Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi all, I realize this is a thread for the "links to alfas for sale elsewhere" section but I'm not yet able to post there.

Im a long time lurker, AROC club member with my 2020 Giulia, and very interested in taking the plunge into classic Alfa ownership.

Though I've been doing a lot of research on these cars (my main obsession is around 105 series coupes) I'd love to hear some analysis/opinions on this car from those who are more experienced than I. At face value I hate the non original yellow but if the price were right I would consider buying and refinishing in an appropriate color.

Thanks! Attaching some photos of my Giulia because we all love photos!

Wheel Tire Car Sky Vehicle

Wheel Cloud Tire Sky Vehicle

·
Administrator
'66 Sprint GT, '67 Duetto, '70 BMW 2800CS
13,068 Posts
I hate the non original yellow but if the price were right I would consider buying and refinishing in an appropriate color.
Agree - the color is a turn-off. But the selling price would have to be awfully low for your final cost to approximate the market-correct price of another car, after adding the expense of a full repaint. You might check the cost of doing a full repaint - including pulling the engine, removing the underhood components, removing the interior, etc. - before assuming you can easily turn yellow to blue (or whatever). While you (and I) might not like this car's color, I doubt it will depress it's selling price on BaT. Still, it's an auction; anything can happen.

·
Registered
2022 Ocra Giulia QV, 1972 Giulia Super 1600
110 Posts
Hey, I know you 😁

That's a pretty striking GTV. Not my favorite, but cosmetically nice. If you don't like the yellow, you may be underestimating the cost of a repaint like AlfaJay said. It's about 3x what I thought it might be when I got mine. Not a fan of the steering wheel either, but that's an inexpensive fix.
Also, looks like that car is running without air filters. Seems to be some debate around whether that matters much.
Also, I'm gonna make a prediction that the price won't be right!

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Ditto on the color. I'm a big fan of Gallo Ochra but not this yellow. General observations, all my opinion FWIW:
Flying buttress seats are incredibly expensive to have reupholstered. Do you just fix the drivers seat, or do both seats so they match? If the wear spot on the drivers seat was easy to fix it would have been fixed by now.
Not a fan of the steering wheel or that wooden knob on the glove box.
The paint thickness readings would give me pause before pulling the trigger. I would definitely have a PPI done and have a professional check the body.
Freshly sprayed black undercoating always troubles me, especially with the rusty nuts and bolts showing. The rusty top of the gas tank and spare wheel bother me as well. If the inside of the trunk is that rusty, what about the rest of the car? The spare wheel well has definitely had some work done, both drain holes/plugs eliminated and still looks funky with some kind of thick material under the undercoating. Before pictures would have been a big plus.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, I know you 😁

That's a pretty striking GTV. Not my favorite, but cosmetically nice. If you don't like the yellow, you may be underestimating the cost of a repaint like AlfaJay said. It's about 3x what I thought it might be when I got mine. Not a fan of the steering wheel either, but that's an inexpensive fix.
Also, looks like that car is running without air filters. Seems to be some debate around whether that matters much.
Also, I'm gonna make a prediction that the price won't be right!
Hey!! Hope you and your Giulia are doing well. Enjoy these last few weeks of summer!

Thanks all for the feedback, I'm generally convinced by the "buy the best one you can afford" mindset that I hear so often... this is likely not that but it does check a lot of boxes.

That said I am looking for more of a driver than a full 100 point restoration.. mainly because my ideal car would be bumperless, fast road/track suspension, gta replica wheels, and AR 501 or 303. More of a poor man's Alfaholics GTAr than a concourse car, and I'd hate to ruin a "perfect" original car if I didn't have to.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
I am with Pete on this one. Would sure like to see the pictures from before paint and recent undercoating.

·
Registered
2022 Ocra Giulia QV, 1972 Giulia Super 1600
110 Posts
Hey!! Hope you and your Giulia are doing well. Enjoy these last few weeks of summer!

Thanks all for the feedback, I'm generally convinced by the "buy the best one you can afford" mindset that I hear so often... this is likely not that but it does check a lot of boxes.

That said I am looking for more of a driver than a full 100 point restoration.. mainly because my ideal car would be bumperless, fast road/track suspension, gta replica wheels, and AR 501 or 303. More of a poor man's Alfaholics GTAr than a concourse car, and I'd hate to ruin a "perfect" original car if I didn't have to.
Oh I agree with your sentiment. It’s a nice car. I’d buy this car in a heartbeat really. I too wanted a bumper-less GTV and this car also has the 1750 which is the best compromise between all the motors from everything I read. I would have no interest in a concours car either. Just something that looks sweet from 6 feet is what I wanted and what I ended up getting 😊

·
Administrator
13,068 Posts
Wouldn't it be more appropriate for this thread to be in the coupe section?
Yup. Just moved it.

6alfas said:
It should actually be in the Alfas for sale elsewhere but the poster doesn't have enough threads to post there. The admins could move it if the so desired.
The "Alfas for sale elsewhere" is more for members to list car ads that they find interesting, but aren't necessarily interested in buying themselves. What DJM seems to be doing here is announcing his interest in acquiring a GT and using a car currently listed on BaT as a way to open the conversation. I think the thread is OK in the "GT (1963 - 1977) section. I did edit the reference to BaT out of the thread title.

Reactions: DJM

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh I agree with your sentiment. It’s a nice car. I’d buy this car in a heartbeat really. I too wanted a bumper-less GTV and this car also has the 1750 which is the best compromise between all the motors from everything I read. I would have no interest in a concours car either. Just something that looks sweet from 6 feet is what I wanted and what I ended up getting 😊
And what a car you ended up with! Believe me, I was much closer than 6 feet and it looked SWEET 🤣

As far as the green junior also on BAT, that's a great example of something I'd feel terrible if I modified because of how great and original it is.. beautiful thing, not to mention Scalino 😍

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yup. Just moved it.

The "Alfas for sale elsewhere" is more for members to list car ads that they find interesting, but aren't necessarily interested in buying themselves. What DJM seems to be doing here is announcing his interest in acquiring a GT and using a car currently listed on BaT as a way to open the conversation. I think the thread is OK in the "GT (1963 - 1977) section. I did edit the reference to BaT out of the thread title.
Yup. Just moved it.

Thank you Jay!

·
Administrator
13,068 Posts
Auction for the yellow '69 1750 GTV ended at $38,000 RNM. What do you think? Would you have expected the bidding to have gone higher? The reserve to be < $38K?

·
Administrator
13,068 Posts
I wouldn't. Not for this car in this market/economy. 38K is higher than I would offer - even if I did have interest in this one.
Yes. I think 6alfas summarized it well when he wrote: "I would definitely have a PPI done and have a professional check the body. Freshly sprayed black undercoating always troubles me, especially with the rusty nuts and bolts showing. The rusty top of the gas tank and spare wheel bother me as well. If the inside of the trunk is that rusty, what about the rest of the car?"

If a prospective buyer did a PPI, and it came back very clean, then $38K might be a great price (if you could handle that yellow!). But without a PPI, $38K is a lot to gamble.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Agreed. I also think the other issue why this one did not meet its reserve, is there are currently 10 other Alfas listed on BaT at the moment, including a really sweet 67 Veloce and 73 GTV. So, a lot of supply and other options out there!

Reactions: PSk
1 - 20 of 23 Posts