Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Amazing how within an hour on Ebay you can generate a $ 18500 bid.
Smells very fishy to me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I could mention that this is the second time my car has been listed on Ebay. My guess is that somebody had been watching the car the first time around and chose to bid this time.

In any case, I was proud to share this beautiful car with fellow Alfa enthusiasts. I was looking forward to the same type of constructive commenting and discussions with knowledgeable Alfa fans that I experienced the first time I posted my vehicle. I guess I wasn't expecting comments questioning my integrity.

Having said that, if something feels amiss, I suggest contacting Ebay's fraud department.

If you are genuinely interested in learning more about this vehicle, or if you would just like to contribute to a conversation about the car itself, I would love to hear your comments.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Looks very nice from here, but the black rockers and engine bay will be red flags to some. And it's not that unusual for a high starting bid to get in instantly one way or another; certainly doesn't make the whole thing fishy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Roger,

Appreciate the comment. This was actually one of the same discussions I had previously with others. The rockers were protected with a type of coating which helps to protect them from stone chips and ultimately rust. It is unfortunate that it masks the original color of the rockers.

On the other hand, I have had other 1750 owners tell me I am lucky that it is coated because their rockers have deteriorated from chips, cracks, and rust.

Pros and Cons...

·
Registered
86 Posts
This is a twin to my second Alfa (first was a Guilietta Spider). Loved the color then and now. I am not surprised at the quick bid.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
That does not mean anything Whoever made the bid. It is still reserve not met.

I guess he/she was willing to buy it at $18K but as all we know this car is worth more than that.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The Guilietta was a red '57. Of course, back then they were both just used cars. I would be bidding on this one, but have waaay too many projects: 71 GTV, 80 Spider, 86 GTV6. Along with a couple of finished cars: 86 GTV6 3.0 and 1975 Spider. BTW, Giorgio 68, 18k is a good opening bid - it is where it ends that counts. The surprise expressed earlier was at how quickly the bid was placed - I merely agreed that the bid is not surprising for the quality of the car. Again, good luck with the sale.

·
Registered
426 Posts
fyi, those panels that are covered in "rust protectant" tend to rust from the inside out, not the other way around, hence that stuff is doing nothing to preserve the metal. I would suspect its hiding something else, like previous rust repair.

·
Registered
414 Posts
The person who painted my spider after doing a competant rocker repair put on the same panels to protect against rock chips, but painted over them in body color. I agree that rust works from the inside out, but they might have been honestly put on as protection, rather than as coverups. You can't know for sure, which is why I originally pointed out that they would be a red flag for some. See the photo for how they don't work; those are rust bubbles forming under the protective material.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts