Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I need to replace the gauges and can't get to them with the radio in the way so I need to remove it. It doesn't work anyways and is not plugged in. However...I can't seem to remove it?! Anyone done this before?

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Radio Removal

Assuming you have a radio from the same era as the car, with a rectangular dial and, probably, mechanical pushbuttons, bordered by two control shafts, first disconnect the battery. Pull off the radios's knobs. Behind the knobs (there are probably two concentric controls on each shaft) you should find a nut on each shaft. These nuts hold the radio and fascia to the dashboard. Remove the nuts, then reach behind the radio and feel for a support running between the back of the radio to a crosspiece behind the dash. Loosen and remove this support. Also mind the connections for the antenna, power, and speakers. Once you have this worked out, the radio can be removed from behind the dash. This will give you better access to the gauges.

·
Super Moderator
11,130 Posts
Knowing the model of your Becker radio would help a lot. If it is anything like the Becker Europa that I have in my old BMW, then it doesn't mount the way rabhalter assumes it does. Yea, most radios of that era mounted that way, but the Europas fit into a DIN opening, and were held in place more elegantly.

Start as rabhalter describes: use a tiny screwdriver to remove the knobs and tone adjust. If yours is similar to the Europa, you won't see any nuts on the two shafts behind the knobs (of course, if you do, just remove them). At this point, the faceplate will just snap off - it doesn't take much force - there are four little clamps that hold it on, and a little pulling will release it.

Now you will see two vertical bars, held in with two hex-headed screws that also have slots. Loosen those screws - you don't need to remove them - and the two vertical bars will come loose. Remove the bar/screw assemblies (and for heaven's sake, don't lose them!), and the radio should just pull out toward you.

Attachments

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. It was the stupid little screws holding in the knobs that I couldnt find :) It was easy as cake from then on.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,040 Posts
Knowing the model of your Becker radio would help a lot. If it is anything like the Becker Europa that I have in my old BMW, then it doesn't mount the way rabhalter assumes it does. Yea, most radios of that era mounted that way, but the Europas fit into a DIN opening, and were held in place more elegantly.

Start as rabhalter describes: use a tiny screwdriver to remove the knobs and tone adjust. If yours is similar to the Europa, you won't see any nuts on the two shafts behind the knobs (of course, if you do, just remove them). At this point, the faceplate will just snap off - it doesn't take much force - there are four little clamps that hold it on, and a little pulling will release it.

Now you will see two vertical bars, held in with two hex-headed screws that also have slots. Loosen those screws - you don't need to remove them - and the two vertical bars will come loose. Remove the bar/screw assemblies (and for heaven's sake, don't lose them!), and the radio should just pull out toward you.
JJ - Becker America will renovate your radio and sells parts. Sorry JJ but one quick question for Alfajay -

Alfajay - I bought one of the Becker Europa II stereo radios and the DIN input dongle to play an i-POD into it (via Becker or e-Bay). Sounds great. BUT, I have an internal hidden antenna (in the parcel shelf) and the FM reception is spotty (in and out while driving) and AM is non-existent. Do you have any suggestions on antennas? I posted in Audio awhile back. I am reluctant to drill a hole for a fender mounted antenna but most blogs and posts I read say you need to. Do you have any magic juju?? Thanks, Bruce

1 - 6 of 6 Posts