1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
:eek:Is that a slushbox gear changer I see:(

S

·
0 Posts
That is my favorite Spider model, love the rear end, especially. I can't imagine anyone putting down 12-5 with that kind of...ummm.....miniscule description. Nor can I imagine a male wanting to buy it, for the obvious reason. That might be sexist? Check on that and get back to me.

David B.
1986 GTV-6 (Black-62k)
1986 Spider Veloce (Black-53k)

·
Registered
416 Posts
Well, The Graduate was released in 1967, so a 1969 Spider is not exactly like the car in the movie, automatic transmission notwithstanding. :p

·
Registered
80 Posts
Powered by....

I emailed the guy,
Its his brothers, isn't it always.

It has a CHEVY power plant :eek:, wonder if its a 454?????

George

·
Registered
80 Posts
only if its black!!!!

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
nah, it says it's a four cylinder engine....probably not enough HP....or was it torque that you need?;)

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
(...climbing into flame suit...) I don't think its horrible - seriously. The front bumper is a pretty good fit and flows with the car. (... its getting kinda warm...) I wonder if that is custom or taken from some mid-sixties Detroit iron. I think I would take that over the series 2a rubber bumpers. And removing the rear bumpers accentuates the boattail that we all love. (... are those flames I see...) I have never been a huge fan of the body color dash so the brushed aluminum facia might be a clean alternative (beats stick on wood grain). (...do I smell something burning...)

Finally the automatic. Not my choice but a guy would have to spend some serious time transplanting a Chevy motor and auto. If done properly it could be a reliable alternative to dropping a tired 2L with carbs and a grinding trans. (...oh the humanity...).

I'm not a fan of Model A Fords but my brother is and he cringes everytime I remind him that a hot rod Model A is worth 10x what his fully restored rumble seat roadster is worth. Maybe $15k is light... Ok, now I am kidding...

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
(...climbing into flame suit...) I don't think its horrible - seriously. The front bumper is a pretty good fit and flows with the car. (... its getting kinda warm...) I wonder if that is custom or taken from some mid-sixties Detroit iron. I think I would take that over the series 2a rubber bumpers. And removing the rear bumpers accentuates the boattail that we all love. (... are those flames I see...) I have never been a huge fan of the body color dash so the brushed aluminum facia might be a clean alternative (beats stick on wood grain). (...do I smell something burning...)

Finally the automatic. Not my choice but a guy would have to spend some serious time transplanting a Chevy motor and auto. If done properly it could be a reliable alternative to dropping a tired 2L with carbs and a grinding trans. (...oh the humanity...).

I'm not a fan of Model A Fords but my brother is and he cringes everytime I remind him that a hot rod Model A is worth 10x what his fully restored rumble seat roadster is worth. Maybe $15k is light... Ok, now I am kidding...
Consider yourself burned to a crisp!

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Truthfully, I have nothing against tasteful modifications...unfortunately, there is no clear definition of tasteful. The bumper thing? I believe that the Roundtail bumperettes are terribly useless, but they do look great. Because they llook good and because the 66-69 Spiders are very rare, I think it's a shame that someone would modify those. Having said that, modifying the 75-82 cars with pre-75 or other better bumpers is OK with me. The engine and trans? Now, here is where I draw a BIG line! If one were to modify a powertrain (as in swapping a small-block Chevy into a '32 Ford), it is tasteful if it is a significant upgrade or if it is done using a very 'cool' engine. An example or two would be a series 3 Alfa Spider with a 3L V6 from a 164Q, or maybe a '74 GTV with a Ford 4.6L HO engine. As far as the transmission goes, I don't think an automatic swap into an older sportscar is EVER appropriate! Keep the auto for American Iron. This car is not at all tasteful!

But, more importantly...the ad is very misleading and isn't appropriate. This car should be listed as a highly-modified custom Alfa or something like that.

Frankly, I believe it is ugly, ugly, ugly and every time I look at what someone did to ruin this great little car, it makes me a little sick.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Frankly, I believe it is ugly, ugly, ugly and every time I look at what someone did to ruin this great little car, it makes me a little sick.

That's why no one has started the bidding at his "suggested" $12K opening #.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
***?!?!?!?! 1969 Spider Automatic on E-Bay!

All this complaining about a little modification....and questions about whether it's horsepower or torque that the modifications were done to accomplish....

But, all of you guys seem to be color blind; that Alfa is not RED, it's Alfa Orange.

Let's hope I got the right thread this time, stayed on topic, and am somewhat focused.

·
Registered
666 Posts
:eek: The whole concept is really disturbing- not "exactly" what Dustin Hoffman drove in "The Graduate"- not even close. Torn headrest, awful dash, God only knows what lurks under the hood connected to the AT- the rear bumper removed doesn't look bad on a Roundtail campaigned as a race car, but makes this one look even sadder....sad, sad, sad.:(

·
Registered
15 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts