Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First of all, for those among us who have tried and tried to accept the Giallo Okra, but just can't swallow it, here's a remarkable option.

2007 Ford Mustang
Paint Code U3
Name: Valencia
Formula 75777

After seeing the color on the Mustang, and seeing the paint chip at a paintshop, I took a known original painted bolt and compared it to the actual paint on the car...

Wow ! Nearly a perfect match, but the hue is a bit more orange, and value much more intense than the rather drab Okra. This WILL be the color of my 69 junior.

The paint can be had as either a single or two stage. The two stage paint is PPG Delcon 2000 at $104.53 per Quart (1/1 thinning ratio). The Clear coat is 52.89 per quart and $21.18 for the hardener.

I just got the seats back too. They were done by a local shop using a pattern I picked in heavyweight vinyl. It turned out that the name of the pattern is Milano. It's exactly the same surface as the original rear seat, except the heavier weight allows for more definition in the pattern and a much richer feel and look than the original. He did both front and rear seats, the headrests, the side panels, and shifting boot, for $875. His work is excellent, especially compared to the rather tacky stitching and finish of the original. They're in my studio so have a look.

I have had to rework nearly every square inch of the body for rust, dings, bulges, bends, and hail damage. And though there are still issues with body lines (I think it got rolled in a ditch) and alignment, it's pretty close.

So this is how my rescue ( I won't call it a restoration) is going.

Attachments

·
Registered
418 Posts
That's a shame, I really like the Giallo Ocra... Oh well, it is your car and if you'll enjoy it more, the more power to you.

I'm guessing it is this colour?

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the critique 'O". Yes, that is the color.

I have been wrestling with the Okra, but when I did a side by side comparison, I became convinced. I do not care for the bright sunshine/daisy yellow or the Lambo yellows either.

If you look at the inside of the junior's engine compartment, and the picture here of the mustang, you'lll see how really close these colors are. The Valencia has just a bit more POP. I really think that given the name of the paint, Ford might be paying homage to the color, and to Italian cars. Afterall, their new models are strongly suggestive of the 60's vintage cars and others on this forum have noted the style similarities of the period Mustangs and Alfas. I intend to explore that avenue of Hot Rod Muscle, subtlety be damned.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Ummm.. Valencia is a city in Spain.... Most famous for its...

Oranges!! (the fruit that is, not the colour). There is also a racetrack there, but it is not that old.

Im guessing that has more to do with it than paying homage to er.. italy.

:D

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Spain of course...yes...I realized that after I Posted
valencia..venice...old man.......
my faux pas
Anyway, I like the color

·
Registered
43 Posts
sketches

Interested in having someone draw/render in finished shape? I am currently an academy of art design majoring in car design. If interested I can do some different color versions. I can also draw it with diffirent body modifications. I can possibly even design. Check out me and my wife's site www.romalisa.com. Let me know,

roman

ps here is an example of some work I did for a saleen owner

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Principal Translations/Traduzioni principali:
ocra nf ochre (a yellow-orange colour)
ocra nf okra (vegetables)
Compound Forms/Forme composte:
di colore ocra adj ochre (colour ochre)
di colore ocra giallo adj yellow-earth

Although someone had suggested that Okra might refer to the blossom of the Okra Plant, and even though it is spelled with a K rather than a C, it seemed more logical that the color actually was Ochre Yellow. Apparently the Spanish use of the word is also very similar, which may explain why there seems a close relationship to the Valencia color, my faux pas notwithstanding.

So while the Okra giallo might be Earth/yellow

I rather like the Valencia as a

YELL 'o Giallo

I'll be putting on my final primer coat this weekend. Well, At least I hope it's the final coat.

Hey, how about this for the photoshop guy working on the wheels:

The 105 in the Valencia color, with a red/white/green Italiano racing stripe alongside the body at the bottom of the door. And maybe Alfa Romeo in black script transversing the stripe in a skew?
Add a white racing roundelle with the number 09 to the door.
And maybe pick up those mustang wheels.

Then everyone can critique. I'm open for suggestions.

·
Premium Member
21,359 Posts
I like all the period late 60s/early 70s colors Alfa used. I've had two beige cava Berlinas and a metallic olive one. Never failed to get a response out of people.

Andrew

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just an update on the Okra Giallo/Valencia U3 color issue. This afternoon I shot the base coat on the jambs and inside edges of the boot and bonnet. Under halogen lights, it was virtually impossible to distinguish the two colors save for the slightly brighter Valencia. And even after the clear coat, the color match was very, very close. The real difference shows up primarily as a value intensity. The Valencia just explodes next to the Giallo Okra, though on close inspection it is hard to discern any great hue change. I could barely discern the overspray on the original color. I now have no concerns about a color variance between the original paint in the boot and the engine compartment, as the difference will be negligible.

I think this will be one hot looking hot rod. But since my digital camera is kaput, it'll be a while before I can post pictures. Nevertheless, for those of you considering a color other than Giallo Okra, I reiterate that I think this would be an excellent choice.

We wasted the last bit of the pint on a rear fender and shot a bit of clear coat. I am impressed. For me, this is a real update of the color and I am really happy with it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As I am doing final cleanup, I am finding all sorts of evidence of the really tough times this car has seen. What I thought were simply small abrasions in the passenger side windows, turned out to be gouges in the glass apparently caused by rocks, probably granite or basalt, from the car being on its side. Distortions in the body bolsters under the hood indicate a front impact at the right front of the car, and probably a rollover, which coincides with distorted frame rails where hooks had been applied. All in all, the idea of a rally type finish seems more appropriate than ever.

It's a hot rod for sure! Pictures soon.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, there are some fuzzy edges, and some not-so-perfect lines. So in a couple weeks, I'll give her a good rub down, and put on some makeup.

Whaddaya think of the color?

Attachments

·
Registered
418 Posts
It is very nice, looks a bit more modern than the Ocra, but looking forward to seeing some pictures in sunlight :)

I am guessing that the colour will not "fade" as much as the Ocra, but instead retain the orangy look.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Actually looks a lot better than I thought it would. Congrats!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It really jumps up the yellow scale in sunlight. I'll have some outdoor pictures in a couple weeks or so, after I reninstall all the remaining chrome, interiors, etc.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
I am impressed. For me, this is a real update of the color and I am really happy with it.

That's what really matters in the end.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the supportive comments. Though, after the next stage of development, which will take it over the top, it'll be love/hate mail I suspect.

Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts