Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to Wikipedia, Bertone would not sell the Carabo. Can anyone confirm that, or know otherwise?

A local entity would like to film it should it actually dwell in private hands......

Thank you!

·
Registered
9,888 Posts
The car is in the recently re-opened Alfa museum (see here) and occasionally has been on display at car events (see here).

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
That car is on permanent show in the Alfa Romeo museum in Milano Italy, and I am quite sure its not for sale as it is one of those most significant cars there! However this car has been around and exhibited on special Alfa occasions around the world. Many years ago a friend photographed it on a show in the US.

https://www.classicdriver.com/en/article/cars/classic-concepts-1968-alfa-romeo-carabo

However as you can see Sam Foose made a replica of this car based on a Pantera. It looks just as impressive but lacks the green colour of the original. Maybe its easyer to see that car?

Sam Foose-built Alfa Romeo Carabo clone for sale | Autoweek

G.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
The entire Bertone Collection was sold in September?

I am not at all certain, but I presume that the Carabo was on long-term loan from Bertone to the Alfa Romeo Museum. The Bertone collection (79 cars) was sold as a block during an auction-style court-ordered sale held during September. The successful bidder was the A.S.I. (Automotoclub Storico Italiano) which had something of an advantage over any non-Italian hopeful purchaser in that the collection was apparently judged to have Italian cultural values that prevented its export. The sale also seemingly obliges the purchaser to keep the collection together. The price paid, including taxes and fees, was Euro 3,440,000. The actual bid figure was Euro 1,587,200, roughly 60% higher than the minimum amount that might have purchased the collection had there been no competition. All in all, the purchase price seems a very low figure ... except for the limitations on what may be done with the collection now that it is in new hands. It may be a good thing that those hands seem to be tied? Perhaps we all may be able to see the collection one day?

The Carabo was not mentioned as being a part of the sale, so it seems possible that the subject car was ceded previously to Alfa Romeo? I did some research last week at Alfa Romeo and will do some more in the coming weeks. I will try to remember to ask about this.

·
Registered
9,888 Posts
The Carabo was not mentioned as being a part of the sale, so it seems possible that the subject car was ceded previously to Alfa Romeo?
Ercole Spada once told me that prototypes usually were commissioned work on chassis that belonged to the factory. Maybe the Internet is wrong and the Carabo never belonged to Bertone? It would be great to learn more from the archive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts