Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This build has been on the go for about a year and a half, while the plan has stayed the same, the route has changed somewhat.

The story starts 18 months ago - a friend on assignment in Moscow asked me to look at a 1750 GTV in Johannesburg my home at the time. It appeared to be a fair car (MK 1 1750's are becoming rare in South Africa).

The car was purchased and shipped to East London (South Africa). The car was stripped by its owner, sent for sandblasting (first mistake) and then delivered to my father’s house for painting.

The shell was fair - minor rust on door leading edges, rocker ends and floor boards.

Below is a picture of the car after blasting and etch primer.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Unfortunately the sand blasting caused many problems the biggest being distortion of big flat panels.

The next two pictures are of the car during priming and filling (unfortunately no pictures of the rust repairs - only a few small repair sections were butt welded in)

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
During this part of the build I was still resident in Johannesburg, but at about the time the guide coats started being laid down I moved back home - to East London and became involved in the project.

The next picture shows the car in guide coats.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
While the guide coats were settling the engine compartment was neatened up. The car had a failed head gasket when purchased, so that was replaced after valves were reseated, head skimmed and everything cleaned.

At the same time smaller items were re plated, booster rebuilt and full brake system unseized and rebuilt.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A new fan and shroud still needs to be fitted when they arrive by post from the UK.

On finishing the under bonnet work, the bodywork was finalized (although assembly incidents are expected and will be rectified last)

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Over Christmas 2010 the 1750's owner was home for his annual vacation and started some assembly. He quickly realized how suborn a 40 year old Alfa can be. Fuel leaks, sticky cables and poor electrics all got the better of him.

It was at this point that I became involved in a bigger capacity - agreeing to complete assembly and resolve faults (but still leave some outstanding matters for him).

My first project was to remove the dash for refurbishment.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Then I sent the car for the new seat covers to be fitted, roof lining and carpets (installation of the carpets to be finalized).

The work performed was of a good standard, but unfortunately ended up costing me more unexpected work (to be discussed in my next post)

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From this point on pictures should be of a better resolution.

While having bits of upholstery done the steering box became a casualty, as the next series of pictures will show.

I did not expect to have to repair a steering box, nor try to make a usable one from a spare that looked to have been used as a boat anchor.

First the broken steering box.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The replacement steering box before being stripped.

That is my dad in the picture - working in the workshop without him would not be the same, his assistance and friendship is much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This brings me to where I am now:

Sorting out the wiring mess - thank you "Papajam" for your colour wiring schematic

Assembling the beast and returning it home (where it shares space with a Duetto and Replica Cobra, both also having contributions by myself and dad - pictures will follow)

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am the owner of the 1969 1750 Mk1 (currently been worked on) and thought I would add some photo's which show the car as purchased in Johannesburg and taken to East London.

I stripped the car and labelled all the parts (most of which will be replaced with new parts upon reassembly). Being an upcountry car, the car had little rust and was very solid.

The Cromodora wheels have been refurbished, with new Alfa badges and new tyres and are will go back on the vehicle when complete.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
After stripping the car I sent it for sandblasting (as mentioned above) and it then went for re-painting in Alfa AR501.

I have bought the following new interior and exterior parts which will be fitted during reassembly from Classic Alfa in the UK:
All new badges
All new lights
New rubber boot mat
Boot crome trims
Door and boot rubbers
Full set of seat covers
Gear gaiter
Door pannels
New Veneer set
etc

I have not included a list of the machanical and brake parts used during the mechanical work performed - where the motor was removed and repaired (as above), brakes were repaired. The engine bay was resprayed while the motor was out everything cleaned up when it went back in again.

The below are pictures of the car when stripped (ready for blasting) which shows how little rust the car had, the only bits were on the bottom of the passenger door corner and on the bottom of the passenger windscreen.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,683 Posts
Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your resto - it never gets old seeing these transformed. You sure have a great platform to start with (notwithstanding the sandblasting issues).

Excuse my ignorance but what is the general climate around there? I would have naively thought hot and humid but with that little rust I suppose it must be a much drier than I presume.

Keep the pictures coming!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
At the coast hot and humid would be corrrect, but in the interior (where the car came from) hot and dry. Don't let the picures fool you the car did have rust, and lots of hidden nasties under years of paint work. Fortunately not to the extent that is experienced else where in the world.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Made good progress over the weekend, but no pictures. Sorting out the harness was a big hurdle, but hard to photograph. Happily the car has full functionality with the exception of a horn (need to run a new wire up the steering column), non functioning flasher relay and bright beams. I am confident that these items will be corrected in the next few evenings.

We also started on the dash repair - basically using resin to re-enforce the whole structure from behind. Next step is to correct the shape and then finish using truck bed liner (as illustrated elsewhere in the forum).

Below find a picture of HarveyDuetto full collection (the 1750 before commencement of the clean up.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Repairing the dash board

The dash that came with the car had been recovered in vinyl at some point. Unfortunately the original covering and foam continued to deteriorate underneath. In an effort to see if the dash could be saved we stripped back the covering and reinforced the entire structure (front and back) with resin (and add matting in places). Then we reshaped the dash using filler.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dash repair continued

Once we were satisfied that the shape was correct (and all the chrome, wood and gauges would fit) we sprayed the dash with rubberizer (bed liner in other parts of the world). The end result is not perfect, but it is a lot better than it was and much better than most dashboards in South Africa (our hot sun does ruin dashboards).

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
When I purchased the vehicle it had a leather covering over the steering wheel.

sa1750gtv has removed it, so that the original wood could be revealed and informed me it had splintered quite badly and best I looked for another one.

I have purchased one in the UK (photo's attached) which the seller says is in very good condition.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts