Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1969 Spider 1750 -SOLD

I may be loosing my mind, but here I am offering my 69 Spider for sale. As some of you know, this Spider took place of my daily driver Berlina. Berlina went to the right owner who is enjoying her as it was intended. I thought that I would be driving the Spider on daily basis to work and putting it through its paces in the canyons, just as I did with the Berlina. However, I have put less than 1000 miles on the Spider since I bought in March. I didn't have the heart to drive the Spider to work and leave it roasting under the hot sun every day nor could I bring myself to do any modifications to the car aside from the wheels and just left it in the condition I bought it in. It didn't help that I bought an E39 Touring on my friend's recommendation which has become my DD. So, there it sits in my subterranean parking, being started on regular basis... but not much action besides.

Although the E39 Touring is a great car from styling, reliability and every day utility standpoints, the 525 with auto never did much for me in terms of inspiring performance. As much as I hate to admit, but the P word has been rolling around in my head in the form of the mid to late 80's 911. I still need to do research on model years to ensure avoiding pitfalls with inherent mechanical issues. To be fair, I am not expecting a trailer queen but I would want a very decent well-cared for daily driver with A/C fully charged and operational and everything else working as intended by the P engineers at the time of production. Passing smog is crucial. Color is not an issue, black interior very much desired.

Ideally, it would be a swap for the Spider +/- few g's. Once the P car is acquired the decision will be made whether the Touring will go to my oldest son or on the selling block. Being a one owner car with under 70K miles and clean car fax, I doubt I will find another one like it.

Getting to the essentials, the Spider is a 1750 with Spica, dual brake boosters, etc. etc. - the running gear is all original. The color is not - was light blue, now blue green and the paint is a 10 footer. I am the 3rd owner. I have not followed up with the registration so the car still has the small square "vintage" California title. For those into plates, its NOT a black plate car but does wear blue plates.

The Spider runs great. Engine is strong, no smoke, oil pressure good, does not overheat, no second gear grind, will stay in reverse under load. I have paperwork from the PO for quite a bit of maintenance work and repairs required to keep this Spider on the road. The paperwork spans 1980 - 2007.

I bought the Spider with aftermarket alloys. I ended up putting on a restored set of Momo Vegas mounted with brand new 195/60 Sumitomos.

I'm located in San Fernando Valley. PM me if interested.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Picture of the Spider now. PM me for whatever pictures you will need. The car was inspected by a shop in Northern Cal on the lift - the car was declared rust free. I did not have it on the lift myself so will go off what the shop said 7 months ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the real DD

Didn't realize that green could be my color but...

Attachments

·
Registered
6,808 Posts
I can recommend...

The '89 to '94 964 series 911 !
Older style body with more modern air bags, anti-lock brakes, excellent AC !
Have had mine for 2 years with no problems. Actually, I don't drive the Alfas anymore.....

Attachments

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gorgeous 964. This is the model I was contemplating but felt that it may be a bit out of $ range. I was hoping maybe for a 1984-89 Carrera 3.2 or 1981-83 SC.

·
Registered
6,808 Posts
'84-'89 Carreras are generally more desired and higher priced than a similar 964....
SCs are less. All of these are going up in value.
Funny that I sold my '67 Duetto and had the replacement Cobalt blue 964 in my garage before the Duetto left home. Was about the same money 2 years ago.
You will never regret the trade !

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
If you want good A/C, I suggest that you find a 1986 or later model. All of the torsion bar, air cooled 911s have finicky air conditioning, but the improvements with the dash change in 86 make the later cars noticeably better in this area.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Color

Picture of the Spider now. PM me for whatever pictures you will need. The car was inspected by a shop in Northern Cal on the lift - the car was declared rust free. I did not have it on the lift myself so will go off what the shop said 7 months ago.
Great color. Good luck with the sale.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great color. Good luck with the sale.
thank you for your well wishes. I just had the car up on the lift and photographed pretty much every nook and cranny underneath and lower portion of the car. the seller and the inspecting shop were dead on - there is no rust. the rockers and door bottoms have original spot weld marks in them. I will post pictures later on in the evening tonight. breaks my heart to sell it now even more but I really do want something I can use on daily basis without much concern of damaging something so cool...

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Undershot of rockers

Attachments

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
More photos from down under

Attachments

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Additional pics

Attachments

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And still more...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have more pics or can take a specific picture upon request. The car is very very solid in body, structure and mechanical.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
More pics

Additional pics of lower sections

Attachments

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
More pics

Attachments

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
some more photos. I also have an engine photo that I will upload later on.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Engine shot

Original 1750 with SPICA, dual boosters. Even has the original fan shroud, not a big deal but pretty cool nonetheless...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've been spending time looking at the Porsche market and I must say that the Porsche bubble is quite strong, getting stronger with almost every new offering on the market. I can forget the 964 and the 993 cars as the clean ones are priced at over $30k, and the $20k beaters is something that I cannot afford. Tiptronic cars go for quite a bit less, but I don't want an automatic and as such not too crazy about Cabs. I also will not consider a salvage titled car. Porsches command strong numbers and in order for the insurance company to step in and total the car would be significant structural, mechanical/electrical or fire damage or theft where the car is pretty much gutted.

The only somewhat viable alternative would be an early 996 but I heard some bad juju about these early water cooled cars. I do like the 944 S2 but was really hoping for a 911. I cannot say that selling off a 69 Spider to get into a 944 is really justifiable IMO.

So I'm at crossroads of considering an alternative cool DD such as an E39 M5. These seem to be more within my grasp. Any other thoughts?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts