Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
After my initial revulsion, I had to remind myself that an old Spider shell probably wasn't worth much in the early 80's. I wonder if Bobcor ever raced it? Some things obviously took some effort and thought while others seem very poorly executed. Did they bang out a bump in the hood with a sledge hammer to clear that 4-barrel? What's the deal with $1 Craigslist ads anyway? Does that just mean "call me to discuss price"? I guess the top frame is long gone. Not my cup of tea but I can see how it might be kind of fun for a few seconds anyway. The seller has what looks like a Series 2 Spider in the garage as well. Wonder if that one is stock?

Edit: Looking at it again, perhaps they had a nicely executed hood bulge that was then damaged by the tree branch. Hard to tell.

·
Super Moderator
10,929 Posts
What happened to the grille?

·
Registered
1969 Duetto 1959 Giulietta Sprint
6 Posts
Oh my. I wonder what the underside looks like with the different rear end and making way for the engine and tranny.

·
Registered
74 Spider 78 Spider 84 Spider
549 Posts
I'd drive it...but need to make it a 5-spd. And get a top. I think the Buick/Rover aluminum V8 would have been a better match. Not much more difficulty in parts/adapters than the typical SBC conversion

·
Registered
664 Posts
Interesting location for the battery cut off switch.
Look like the steering has been "upgraded"

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I worked at Bobcor from 1978 to 1988 and nothing like that was ever in our shop.

·
Super Moderator
10,929 Posts
I worked at Bobcor from 1978 to 1988 and nothing like that was ever in our shop.
That was my sense. I remember ordering parts from Bobcor back in the 80's. They seemed like a pretty serious Alfa Romeo operation, so building a franken-car like this SBC-roundtail would have been out of character.

I get the idea that the SBC-roundtail, '87 Alfa spider and other parts being offered are from the estate of a now-deceased Alfisti. His heirs probably just saw the name "Bobcor" on some parts invoices and not knowing Bobcor from a bobcat, assumed they were the builder.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Alfacamero.
Thats what they called a GTV version in a 1976 issue of Overheard Cams in the for sale section.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I'd drive it...but need to make it a 5-spd. And get a top. I think the Buick/Rover aluminum V8 would have been a better match. Not much more difficulty in parts/adapters than the typical SBC conversion
I get this was done back in the day before it was available, but an aluminum LS would be a better match now. No reason to use an old school SBC unless you are keeping a car original that had one to begin with. But if I were swapping in an American engine, I'd probably go with an LFX (6cyl out of a Camaro). 300hp, revs to over 7,000, more than enough power in a spider chassis.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts