Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 573 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello out there...Im very excited with this new project and Im going to be doing everything the correct way and no expense spared....I have stripped my vehicle...done a full inventory of what ws removed, identified what can be reconditioned, what can be thrown away and what is missing and/or needed to be replaced......this has taken me 2 weeks..... and now I have everything bagged labelled and the shell of the car ready for body work......I have been very lucky, this car has been garaged for many years it is very straight and has minimal rust!!!

I am going down the chemical approach for paint strippping to bear metal....

Anyway...this week end I was fortunate to come across a fantastic example of original 1750 wooden steering wheel. It also has a signature beautifully engraved in it…"VG Hellebore" and Im not sure of the name I think its German or something…….anybody know?

Anyway, my immediate problem with the steering wheel is the centre badge seems to be damaged but it seems to be pressed into the plastic surround….I noticed replacements on the internet, but I cannot for the life of me see how to remove the current badge from the plastic surround, without damaging the plastic cap.

Does anyone have any tips on how this is removed?

The badge in question:

BADGE.jpg

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
he'll read it, don't worry:D

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hello !

I am no Papajam, but i think Hellebore was the original supplier of some steering wheels for Alfa Romeo, I have seen the description on an original GTA steering wheel, and it is also on my replica GTA steering wheel...

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Hello !

I am no Papajam, but i think Hellebore was the original supplier of some steering wheels for Alfa Romeo, I have seen the description on an original GTA steering wheel, and it is also on my replica GTA steering wheel...
Yeah Hellebore made the steering wheels for ALfa Romeo of which the 1750 GTV steering wheel is the nicest. Now can we move on a see some photos of your strip down.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no interesting photos as yet...just started stripping and will have it in the body shop in 2-3 weeks time, whwre I hope to catalogue some great photos...the colour is originally that mustard yellow colour - an educated guess would suggest its Giallo Ochre or something...but I am going to go Alfa Red and Tan interior....

This is my first project...Im new at this so bear with me..

Gentelmen I understand that there has been a number of threads around regarding the correct colour Red but does anyone have the definitive conclusion to the correct colour specifications for the authentic alfa romeo red....?

from the sounds of things it seems that there must have been a number of variations of red?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alfa red

Is there any resource that ctalaogues these variations on the internet with colour swatches as well..?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am also embroiled in a debate between my father the traditionalist and my engineering colleagues. The following confgiuration has been suggested fior my 1969 1750 GT restoration where my intention is to drive it regularly and not as much a Sunday car:

1. Drop the 1750 engine for the 2 litre due to better torque characterisitcs of the 2 litre engine.
2.Maintain the 1750 gearbox and differential combination coupled with the 2 litre engine.
3. during the engine rebuild; replace with high compression performance pistons kit for better perfomance.
4. also modifiy the exhaust valve seats to take premium unleaded fuel...
5. one of my engineers has designed and prefected / tested a high perfomance but also road driving practical cam design and suggested we include this in the build...

Im trying to get it correct the first time so any feeedback or opinons from those who have been faced with these similar configuration decision points 1 to 5 would be greatly appreciated....

My father being a traditionalist is against all these modifications and suggests to keep the engine original....I can appreciate this also from a historical preservation approach by being sensitive to the design but why not couple it with small improvements and practicalities as well???

What do you guys think about this??

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Hello FMD159....so what model 69 GT Veloce do you have? Is it the 105.51 US model? or the Euro model? When you say you want to do it the right way, what are you aiming for with your car....back to it's original as delivered condition (or at least as close as possible given the parts availability dilemma) ...or.......do you want to turn it into a GTV that you always wanted to have?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
no interesting photos as yet...just started stripping and will have it in the body shop in 2-3 weeks time, whwre I hope to catalogue some great photos...the colour is originally that mustard yellow colour - an educated guess would suggest its Giallo Ochre or something...but I am going to go Alfa Red and Tan interior....

T?

What do you guys think about this??
I don't think very much of this ? Sorry but,

PLEASE DON"T go changing a series1 Giallo Ochre 1750 to boring old predictible, lets be like everyone else and paint it resale no imagination RED:eek::eek::eek::eek:

For myself and I know I am not alone here, would KILL for an original Series 1 Giallo Ochre 1750. It is by far the coolest colour you could ever have a 1750 in. Why do you think that they chose a Giallo Ochre car for the original series 1 promotional material ? Because its bloody cool!!!!!

Changing the colour of a car that you are planning to do a no expense restoration is also not a very smart thing to do, it will blight the value of the car. ViN numbers can be checked with Alfa by potential buyers and originality buff don't like it when they see that a car has been changed radically from its original colour that it was painted in the factory.

Giallo Ochre is a very in demand but exceedingly hard to find colour on original 1750s. Red one one the other hand are a dime a dozen.

Moreover you have suggested that you will use tan for the interior. Regardless of whether you take my advice or do the crimminal act of changing to red, DO NOT use a tan interior on either of those to colour choices. The reason being that ALFA were very strict with how they colour schemed the cars. Basically in short red & giallo ochre got black interiors. Green, Blue and silver cars got tan interiors and white cars either had black or red interiors. They did it for a very good reason, Red 1750's with tan interiors look strange just as cars in blue look strange with black interiors.
This is another thing that the purists will curse you for.

Look I know it is none of my business what you do, but if you car is so original and straight as you say it is and you plan on doing a major resto, then HONESTLY the best course you can take is to keep that car as close to original as possible. Please please stop for a day or to and take a read in the GT section of this BB and see what people are doing. Also check the restoration section, correct colour schemes for 105s is covered extensively there.

I would just hate to see an original s1 1750 have these sort of incorrect changes. I lot of nasty things were done to these cars in the 80's and if you have a nice original one which survived that period without being butchered than you have a duty to keep it that way. Originalirty will become more and more important as the value of these cars go up, and the ones that have been kept true to how that individual car rolled out of the factory will be at a premium.

I can't tell you what to do, but please stop and have a read through the BB first before you go any further.

Ps there is nothing wrong with a 1750 engine, it is actually a more torquey free reving engine than its two litre equivalent and doesn't give the head gasket trouble that the 2000 did. I would tweak the 1750 engine before I resorted to switching it

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Hey phil.
I sort of agree with you.
I had a 1973 1600 junior in that yellow ocre colour for many years.I didnt really like the colour untill i repainted it.Looked fantastic.I sold it before i finished it.I still see it and cry cause it looked so good.
Everyone had their opinions on what they want to do=colour of paint and trim etc.I would rather buy an original car and paint it back to the original colour + trim.As you know,I get to see a lot of 105s in various conditions and sometimes am asked for valuations.Originality makes the money.I remember your green 1750,and thought what a great restoration it would be if someone bought it and did it back to original colours.Yes,there are many colours that people paint their cars,but the original colours look fantastic when painted
new.Just my 3 cents worth-inflation.

Robert

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Hey again Phil.
The 1750 revs better than the 2 litre but the 2 litre has more torque(pulling power).We are talking about standard engines here.

robert

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
While I don't really like the Giallo Ochre color, if you happen to have a 105.51, you have a rare car. There were only 640 built, so just based on that, its worth keeping correct. The 1750 isn't a bad engine, it does get good mileage, and goes ok. A freshly rebuilt one might go better than mine (mine sat for 30 years, but still doesn't leak) but they go ok. I'd say you could get away with doing some suspension work, and other stuff that could be undone in a weekend without anyone knowing the better would be good. Thats what I'm doing with mine, however I'm also trying to keep it as original as possible. I'm also going to install a set of panasports, but beyond that I'm not going to do anything.

Do what you want, but I have found that a really correct car gets lots of attention, even if it isn't perfect. I understand the wish to build the car you really want, but keeping a 105.51 correct will be worth it in the long run.

just my $.02

Will

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I know papjam is going to have an interesting opinion on this when he logs on.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm with ya' Phil. Giallo Ochre is a very cool colour. Second only to Bluette :D

There's a particular Giallo Ochre 1750 kicking around Brisbane wearing a set of Momo wheels, and even though the paint is a bit aged it's looks fantastic! Why would you want to change it?!

Back to FMD's original question on the steering wheel badge...
I bought one of the pictured badges from Classic Alfa as well. This is a self-adhesive badge, but the original is set in with some contact adhesive. Removal is simple - Get a sharp tipped knife, and use the tip to lift the old one out of the wheel centre. The contact adhesive will break away from the back of the badge and keep some of the silver paint from the old badge with it. Scrape all this out as well and stick in your new badge. This took me about 2 minutes to type, but only about 20 seconds to do.

Then, (and this bit is important, so read carefully)...
A Giallo Ochre 105 is a chick magnet. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT paint your car any other colour! ;)

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Gentlemen....I wish to thank you for your passionate responses, much appreciated and seriously considering your advice understandibly...I guess this colour just put me off because the current paintwork has deteriorated considerably...I guess I could warm to it if there was a good example of a freshly finished one in this colour.....maybe a metallica variation???

are there any good examples...of pics on the internet of this colour done on a coupe anywhere...

im married so the chick magnet is now biggie...but I definitely want style....!!!

1 - 20 of 573 Posts