head sockets for a 3/8" ratchet. Just drill a shallow hole of the appropriate size as listed on the package then tap the easy-out in the hole with a hammer and then gently back it out. If you reuse the bolt your torqs heads will allow you to remove it when you want. I'll see if I have a picture of the unused bolt.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is the factory bolt mentioned above.
View attachment 1627319
Correct that's the beasty. I've got some in my parts but I've got so many parts and not enough room. Thousands of Alfa spider and some assorted other Alfa, Maserati and a few Fiat Dino and a odd Lancia. But that's it and if you're careful and use it dab of light duty lock tight you can have the head stay on for easy removal at a later date. Never seem to get enough time to organize them and such but one day I'll get finished

1 - 10 of 10 Posts