Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as I piece my 69' GTV back together little by little, it's time to start thinking about engine modification(s). I want it to be driveable on the street, but i'd like a little more power without losing too much reliability, so here's what I had in mind for the 1750 engine:

-Performance head from centerline alfa with bigger valves (~$935)
-Rebuilt injection pump from wes ingram ($895)
-Borgo Piston & Liner set (9.5:1) - ($535)
-Hastings Rings (3.5mm or 4mm?? What's the diff?) - ($93)
-Stock 1750 cams?
-Maybe a lightened flywheel? That thing seems heavier than the V6!

Any ideas or things that I have listed above that won't work?

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
I would ask Mr. Ingram !
He is well versed in what works with his rebuilt pumps.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I'll give him a call soon to see what he thinks. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
biggest bang for the buck, i would just put aftermarket 11mm cams in and deck the head to pickup CR points. i recall the 1750 CR is a tad higher than the 2000 already. there should be enough adjustment for the 69 spica pump to compensate for the larger 11mmcams.

running in cali with the poor fuel quality i would stay under 10:1 for spica or weber cars

best of luck

db

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
biggest bang for the buck, i would just put aftermarket 11mm cams in and deck the head to pickup CR points. i recall the 1750 CR is a tad higher than the 2000 already. there should be enough adjustment for the 69 spica pump to compensate for the larger 11mmcams.

running in cali with the poor fuel quality i would stay under 10:1 for spica or weber cars

best of luck

db
Just got a message back from Wes and his recommendations are:

Stage 1 Cylinder Head Upgrade
A-435 Intake Cam
A-16 Exhaust Cam
High Performance Injection Pump
Aluminum or Lightened Steel Flywheel

All of the above, I can get from his shop

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Great !!
Better to use a known combo of parts than experimenting !

·
Registered
77 Posts
Price?

A-435 Intake Cam
A-16 Exhaust Cam

As I too have a 1750 I would like to know what the ball park cost is on these items.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I agree with the Aluminium flywheel! Best upgrade I ever made. I got mine from Paul Spurell

·
Premium Member
5,599 Posts
I would start with a goal in mind. What are you hoping to achieve with these mods? Top end speed? Low end grunt? Part time track car? The ability to beat a FedEx truck off the line?

1750s are not cheap to modify. I would guess for all those mods you are probably looking at a 15 hp increase.

You might consider putting the 1750 on the shelf and then buy a 2 liter cheap and have at it. Actually modifying a 2 liter isn't exactly cheap either but you'll be able to achieve a well behaved 150 hp without breaking the bank.

The other way to go if I were to keep the 1750 (don't get me wrong, I love the motor) with the SPICA pump, I would add euro cams (10548s) and an electronic ignition (123 is my preference) and spend the rest of my money on a really well tuned suspension (I like the options offered by Classic Alfa). For me, flying around a tight corner flat and in control is more fun then changing lanes at 120 mph...

·
Registered
213 Posts
The first thing that I would do is discard the Spica pump and replace it with nice Webers carbs.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Enrique, you are trying to start a war?.... I personally agree but I'm not sure we want to go down that road.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts

A-435 Intake Cam
A-16 Exhaust Cam

i think thats pretty much what i have on my 2liter plus bigger TB's minus the flywheel

if im not mistaken the A-435 is a +11mm cam which requires notching out the head for clearance.

i probably have 6 grand in my motor and i ported the head myself and sent it to wes/hannaford for assembly.

6 grand vs 1 grand ? 160 vs 130chp ? remember the hottest stock 1750 or 2 liter 105 gtv dyno's [email protected] 100-110hp at the crank

here's a vid of my car on the dyno

·
Registered
13 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,543 Posts
that and an msd or equivlant, quick starts and good spark at a .50 plug gap, the rev limiter on the msd is really soft.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Hard to disagree with Wes and his total system approach. Only thing I'd add to his list is the electronic ignition mentioned earlier in this thread.

My old 1750 engine with 40 DCOE Webers dynoed 108hp at the wheels. Its only mods were Shankle 8L cams (11mm), Sprint ram tubes with low restriction air cleaners, and electronic ignition. Of the increase, 8 hp was the cams and 5 the air intake, the latter verified by dyno testing the stock and modified systems.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts