Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It is with some trepidation that I list this car for my good friend, long time Alfa owner and fellow AROC, Atlanta Chapter, past president –W.L. Wagnon. This gorgeous 1969 Alfa Romeo 1750 GTV was picked up at the factory by its original caretaker, John Whey and transported to the Panama Canal Zone . We believe it was later brought into the United States by an American service man. According to the paperwork that came with the car, it was first registered in Georgia by my kids Great Uncle, Paul Spruell.

Over the years, the Wagnon’s family has enjoyed a great number of Alfa Romeo cars and several GTV’s. W.L. first drove the subject car in the summer of 1991, when as Chapter President, he was asked to give his opinion on this particular car by a prospective club member and purchaser. He realized this was an excellent example of the rare and very desirable ‘European specification’ GTV, that he had long dreamed of owing. Undeterred, he gave his honest opinion on this car. Soon, both the prospective club member and car disappeared! A few years later the car resurfaced in the possession of another good friend and chapter member; Maarten Quik. W.L. mentioned, that if Maarten ever decided to sell this car, he wanted first refusal!

In October of 1998, having waited for over seven years, W.L. was finally able to purchase the car of his dreams. This car is currently stabled with other Bertone’, Pininfarina and Zagato bodied collector cars of the Marque. The car is a fantastic ‘driver example’ of a rare and unique, European, 1750 GTV. It has its original engine, transmission, interior, European specification Weber Carburetors and less restrictive intake system. It also comes with the original (to Euro cars) 4:10 rear end, ‘park lights’ –combined high and low beam headlights and additional high beam driving lights (where U.S. spec cars have fog lights).

In addition to the nice original Euro Spec items, the car has a few additional performance enhancers, such as, International Auto Parts springs, Koni shock absorbers and a complete manifold back Stebro stainless steel exhaust system. The sweet running, 1750 engine was rebuilt years ago with 9.5:1 pistons, 11.0 mm lift cams, oversized valves, RML distributor along with a later model hot 105 coil. The car has five powder coated stock wheels and hub caps, five, 165x14” Verdestine tires with ‘deep’ tread, original type Cavis plug wires and a Facel electric fuel pump.

Despite being a capable performer (the car has been driven on many ‘out of state’ trips); this GTV has been detailed to a high standard and shows very well. It has won two ‘Palmetto Awards’ at the prestigious Hilton Head Concours and two ‘Outstanding in Class’ awards at the Highlands Motor Festival. It also received a ‘First in Class’ (Ferrari, Maserati and Alfa Romeo), at the 2004 National Fiat-Lancia Convention. This is the first GTV that I have ever driven and definitely a car that I would like to add to my modest Alfa collection. Unfortunately I can't keep them all.

I an not an expert on GTV's but will post several photographs of the car as time allows. If you are interested in buying this car and would like to check it out; please call W.L. between 10:00 am and 8:00 pm Eastern Time. His phone number in Stone Mountain Georgia is 770-491-6060.

Mark Strohauer

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are some general photographs of the GTV which is located in Stone Mountain Georgia.

Asking price is $60,000 or best offer.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most of the interior in this car, including the black head liner (with a quarter sized tear), is believed to be original. The car starts and drives very well. The passenger door could be adjusted better as it has to be slammed shut.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is a very small amount of oxidation around the transmission tunnel and hydraulic cylinder. The transmission is a little oily. The engine sump appears to be surprisingly dry and fairly clean. All the tires, wheels and caps look the same to me so I don't see any reason to post them all.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The dash has evidence of an imperfect repair on the side of the instrument binnacle.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The transmission shifts smoothly through all gears without any improper noises or grinding sounds. The turn signal and indicator lights do not fit tight to the dash and are a bit like 'googly eyes'. The passenger headrest on Euro cars can be adjusted, not the drivers headrest.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The passenger side looks about the same as the drivers side but the picture was taken from a bad angle so it is in the shade, sorry. The trunk mat has some oil transfer from the spare tire. The inside of the air filter housing has been modified so as to be less restrictive.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here are a few more...the European license plate holder is still intact on the car. This makes it necessary to drill two holes in US plates to mount them. The windows have been tinted with plastic film.

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
What a great 1750. I owned a 1971. Now have a 1974. It looks like it just needs a new dash. They are no available. What is the price?

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, I agree it is a lovely car and wish that it could be mine. I am attached to the cars that I have. They are sort of like my 'mechanical children'. Most Alfas I've had for decades. It would be very hard for me to trade one for another.

His GTV is my favorite of all his cars. W.L. told his wife that he would scale back his Alfa collection. He has many aches and pains in his mid to late 70's and finds it easier to get in and out of his Giulia Super.

Mark

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Dr.G, yes 'Just dashes' does a very nice job restoring dashboards. There is also a company in Washington state that does the same kind of work. This car is 50 years old but looks and drives like it is much younger.

If you are interested in this car and would like to check it out; please call W.L. between 10:00 am and 8:00 pm Eastern Time. His phone number in Stone Mountain, Georgia is 770-491-6060.

Mark

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
There was a fellow in WA but when I tried a couple yrs ago was out of business. Back in business now? Contact #?. TY

·
Premium Member
4,011 Posts
The repro dashes are just hard plastic with a strange texture to them. Great for driver cars. But this car deserves having Just Dashes restore one.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Just Dashes does nice work, but the prices are absurd. 3 or 4x that of a new repro dash from the usual vendors.
I paid $2200 for my 69 Alfa pictured to the left. Absurdity is moderated by inflation, scarcity, and results. There is quite a bit that is absurdly pricey, until we need it done properly and looking good. Darron at Vintage complained more than once about the quality of a certain UK parts supplier. The last time it was how the parts did not fit (a dashboard).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts