Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2nd Lola race car taking up all my time and Money.....So,,,I will be taking the Alfa race car to THE MITTY at Road Atlanta April 29 to May 1 for a couple of buyers to see it run - small bore and SCCA 2.5 races added as features this year.

Car is currently on the cover of Victory Lane and also the poster for the Grass Roots Motorsport "Small Bore Enduro" Series.

Great car, race ready - truly. Alreay packed in the trailer this weekend.

best to contact me directly at "[email protected]" or 404 213 1999.

Ward Witkowski
Marietta (Atlanta) Georgia.

1967 Alfa Romeo GTV Recent Ground Up Rebuild Spec Sheet

Attachments

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Ward, best of luck with the sale. I look forward to racing with you at the Mitty!

·
Registered
651 Posts
Hallo,
a car in this condition ,absolut non-original! , can race in historic events in the states???
Its fantasy class? shell modifyd after the opinion of the owner? Stage 3 is the conversion to jet engine. This car has nothing to do with vintage racing.

MFG Uli

·
Push hard and live
10,864 Posts
Uhlrich,

It is a "vintage car". It is a race car. We have many classes where it would be welcome to race. There are many ways to consider this subject, and it seems unnecessary to force a narrow teutonic view upon it.

Now, "real" vintage racing would be a contest between perfectly restored Spitfires and Messerschmits over southern England. Oh that's right. Already done.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Hallo,
a car in this condition ,absolut non-original! , can race in historic events in the states???
Its fantasy class? shell modifyd after the opinion of the owner? Stage 3 is the conversion to jet engine. This car has nothing to do with vintage racing.

MFG Uli
It would have problems finding a place to race in Canada too. It isn't vintage legal (unless it raced like that before 1972).

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ulrich,

Fortunately in the US of freekin A we have freedoms not allowed (OR YET ADOPTED......BUT WATCH YOUR BACK) elsewhere so we are able to actually enjoy our race cars (even Alfas) without having to bend over and Strap oursleves to antiquated rulebooks that pinpoint a specific part, color code, anodized bolt, or even glass if we don't HAVE TO......

So, for those of us who CAN, and DO keep these cars ALIVE.....in any racing state....we do. Thank God and folks like me that DO!!!

And, we love to race ALFAs, nutty as that might sound to a "purist" f.k.a. effete snob, so we DO. If we were FORCED to race "exactly as raced in 1972" we would see fields of 3 or 4 cars instead of the 57 Cars in group 2 at THE MITTY this year and 67 cars in Group 3 where Alfas don't just "run" they COMPETE and WIN.

So, TOO BAD you HAVE to build cars to "exact specifications of blah blah blah"....enjoy your "more invested than ever worth" car all by yourself on your private driveway, not the track 12 times a year like we do.....oh....not enough cars or decent wether to run? Gee...sorry bout that.....NOT. Put it in a museum I bet, or bugger off, either way I dont care.

P.S. car sold in 2 days after posting here on BB. Going to the West to race and give someone else a great ride!!! And GT4EVER, guess you're wrong too since I sold two GTVs on separate occassions in the past 8 years to racers in Montreal and Toronto - only difference is the fiberglass doors on this new one......and both are stil running, and winning there...hmmmmmm, makes you wonder.

P.P.S. No hard feelings guys....really...but your narrow attitude is why VINTAGE racing is dying everywhere you live. Just to make you feel better (probably won't...but as already said I DONT CARE what you think......I will keep racing and winning in my "real down to the nut" Lola T-88/90 and also my new-to-me Lola T70 (replica - yes - replica what a joy, 550 hp and 2000 pound [email protected]!!!!) Too bad ya yahoo since BFs like you inherit the real ones and dont' let them see the light of day any more......hmmmmm, again)

Just to give you an olive branch....I'd put my "absolut non-original" car up against your POS "original" any day....won't need to even get near enough to reach out and slap your silly little face with a white glove, but you would lose badly my dear little piglet, badly.

Honor of the Last Open Road, you are not.

Long live the 'absolut non-original' Alfas, they will be the ONLY Alfas left for anyone to enjoy 10 years from now.

And Ulrich, my dear closet minded boy, pray you never meet me on a track, or in a pub! 'Cause I'll kick your *** either way.

AlfaWard.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD......did I mention SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD!!!!

And sad to say, after 25 years, 6 Alfa Race Cars and about a dozen Street Alfas, I'm letting go of my deep seeded passion for Alfas. Keeping a couple of Montreals, but moving on to faster, bigger cars, but I know for a fact those cars don't get the looks and love the Alfas do...... So for everyone (even Ulrich) try to keep the Alfa racing flame alive.....gets harder every day, I know.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Vintage racing

Hallo Ward,

thanks for your promise to hit my back, i hope , this is not your normal level of communication . I dont wanted to touch your privat opinion about vintage racing.Either you win or loose, if there are no rules for allowed modifications , nobody can compare the real quality of preparation of the car.The italians called such cars " prototipos " , But you cannot compare them with cars after original homologation for touring cars events. Congratulation on your experiance with historic aeroplanes, a friend of mine has a Fokker 3D from 1.war , also very nice.
A good prepared Alfa will always hit the cortinas , mustangs and BMWs in historic races.
Last weekend in Hockenheim, i saw 2 Lolas, one with a Ford BDG engine ( T210?) and one with chevrolet V8 , was impressed over the sound!!!

regards
Uli

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Alfaward,
All I stated was the car as shown (front spoiler) could not be raced here. Fortunately, VARAC has recently changed the rules to allow cars that meet SVRA rules are eligible, so if SVRA would allow the car, so would they. I know of several cases in the past where people bought cars in the US and had to spend thousands to change the body work and/or drive train to make their cars VARAC legal.
I don't think it has anything to do with snobbery, rather a different view of what is vintage racing. With 10 times the population, you can support clubs with different views. There are clubs much more strict in the US than we are, and clubs more lenient. We struggle somewhere in the middle

·
Registered
713 Posts
I agree rules are needed to have anything like real competition.

However, I always have to laugh when these discussions of what is and is not vintage come up, because nothing really is. If you don't have a homologated gearset, a steel flywheel, point type ignition, crappy old non-gas steel shocks, a cotton drivers suit to go with you open face helment, and lightened stock rods serving as a mechanical rev limiter, your not really "vintage" racing, are you? :)

Congrats on the quick sale Ward. Very nice car so not surprising.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
As I see it, the issue isn't the differing opinions about what constitutes "vintage" racing. The issue is where it is appropriate to express your opinions. I would argue it is not in response to a "for sale" posting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts