Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a long hibernation of aprox 18 years I'm getting this car back on the road. I'm by no means an expert, and by all measurements an amateur, so I recommend you follow this if your want to get a confidence boost on your own skills:)

The car looks to bee in very good condition, and people with far more experience than me have concluded so as well.

Will share some pictures on the process so far, leading up to where I'm at right now.

Attachments

·
Registered
434 Posts
Good luck with the re-commission.

Looks to be a lovely car, I like silver!

Black interior?

Cheers,

Paul.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
What's done and whats left

Welcome and congratulations. If you can use tools, you can do a lot of the work. What are your plans?
Thank you, I have some tools and share a garage with a much more skilled friend. He lends me tools and knowledge which is of grat help.
My plan is quite simply to make it a good functional driver. Not fanatical about originality, but like the idea of making it handle and drive like when they were delivered new.

This is what is have done so far over the winter:
- New refurbished calipers and new pads
- New break hoses(the short flexible ones)
- Replaced one break line on the back left as it showed signs of corrosion.
- New dyno with built in regulator
- New water-pump after the old one was leaking from the center. New hoses as well (have not fitted the one going to the heater, as heater-unit is not working at all)
- New tyres, got the PIRELLI 165HR14 CINTURATO after some arguing with my wallet (still unresolved). Really happy with how they handle and feel.
- Replaced defect coil.
- New horns and got some help getting them working.
- Got a garage to adjust camber, toe, caster (big improvement)
- GOT PLATES! Showed the car, and after som minor adjustments got it approved! I'ts not a rolling project.

That brings us up to date.
More specifically to yesterday, when I brought the car to a friend who has a garage where you can get under the car. Is it called a pit? Anyway there we figured out why the car has a thumping sound from the back when accelerating from first, and also in general. The bearing inside the center bearing support had failed resulting in the rumbling. Now trying to figure out exactly what I need to shop to fix it. And because we were so happy to fint the problem I didn't take pictures and I'm now wondering what center bearing support and bearing to get. Did all 1750s have hydraulic cluthes?

Also I'm strugling to find a good manual for the car. Any tips on where to get is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
434 Posts
My goodness that interior looks to be in fantastic condition.

Sounds like you are on the right path....

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
5,496 Posts
Lovely car - congratulations!

Regarding the center bearing, all the 1750/2000 share the same part. You will likely need both the bearing and the support. Classic Alfa has them:

https://classicalfa.com/gb028-propshaft-centre-support-hydraulic-clutch-cars/

https://classicalfa.com/gb030hd-propshaft-centre-bearing-skf-or-fag/

Should probably replace the rubber doughnut while you have it out too:

https://classicalfa.com/gb031-1-propshaft-front-doughnut-coupling-heavy-duty/

And since you'll want to take the driveshaft to a shop that specializes in driveshafts (you'll not be able to get the bearing off without a press or at least a serious puller) you may as well have them balance it all.

Have fun!

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you gprocket and ossodiseppia, parts are now ordered, and several shop-manuals downloaded. Looking forward to reading up, and also getting rid of that rumbling sound:)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Congratulations! What a beautiful car! Looks to be in fantastic condition. Please share with us the cars history. And upload tons of pictures. I want to see more! :nerd:
Best regards,
Mathias

·
Registered
119 Posts
What a great 1750, I owned a 1971 USA version many years back. I love those seats. More photos, under the hood as well.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Congratulation, interior looks stunning. I have just purchased a RHD 1750 GTV series 1 , same colour , with a rather unusual history : first and only owner being a Japanese collector who placed an order with Alfa Romeo and had it shipped to Japan in 1969. Sadly he passed away and the car became available after 50 years.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Portello now there’s a story! Not to hijack this thread, start a new one and tell us all
The full story (with pics please!)

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's been a busy winter with kid number two arriving this fall, and work taking up the rest of my time. Anyway, here is whats going on with the Alfa. Got the parts ready to replace center bearing bought and ready to be done, but waiting for the winter to end to get it somewhere suitable to do the job.

The heater fan engine was not working, so got it out, after a bit of "#$", then found leak on the driver side coolant hose valve, followed the leak down the footweel and found....rust:(

So two projects now:
1. Fix heater.
2. Fix rust.

1: Should i get the whole unit out or is it easier to replace valve, and hoses on booth side without getting it out.

2:
Any tips on how to prep and how much to place when fixing this rust is much appreciated. Got a ned floorpan for the entire footwell ready to be used.

·
Administrator
12,114 Posts
My suggestion is to remove the floor, and sill, carpet and see how bad the floor and sill panels are. Hopefully localised rust.

Now because your car appears so good, I suggest doing a part repair properly butt welded to the rest of good floor. I suggest this because if you can prevent the need to go too deep you will be able to keep the originalness of the rest of the car.

If funds are good you could make the repair piece from a AlfaHolics, etc. new floor panel.

So it all depends what you discover. Hopefully a full restoration is not required, which while I am doing one and there are some excellent examples on this site, they are a massive task that take a long time and lots of $'s
Pete

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My suggestion is to remove the floor, and sill, carpet and see how bad the floor and sill panels are. Hopefully localised rust.

Now because your car appears so good, I suggest doing a part repair properly butt welded to the rest of good floor. I suggest this because if you can prevent the need to go too deep you will be able to keep the originalness of the rest of the car.

If funds are good you could make the repair piece from a AlfaHolics, etc. new floor panel.

So it all depends what you discover. Hopefully a full restoration is not required, which while I am doing one and there are some excellent examples on this site, they are a massive task that take a long time and lots of $'s
Pete
Good advise Pete, I have already bought the alfaholics piece with the profiles and will remove sill, and carpet etc to inspect. Do you have any recomondations for material to cover it with? the inner layer?

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Portello now there’s a story! Not to hijack this thread, start a new one and tell us all
The full story (with pics please!)

Cheers.
well for a start I am glad to have confirmed that a ( limited perhaps ) number of Japanese connoisseurs placed orders at Alfa Romeo as early as 1969. Actually I have knowledge of even much earlier, 1965 ( GT.....) I can only picture the disruption brought on the streets of Japan by such "alien" cars compared to the fleet of local cars there. Many think that Alfa Romeos import started in mid '80 / '90 while the reality is different. Chapeau !

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts