Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doesn't work, wondering how to tell if needs new motor vs electrical connection. If it needs a new motor, any idea where I can get one? thanks

·
Super Moderator
10,203 Posts
You're going to have to fiddle with the wiring, use a pointy ended tester to see if the wire going into the heater box is hot, check the fuse, etc. One crude diagnostic: with the power turned on, can you stick your finger into the heater box, give the fan blades a push and get the motor spinning a bit? Don't worry - even a brand new motor doesn't have enough oomph to hurt your finger!

It wouldn't be surprising if your motor has died - the brushes wear out, internals get wet, lubricants turn to epoxy, etc. Classic Alfa sells two models of replacement motors, the WA021 and WA021/1. However, it isn't clear which style a '69 spider takes. Read CA's descussion at: WA021/1 HEATER MOTOR AND FAN 17cm DIAMETER

So if your testing shows that power IS getting to the motor, I'd take out the heater box (a really fun job), take it apart to get at the motor, determine what type of motor you have and either fix it or order a replacement.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
There should only be two wires coming from the motor. One for power and one for ground. Check for 12 volts at the motor lead with fan switch on. If yes, turn power off and check resistance from power lead to ground. Not sure what the resistance would be except not infinite. Could as simple as a bad ground connection. I can email you a wiring diagram if you need it. They are not to be posted on the board per this thread.

I have a copy of Papajams Revision 9 for the 1969 10562 Roundtail in pdf. Send me a private message with your email if you need it.

For my restoration project I purchased a blower from Alfa-Service in Germany. Tried to post a link direct to the page with motor but no sure it will work.

However the first one took forever to deliver because DHL turned over to USPS when it arrived in US and then it spent like two weeks traveling around the US. It was packed poorly and the plastic fan blade was broken. The vendor shipped another (at no cost to me) that arrived much quicker, was packed much better, but still had broken fan blades. The first motor does not have threads on the motor shaft. The broken fan appears to be pressed on the shaft. The second one appeared to be a different make than the first and I was able to take the original fan blade and mount on the second new motor shaft. So it was all's well that ends well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts