Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, first time member and first time alfa owner. First thanks to all the members for all the great discussions, what a learning experience in just a few short weeks. Just purchased a 1969 1750 gtv from BAT and intend to bring it back it’s original color and condition,

I live in the San Francisco bay area and looking for a body shop where i can get some quality work and at the same time
not leave my entire budget…. I know, not easy to find but hoping someone might have some past experience and help guide me in some direction. I also plan to bring the car back to its original color Gialo Ochre, how does one go about finding that color? Do most paint suppliers have this color available??? How do i know that it’s actually the correct color and not just there own color blend. Will different manufacturers have different shades?
I also have a parts list a mile long, if your ordering from one of the overseas suppliers and they have the items in stock how long does it take for your items to arrive once you place your order??? 1 week 1 month????
Sorry for rambling on but i’m pretty excited, i’ve been waiting to buy one of these cars since i first visited my Grandparents in Italy in the early 70’s.
Thanks for all your help. Gracie a tutti. Mikef

·
Premium Member
5,903 Posts
Welcome Mike and congratulations on the best of breed!

You will shortly be chastised repeatedly for not including pictures :)

I think you'll be safe with the mainstream paint suppliers. PPG, Glasurit, etc. You might get lucky and find an unfaded section of paint behind the rear seats - have your body guy spray out samples until you're satisfied.

I generally use and am happy with the price, delivery and service from Classic Alfa in the UK. For performance parts you can't go wrong with Alfaholics.

It usually takes about a week in transit. Shipping costs have jumped dramatically as well as duty though so be aware...

Pictures!

·
Super Moderator
12,200 Posts
if your ordering from one of the overseas suppliers and they have the items in stock how long does it take for your items to arrive once you place your order??? 1 week 1 month????
Generally the European suppliers can get parts to the US pretty quickly - they have parts in stock and if the items in your order are small enough to go by air, they'll arrive within a week. But there are exceptions: Sometimes US Customs decides to sit on things. If your parts need to travel surface, the current backlog at the US ports could delay things.

By all means, keep those blue plates on the car. If you want to back it back to its original glory, don't ruin it with some silly vanity plate.

Reactions: gprocket

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Ditto @Alfajay and @gprocket regarding parts. The UK suppliers have been shipping via DHL and typical delivery time is within a week. Their prices and service are competitive as well. If you need something in a pinch, there’s always Alfa Parts in Berkeley. Their prices tend to be a premium these days, but they’re local. Of course there‘s APE in Lodi for used parts. There is a swap meet at APE on October 9th organized by @Andrew.

Regarding paint, There is a guy in Richmond that has painted many euro classic cars out of his home shop. Most anyone in the ARA (local Alfa club) can provide you with a referral.

Speaking of ARA, the next North Bay meeting is on Tuesday in Novato, so that would be a good way to meet new friends, see a few cars, and get some more leads on restoration. Also, the All Italian Car Show is on October 3 in Alameda... typically over a 100 cars.

Welcome to the community amd look forward to seeing you out there on the back roads.

·
Premium Member
23,728 Posts
Jon Norman's Alfa Parts is in Berkeley, he's been at this for 50 years, knows his stuff. Classic Alfa in UK is very good too, their prices and shipping cost can still be lower than any US seller.

Lots of Alfa resources in the Bay Area, for sure. APE in Tracy is a great resource.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Regarding your paint color, the code is AR-109 for Giallo Ochra. If you live near Concord or Vallejo, you can visit Ned’s Auto Paint and talk with them about how they can match your color, or wait until your painter is on board and let them handle procuring the paint and matching the color. Either way, they will be custom blending the paint color.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ditto @Alfajay and @gprocket regarding parts. The UK suppliers have been shipping via DHL and typical delivery time is within a week. Their prices and service are competitive as well. If you need something in a pinch, there’s always Alfa Parts in Berkeley. Their prices tend to be a premium these days, but they’re local. Of course there‘s APE in Lodi for used parts. There is a swap meet at APE on October 9th organized by @Andrew.

Regarding paint, There is a guy in Richmond that has painted many euro classic cars out of his home shop. Most anyone in the ARA (local Alfa club) can provide you with a referral.

Speaking of ARA, the next North Bay meeting is on Tuesday in Novato, so that would be a good way to meet new friends, see a few cars, and get some more leads on restoration. Also, the All Italian Car Show is on October 3 in Alameda... typically over a 100 cars.

Welcome to the community amd look forward to seeing you out there on the back roads.
Thanks bellagt for the information. where can i find out more information about the all Italian car show, sounds like a fun day. Thanks again

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jon Norman's Alfa Parts is in Berkeley, he's been at this for 50 years, knows his stuff. Classic Alfa in UK is very good too, their prices and shipping cost can still be lower than any US seller.

Lots of Alfa resources in the Bay Area, for sure. APE in Tracy is a great resource.

Andrew
Andrew, thanks for the info i’m really anxious to get started.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Generally the European suppliers can get parts to the US pretty quickly - they have parts in stock and if the items in your order are small enough to go by air, they'll arrive within a week. But there are exceptions: Sometimes US Customs decides to sit on things. If your parts need to travel surface, the current backlog at the US ports could delay things.

By all means, keep those blue plates on the car. If you want to back it back to its original glory, don't ruin it with some silly vanity plate.
Thanks for the advise alfajay

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
I have purchased more parts than I care to Tally from classic Alfa and I am extremely satisfied with them. I am a price shopper and I am nearly positive there is not one single part a domestic supplier has ever been competitive on. IAP maybe was but they mostly sold garbage I universally regret purchasing when I didn’t know better. Things reach me on the East Coast in three business days.

Regarding paint my advice would be to go to a BASF dealer for a Glassurit sample. Formulas can be found below. This is how I got my car to Bluette I am comfortable with being original.

Btw this is all gonna cost a metric boatload of cash. Enjoy. Great cars when they’re done. Ask me how I know ten years after I started haha.

Wheel Car Tire Cloud Vehicle

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Hi all, first time member and first time alfa owner. First thanks to all the members for all the great discussions, what a learning experience in just a few short weeks. Just purchased a 1969 1750 gtv from BAT and intend to bring it back it’s original color and condition,

I live in the San Francisco bay area and looking for a body shop where i can get some quality work and at the same time
not leave my entire budget…. I know, not easy to find but hoping someone might have some past experience and help guide me in some direction. I also plan to bring the car back to its original color Gialo Ochre, how does one go about finding that color? Do most paint suppliers have this color available??? How do i know that it’s actually the correct color and not just there own color blend. Will different manufacturers have different shades?
I also have a parts list a mile long, if your ordering from one of the overseas suppliers and they have the items in stock how long does it take for your items to arrive once you place your order??? 1 week 1 month????
Sorry for rambling on but i’m pretty excited, i’ve been waiting to buy one of these cars since i first visited my Grandparents in Italy in the early 70’s.
Thanks for all your help. Gracie a tutti. Mikef

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Hi Mike and welcome to the BB.
I too am a 1969 GTV owner in the SF bay Area and I went on a long and protracted search for a local body shop to handle some sheet metal panel replacements.
I received many recommendations for local shops but frankly when i visited these shops I was consistently met with people who were not familiar with vintage Italian cars or the one worker that had done the previous jobs had just retired.
My search boiled down to two shops that had European vintage cars on site and in process that I could examine.

1. Perfect Reflections in Hayward Ca. They are a well known restorer of high dollar Ferraris and other vintage exotics. (Friend just had his Maserati done there. He's happy with the results). Their sheet metal guy was willing to take on my humble GTV as there was a space open in the shop cue.

2. Altissimo Restoration in American Canyon (north of Vallejo). The shop I chose.
Brandon the owner got his start with air cooled VW's and Porsches. He then moved into full custom American lead sled types. His clientele has since begun to become more vintage European again. He has done many Alfas including Sprint Speciales and well Guilia TZ. When I was at the shop were some bodies in process for some Bay Area restoration shops. His shop punched out my work in a week and to a good standard. I will go back when its time for the final and body work paint.

I am sure there are many other good quality shops in the Bay Area. This was just my experience.

Good luck. The body shop world is full of some characters and its tough to decide who to turn your hard earned cash and your precious car over to. I know I took a year to find a shop i trusted!

jeff

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have purchased more parts than I care to Tally from classic Alfa and I am extremely satisfied with them. I am a price shopper and I am nearly positive there is not one single part a domestic supplier has ever been competitive on. IAP maybe was but they mostly sold garbage I universally regret purchasing when I didn’t know better. Things reach me on the East Coast in three business days.

Regarding paint my advice would be to go to a BASF dealer for a Glassurit sample. Formulas can be found below. This is how I got my car to Bluette I am comfortable with being original.

Btw this is all gonna cost a metric boatload of cash. Enjoy. Great cars when they’re done. Ask me how I know ten years after I started haha.

View attachment 1702232
r-mm Thanks for the information…Your car looks great in Bluette my dad once had a 2600
in a very similar color…. it’s a really great color.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
You are welcome. It really is a great color. Men women and children stop and notice it. Not to say "wow I love it" but to note on how it makes you stop and think... about what makes it unusual. Which is why I like it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Mike and welcome to the BB.
I too am a 1969 GTV owner in the SF bay Area and I went on a long and protracted search for a local body shop to handle some sheet metal panel replacements.
I received many recommendations for local shops but frankly when i visited these shops I was consistently met with people who were not familiar with vintage Italian cars or the one worker that had done the previous jobs had just retired.
My search boiled down to two shops that had European vintage cars on site and in process that I could examine.

1. Perfect Reflections in Hayward Ca. They are a well known restorer of high dollar Ferraris and other vintage exotics. (Friend just had his Maserati done there. He's happy with the results). Their sheet metal guy was willing to take on my humble GTV as there was a space open in the shop cue.

2. Altissimo Restoration in American Canyon (north of Vallejo). The shop I chose.
Brandon the owner got his start with air cooled VW's and Porsches. He then moved into full custom American lead sled types. His clientele has since begun to become more vintage European again. He has done many Alfas including Sprint Speciales and well Guilia TZ. When I was at the shop were some bodies in process for some Bay Area restoration shops. His shop punched out my work in a week and to a good standard. I will go back when its time for the final and body work paint.

I am sure there are many other good quality shops in the Bay Area. This was just my experience.

Good luck. The body shop world is full of some characters and its tough to decide who to turn your hard earned cash and your precious car over to. I know I took a year to find a shop i trusted!

jeff
Thanks Jeff for the body shop recommendations. You are so right its quite a cast of character's out in the body shop world, its been a learning experience. I plan to deliver the car to the shop of choice
with the suspension intact and steering column in place and have it stripped down to bare metal, have the necessary repairs and then have it repainted in its original Gialo Ochre color. one shop in the north bay gave me a quote of $25.000.00 to strip it down and repaint, that included no repairs of any kind just strip and paint. Any idea if that sounds about right?
Thanks again for the help. Mike

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
One thing I've learned to differentiate between is metal work and body work. The former being welding, repair of panels, patching and so forth. The later being stripping and reasssembling a vehicle as well as adjusting of gaps, select application of filler, straightening of lines, priming, block sanding, painting and reassembly. I've found that paint removal, ie a "bare metal" paint job is often contracted out separately, by a blasting shop. Which of the above does $25k correspond to? It's not totally off the mark is my feeling but its hard to say as all my experience here is with bare naked shells not driving/rolling cars.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts