Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my new 67 Duetto.

The turn signals worked just fine on my drive home. However when I took it out again the signals weren't working at all (no relay sounds, etc.). It appears my #3 fuse has blown. Now when I replace it it keeps blowing.

I've just got the car and need to get a state inspection ASAP so don't have time for a full day of understanding the electrical system.

So - couple of quick questions.

1. Where is the turn signal relay?
2. Does a failed relay cause fuse blowing (I always thought they failed open and you just didn't get flashing)
3. Any other tricks and tips?

Thanks,
Nikos

·
Registered
145 Posts
First look and see if the self canceling spring is broken, you can see it inbetween the steering wheel and where it meets the column. The spring can flop around in there and short to the switch contacts.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Nikos:
Is this the ebay duetto we were making fun of??

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alfajim,

Thanks - I'll take a look at the spring.

Paradiso,
No - different Duetto. That ebay one sounded fishy, and the guy never returned my emails about inspecting it. I got this one from a guy in Ohio (and not from ebay).

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update.

I feel very stupid. I took a quick study of the wiring diagrams posted in another thread. I noticed a 4-way switch was in-line with the turn signal flashers. I had wondered what the toggle switch under the heater controls was. Well I guess it's the one and the same 4-way switch.

Flipped it back in the other position and I've got turn signals again. I've still no idea why the #3 fuse kept blowing.

These colour wiring diagrams are great! Thanks to whoever created them.

N

·
Registered
699 Posts
Hi,
"Number 3 fuse blowing" is a very familiar phrase. The cigaret lighter on some Alfas can cause that problem. It takes out a bunch of other stuff and I remember first finding it because of no turn signals on my GTV. Sounds like this not your problem but just for reference;

The lighter that smokes the cigarette for you, has a fusable link under it that brings the power to it. When the link goes, it is a spring that straghtens out to open the circuit. It can ground on the transmission tunnel and take out fuse 3 the thing it is supposed to protect.
MrC

1 - 6 of 6 Posts