Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've had the great opportunity of becoming the second owner of a '67 GTV. I was helping the original owner get it back on the road and he recently decided he was too old to drive it anymore (85!). Until I came along the car had been sitting garaged up in South Bristol, Maine since 1990. About a year ago I found a mechanic up in Maine to help get the major problems taken care of, most notably the brakes and exhaust. So the car stops well and isn't a public nuisance, but it was running like a real slug. Fortunately I was able to meet up with AONE member Frank Maldari last fall and experienced first-hand what driving a properly tuned and running GTV is really like–night and day compared to my car!

Well, long story short, I discovered compression was extremely low in two of the cylinders. I waited and saved some cash and now the cylinders are being re-sleeved, new pistons installed, engine re-sealed and the head rebuilt. I'm hoping that is enough to get my old car in better shape than it was. I'll clean up the interior a bit, which has gotten terribly musty with old age, but with the larger goal of keeping the car as original as possible (which it is with the exception of one repaint in the early 1980s). There's some cancer lurking under the rockers and the floorboards are not in the best shape (New England winters are not kind to cars), but that's something I'll confront in a few years once all the mechanical bits are sorted.

I know it isn't a show car, but I've come to appreciate it showing its age and character. It think it is kind of cool the car hasn't been customized or modified for racing. Below are a few photos of the car as I found it after it was sitting for 20 years under a cover. I think all that white crud in the body gaps and rubber seals is buffing compound that never was removed...

I hope to meet some folks around New England at various outings once I get the car back on the road. I've got a lot to learn and, I hope, a good starting place. Special thanks to Frank for making the time to meet with me and check out my car last October!

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Wow, Congrats !! Nice car, it's great it is seeing the light of day again and will be driven. When you her on the road, drive by my shop, visit and show us this beauty !

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you by chance on the way up to Lincolnville from the south? I spend some time up in Islesboro when I can as well as South Bristol, but I'm mainly in the Boston area.

Wow, Congrats !! Nice car, it's great it is seeing the light of day again and will be driven. When you her on the road, drive by my shop, visit and show us this beauty !

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
I'm 45 minutes north of Kennebunk. Bit of a side trip but I think you would enjoy it. Great find on the car. I have dreams about finding stuff like that,,

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, will keep this thread updated. I think one look at the rust in the trunk will crush your dreams... I'll post better photos soon.

I'm 45 minutes north of Kennebunk. Bit of a side trip but I think you would enjoy it. Great find on the car. I have dreams about finding stuff like that,,

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Rust, crush my dreams?? Remember, my name is Heavy METAL Alfa !!!

I eat rust for lunch! There's nothing a grinder, welder and a few chunks of metal won't fix,,,

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The new valve cover gasket installed on my '67 GTV is leaking oil out the front edge. This gasket was included in a set from International, which seems to not be the best quality (also had trouble with the rear cover gasket). Anyone have a recommendation for another gasket source?

thank you,

Michael

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Do you have the two small bolts on the front edge of the valve cover installed? Sorry if it seems like a silly question, but it's not uncommon for people to forget to install them, or put the bolts in and forget to put the nuts on the bottom side.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts