Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This 1969 Alfa Romeo GTV 1750 in Giallo Ocra (Yellow Ocra) embodies the style and performance of the Italian car maker in the late 1960's. This is a rare opportunity to own and drive a classic piece of Alfa Romeo history.

Everything about this classic is original and in working condition (all instruments, panels, switches, etc.)

After 42 years, this car is still running beautifully. The engine is in pristine condition and still rides like a dream.

With the exception of some minor dents and dings (highlighted in the photos) the body looks great. The rare, and distinctive Giallo Ocra paint is completely original and truly unique.

The car is protected with both a Ziebart undercoating as well as an additional rust-proofer. There is not a trace of rust anywhere on the car.

The interior is like new and features the “flying buttress” seats which are both comfortable and sporty. Brand new custom floor mats with golden emblems are a great compliment to the interior.

Listed below are all of the updates and repairs that have been made recently.

· New Fuel Pump and fuel filters; Fuel tank has been re-coated with Tephlon

· 1 New brake booster

· Master cylinder has been rebuilt

· New tail-straight pipe

· New Pads and Rotors

· New U-Joint, Center supports and bearing

· 2 New Motor Mounts

· New Trans Mount

· All new Tie Rods

· New Clutch Master and Clutch Slave, Flex hose and clutch disc

· New Custom Gold Emblem Floor Mats

· 2 New Rear Quarter Panel Badges

· New Caster Bushing

· New inner and outer Shift Boot

· New Battery

· New Tires

Check out the link to our Ebay auction!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Alfa-Romeo-GTV-1969-Alfa-Romeo-GTV-1750-Yellow-Ocra-Very-Rare-/160581712065?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item25636a78c1

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,237 Posts
I checked out the eBay listing and found your GTV to be a very nice, original car. However, the black painted rockers are a huge red flag. It would be wise to include several photos of the rockers and the underside of the car.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked out the eBay listing and found your GTV to be a very nice, original car. However, the black painted rockers are a huge red flag. It would be wise to include several photos of the rockers and the underside of the car.

Good luck.
Thanks for your comment. We believe that when the Ziebart undercoating was applied years ago, the rockers were also coated to protect from rusting.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I wanted to make sure I get this right since the "original" term gets thrown around in a lot of different meanings these days. They are original only once ...

Everything on this car is as it left the factory:
  • The paint is the original factory paint, not a repaint at some point
  • All interior is also as it left the factory - No carpets, panels upholstery, headliner, etc. has ever been replaced or touched
  • The engine compartment
and all engine components are as left the factory (Save for the usual wear and tear)

Than this would be an amazing car but black rockers and engine compartment (Paint and fresh feel) throw me off. Do you have any facts to substantiate this, by the way?

Thanks for clarifying. Awesome color.

Mike

·
Registered
1965 Giulia Sprint GT
348 Posts
Well, since it wasn't Ziebarted at the factory, it isn't as it left the factory. But then, it would probably have rusted away if it wasn't for the Ziebart! In fact, simply adding a radio when buying from the dealer, or having the "from new" dealer license plate frames would make it no longer factory original. We have to be just as careful when rigidly defining original, since very few cars driven off the showroom floor could accurately be called factory original. Ultimately, I guess it is up to the seller to accurately describe the car, and up to the buyer to decide if he is comfortable with the level of originality. Surely everything else is just hyperbole?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, since it wasn't Ziebarted at the factory, it isn't as it left the factory. But then, it would probably have rusted away if it wasn't for the Ziebart! In fact, simply adding a radio when buying from the dealer, or having the "from new" dealer license plate frames would make it no longer factory original. We have to be just as careful when rigidly defining original, since very few cars driven off the showroom floor could accurately be called factory original. Ultimately, I guess it is up to the seller to accurately describe the car, and up to the buyer to decide if he is comfortable with the level of originality. Surely everything else is just hyperbole?
I appreciate all the comments and feedback. I don't want to mislead anyone with my listing so I will be making some revisions to my Ebay description. In addition to the Ziebart, there was some interior carpeting replaced which I will be sure to indicate.

It's great to see the attention to detail and enthusiasm everyone shares about their Alfa knowledge!

Thanks for the tips everyone, keep them coming!

·
Registered
1965 Giulia Sprint GT
348 Posts
@630AlfaRomeo:
You have a beautiful car, in lovely condition. I know it will make it's new owner very happy. I just want you to know that I'm not picking on your description. By way of description: I have a '78 Cadillac that my parents bought when new. I remember in the early eighties that it was involved in a minor "fender bender" and was repaired at the time by the dealer with original parts. Is it "factory original"? No. But I do believe that it is an original car. I personally feel that you don't need to be factory original to be original, but everybody's opinion is different.
Good luck with the sale. It's a pretty car. And a desirable one.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Folks, original is original and it is original only once. There should not be ambiguity. There are preservation classes that do a good job in defining what "original" means.

And Antoni is right: Each seller should find out what the car is. But there is no question that original paint means as painted the first time in the car's live. Original interior means the vinyl or leather is the one that was put on in the beginning. Any exceptions can be stated appropriately.

Not meant to you, 630 AlfaRomeo, but I am very sick and tired of all of those restored, highly original cars out there ....

·
Super Moderator
11,550 Posts
Wow, what a nicely preserved car. I'm not entering into the debate as to whether it is "original", just commenting.

One of the photos that has sparked discussion is this one showing the black paint underhood:

That could well be the dealers' quality standard when applying that Ziebart stuff to these cars. It's a shame they did such a sloppy job (and that they applied it to the visible part of the rockers too), but I guess that's how things were done in 1969. Obviously they weren't worried about how people would critique their work 42 years later!

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
I bought a new yellow ochre GTV in 69 in Montreal. It did no receive a Ziebart treatment. By early 72 the rockers (and rear wheel arches) were a nice rust colour and full of holes :(

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
AAAHHH originality...allow me to pontificate....Is it truly possible to own a machine, put it through normal use, and not expect some degree of wear? For example, the driver's side outboard side bolster on the Recarro seats of a GTV 6 gets rubbed and eventually worn everytime one enters and exits the car. Does repairing this side bolster in the correct fashion disqualify the originality of this car? Is it possible to drive a car 1000 miles and not absorb stone chips on the front fascia, bumper, headlights, or leading edge of a fender? Does restoring these surfaces disqualify originality? I have yet to see the rubber seal of a series 4 Spider driver's door that is not torn. Is the correct replacement seal not original? My point is that I firmly believe the focus should be on molested vs non-molested. To buy a mobile piece of art, whose greatest benefit is its movement, tie it up like a veal and not allow it to move for 42 years, only to boast of its "originality", is not for me. Use it, enjoy it, most importantly SHARE IT, and when something needs repair, be true to it......;)

·
Registered
1965 Giulia Sprint GT
348 Posts
alfaholico, I think you and I share similar thoughts about originality. Otherwise, what about changing tires, filters, hoses, belts...how far do you go before it's no longer original?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Guys, check out the preservation class rules at all the big coucourses. All state that cars are classified original with a certain percentage of original paint, body, interior, engine, underside (Most often in excess of 80%). But all post that the cars are meant to be driven and the replacement of normal wear and tear items is fully ok.

I think there has been ambiguity and mis-use for a long time. I am fine if you want some ambiguity in defining "wear and tear":)

This still looks like a nice car in one of my favorite Alfa colors. Just wanted to make sure we are on the same page as to what it is.

Thanks for letting me rant.

Mike

·
Registered
713 Posts
First of all. Whatever you call it this looks like a fantastic car. And it looks to be a survivor that hopefully will be preserved and not restored IMHO.

I disagree with most of you however on definition of the word original. Original and Preserved or Preservation Class are two totally different things.

To me an original car is one in it's original unmodified specification, even if restored. Additionally original paint color, NOS parts replacement instead of repro, ect are the way an original tag is earned. A car can actually be "original" and restored to better than as delivered condition.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Curtis, then you and I are in agreement...My point in stating to "be true to it" is exactly that....Putting a 2 litre into a stepnose is not my idea of original..Rebuilding the 1600 head is (maybe throwing in Veloce cams!)...Painting the fenders in the correct paint and in the correct style (lacquer vs. enamel) is....:D:eek:;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts