Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
$20,000 OBO

Putting this here as Im looking to switch over to an Alfa, so a trade will be considered.

Basic:
1968 Datsun Roadster 2000
  • Numbers Matching U20 Motor & 5-speed.
  • 28,xxx miles shown, true miles unknown. I purchased it with under 26k showing
  • Clean CA Title in my name
Fun Stuff:
  • Full Nissan Competition Package including Dual Side Draft Mikuni Carb, Larger front anti-sway bar, Large capacity Oil pan, B-Cam)
  • Custom valved Bilsteins with 'Mike Young' Comp Springs
  • TEM Machine in Napa, CA flowed and custom ported the head
  • Schneider Cams in San Diego, CA cut a custom camshaft thats similar to the B-Cam, but with more exhaust duration
  • House Kyusha Taka in Rancho Cucamonga, CA just rebuilt Mikuni Carbs and tuned them
  • A whole host of new gaskets were installed during this last year while the head was getting worked over
  • Brand New Timing Chains and Timing Gears were installed during the headwork
  • Engine was rebuilt sometime in the 70s/80s and currently shows ~140-150psi across the board
  • 4.38 with rare LSD, just built
  • Minilite Wheels with 205/55/14 Toyo R888 tires
  • Black Powdercoated Roll Bar
  • Corbeau Classic Bucket Seats
  • Center Console, arm rest, etc available, if required
  • Spares include axles, water pump, B-cam & rockers, spark plug wires, heater box and more
Car was destined to be my vintage racer, but I dont think I will have the time to dedicate this car to be a 100% Racecar and have looked at a Lotus as a possible dual purpose canyon / quarterly track car. Its mechanically SOLID, but cosmetically a 7 because it sat in a barn for 30 years from '87 until 2017 when I brought it back to life. It has some bumps and dings, but the car polishes up wonderfully. At the crossroads to reinstall the interior and make it a clean Roadster, or add the rest of the safety equipment and make it a D-Production Vintage Racer.

(these pics dont show the Corbeaus installed, just my one oldschool Beard Racing Bucket... on Stunt Road )

These arent the best pics but will give you an idea of the heart and the interior. Theres still old undercoating up by the firewall that I havent been able to get off as well as the center tunnel.

and a closeup of the rust, penny for comparison

I will try to get better pics this weekend when I take it out for a drive

·
Premium Member
2,606 Posts
Great cars!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. Im seriously having a tough time actually going through with a sale, especially after all the hard work but I have a chance to buy a car that Ive wanted for a LONG time and this car is running perfect right now, having just spent thousands on the motor so its the best time to sell ...

I'll get some more pics of the interior and motor. I was asked about undercarriage pics on another forum and I wont really be able to do that, but I can tell you theres no major rust underneath. Just one spot in the pass footwell which I will take a pic of. When I first got the car it had this horrible carpetting from the 70s that was faded and gross. After tearing it all out, I used POR15 on the floors, then painted over it with a flat khaki-colored paint that sort of matches the tan door panels.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Back in the mid 80s I had a ‘68 Datsun 1600 Roadster. Was great fun. Attracted a fair amount of attention. One time while visiting my local dealer a guy in a new Z car pulled next to me. His attractive girlfriend hopped out and went nuts over my “cute little sports car.” Was chatting with me about it incessantly while he stood back looking irritated, arms folded. Reflecting on it still makes me smile.

·
Push hard and live
9,195 Posts
Slightly related...

In about ‘75 or ‘76 i was running a BAP/Geon store in Pasadena,TX. A fellow comes in from a local machine shop looking for all the parts to rebuild the engine in a Nissan forklift. I told him that, being a CAR parts store, we had no catalogs or parts. He piled the dead parts on my counter, said “see what you can do!”, and left.

After a fair amount of time with some calipers, I decided it was about the same as the 1600 in the Datsun sports car, except for the forklift using very low compression pistons, and a low RPM torquey camshaft. After getting his approval, I supplied the cam and pistons from the Sports car.

Always disappointed I didn’t get to see the teenager’s face that probably operated that hot rod fork.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
that's funny!!

I was a Parts Manager at Palo Alto Datsun and a guy from a local warehouse came in asking about Nissan forklift parts as the ones from the forklift division were very expensive.
we supplied all bearings, pistons, cam etc. He was very happy.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BUMP, added some pics to the original post.

This car always gets TONS of attention, she polishes up really nice and many people just love the way she looks. I have an Ansa Muffler from a Z that will get installed soon too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I remember reading in those pre-Internet days that my 1600’s engine was derived from a fork lift. Was deemed less expensive to use an existing engine than design a whole new one for a car that may or may not sell in high numbers. Now I know it’s true!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, that’s the 1600 (R16) ... the U20 is a totally different design. It’s an overhead Cam VS pushrod and this head stock has over 200cfm on the intake side. It’s why the machine shop chose to leave it alone and only port the exhaust side

·
Push hard and live
9,195 Posts
Didn’t mean to impugn the 2.0. A very good engine/trans power unit. The 1600 was a nice engine in a nice car, but the 2.0 made it much more exciting.

In the early 70’s most sports cars were English. Everyone just sort of accepted that low power, squishy-jiggly handling, and awful reliability were part of the open-air “sporting” experience. Looking at the internals of our customers’ cars quickly revealed that a very different standard had arrived with the Japanese.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Didn’t mean to impugn the 2.0. A very good engine/trans power unit. The 1600 was a nice engine in a nice car, but the 2.0 made it much more exciting.
No worries, just didnt want others to think this was also a forklift motor! haha

Speaking of Historic racing, BRE actually started with a Roadster and was quite successful with it before moving to the Z and 510, which Im sure you guys are well aware of...

Bob Sharp Racing also had huge success with these on the East Coast as well.

This car isnt a racecar, yet and can easily be rerouted to be a great weekend car. Its at the crossroads now and with a little more money it can be completed to your hearts' desire.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I’m aware the 2000 is different and better. Wasn’t trying to imply it wasn’t. Just some Datsun Fairlady banter among enthusiasts. Cheers!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I’m aware the 2000 is different and better. Wasn’t trying to imply it wasn’t. Just some Datsun Fairlady banter among enthusiasts. Cheers!
The 2000 certainly is better! I wasnt offended, sorry if it sounded that way. Just want potential buyers to be clear they arent looking at buying a car with the forklift motor, they are buying one that there are claims that it uses a design from Prince Motors (makers of the original Skyline) or Mercedes, depending on who you ask and what they believe ...

Im just happy that the Alfa group is showing the car love!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Actually, The R motors were based on an English design after WW2 when the Japanese got all sorts of patent rights from the Brits. I believe it was Austin from England. SU carbs. Hitachi SUs. Way better than British stuff.
The first of those engines were 3 main bearing and later they were 5 main bearing.

The Roadster bodies were SAE fasteners except for starter, alternator, and distributor assemblies.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Another weekend, another canyon run! Got up early again, its **** cold driving with an open top but Im getting used to it, plus its not going to get much worse.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/live.staticflickr.com\/65535\/49370236637_4983910eab_b.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Anyways, this time I brought a few more friends. We actually were planning to go on the drive with the Lotus Club but after our sole Lotus owner got tired of talking about Lotus' we decided to ditch them and go on our own drive. The cool thing was that all 4 cars were small 4 cylinders. The NOT cool thing was that we got to Angeles Crest a little late (~10am) so the cyclists and tourists were already out and about ..

The cars:
-2005 Lotus Elise. Typical Lotus guy bolt-ons. Ohlins coilovers. Exhaust. Lighter wheels with sticky tires. Fastest car, yet he's the slowest in the group :lol:
-1977 Alfa Spider. Full resto. Has a hot 2liter in it with Webers and all the Alfaholics parts you can throw at it. He's owned a few Alfas prior that were featured on Petrolicious, but those werent his own builds. Those were sold and he kept the one he built. Quick driver and fast car for something that looks like a show car. :icon_cool:
-(not pictured) 2000-something Mini with the NA 1.6. 100% Stock. 150k miles. Fastest driver in the group. Same friend who owns the Mustang. Cant wait until the Mustang and his E30 are sold because hopefully he will get something old and cool. :icon_twisted:
-Last is me. Im quick in the group, not the fastest but I also dont go 100%, especially in the Roadster. Not yet. Gotta get more seat time. :cruisin:

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/live.staticflickr.com\/65535\/49370025381_8143901fc1_b.jpg"}[/IMG2]

I have some other fun stuff Im working on, hopefully I will have that update in the middle of the week or something...

Until next weekend!

·
Registered
231 Posts
I own 2 of these, along with 2 Lotus europas. and 4 alfas. You should post it on 311s.org, the Datsun roadster forum. Seems like a fair price, will probably move faster on that forum. Good luck with the sale!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I own 2 of these, along with 2 Lotus europas. and 4 alfas. You should post it on 311s.org, the Datsun roadster forum. Seems like a fair price, will probably move faster on that forum. Good luck with the sale!

Thanks, Im over on 311s.org and have a supppper long thread of the build. I havent posted it there yet, because Im more interested in possibly trading for something with a roof, but cash offers are always considered. Its quite a blast and Im enjoying my time with it because who knows when someone will be serious about buying it... for those who are still hanging around here are my zero budget youtube videos

First drive/ day back after a year or work

Maibu Canyon Run Part 1:

Part 2:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts