Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Calling all experts:

I am trying to improve my car and get it as original and correct as possible. I will change the clamps, washer bag, ignition wires. Is there anything else you guys can see that is not correct?

Thanks

Sam

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
To the best of my knowledge...

Brake fluid reservoir is backwards
Wrong overflow bottle (shouldn't have the indent)
Wrong radiator (overflow line comes off of right side of filler)
Wrong booster (should be Lockheed on single booster Euro models)

·
Premium Member
21,714 Posts
If these are our complaints, that's pretty good! I'd say it's cleaner, nicer than new. Looks great.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Brake fluid reservoir is backwards
Wrong booster (should be Lockheed on single booster Euro models)
Hi Shadetree:

Thanks for your help. I am not sure if all Euro models had Lockheed boosters. I bought the car this way so I have no way of knowing what the original one was. Where would I be able to research this?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
A few general GTV observations...

The rubber gasket along the cowling doesn't look right... it should be somewhat similar in cross section to the trunk gasket that seals the rear of the hood.

The hood torsion springs should be painted body color.. personally I prefer them polished like yours and have done the same on my car... but it might cost you half a point if youre looking to get your car judged...

Not sure when the factory transitioned from the older allen head valve cover nuts to the later version but it looks odd to have those on a GTV instead of a Giulia... they may very well be correct for your car... in either case, the phenlic washers are on the front four and the aluminum washers only on the rear two if its the same as the US version...

I've never seen silver horns before.. I thought the FIAM horns were black...

These are really nit-picks... your bay shows beautifully.. kudos to you!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
One more item common to many GTVs was an ignition wire clip on the breather hose clamp closest to the valve cover... a pretty hard item to find...

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to all for your kind words. I will post pics of the car once I sort everything. I plan on bringing it to the convention this year.

Sam

·
Registered
464 Posts
A few general GTV observations...

Not sure when the factory transitioned from the older allen head valve cover nuts to the later version but it looks odd to have those on a GTV instead of a Giulia... they may very well be correct for your car... in either case, the phenlic washers are on the front four and the aluminum washers only on the rear two if its the same as the US version...
My '69 1750 has the allen head cam cover bolts.

My problem with your engine bay...it's too clean and neat.

Cheers,
wazza.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for your comments. I will order the rubber seal and look into the horns. The community is a great resource.

Sam

·
Registered
1,411 Posts

Wrong overflow hose??? Any opinions on this hose and whether black rubber was original? I think the original overflow hose was more greenish-yellow and flexible plastic-vinyl material (maybe with nylon reinforcing).

·
Premium Member
2,540 Posts
Sam's GT is a S1 1750 Euro. I think the battery has the wrong post configuration (but that wouldn't bother me) the negative post clamp is obviously wrong. The rad overflow line is like that on replacement rads so it can be used on S1 or S2 1750s ( I wouldn't change the rad for that) The over flow hose was likely tigon tube. My dads S1 US had green wires. The booster is likely correct, I think Berlinas had the Lockheed. Sam a few more pics from other angles may help. I agree with most of the other comments about the engine bay. I can't see what you have but the fan should be the wider blade not the thin late euro blade.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Pretty sure the lockheed booster is correct for the single circuit brakes. Both my 1750 GTV and Spider have Lockheed. The green wires were original. I thought the early 1750's had the thin fan blade. I don't think the cam cover should have the rectangular boss down the intake side but both of my 1750's have the dented cam cover for the crossover. It's possibly a 2L cover. Most obvious--battery post configuration and cowl seal-- have been mentioned.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts