Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,

It’s been a while that I’ve been browsing the forum to admire the different GT’s on here. I don’t remember if I ever introduced myself, so a short (re)introduction is in order. The name is Fabio, 34 and currently residing in France, near Nantes.

It has also been a while since I took apart my own GT to start its restoration, back in 2013. I was in between jobs and thought I would have a lot of time to make a good start. I bought the car, a ’73 GT 1300 Junior, back in march 2009. I drove it all over the place. To school, to work, on holidays, everywhere! I loved it. It never let me down, or at least, nothing that couldn’t be fixed on the side of the road. But I found a new job a lot quicker than I thought, so the GT was placed in a corner of the garage. It has been standing there ever since….

I missed driving it so much, that I wanted to buy another GT. The prices were going up fast and I lost hope to find a good one for ok money. After months of searching I gave up. Until, only a few days later, I came across a 1967 Sprint Veloce. Way more money than I wanted to spend but, well, it's a Sprint Veloce!!! The ad was online for two days but luckily for me, the owner put it online and left for the weekend. I was the first to talk to him on the phone. He would hold the car for me if I could come and take a look the day after. I couldn’t get off from work so I had no choice but to send the misses to take a look. The seller seemed honest on the phone and the car didn’t look too bad on the pictures so I told her to buy it. This was back in 2015….

I picked up the car but saw directly that this was not going to be a quick refresh. Take a look at the pictures and judge for yourselves! I can also tell you that the sills are dead, outer, middle and inner. And that is not the only problem area. As always, time and funds are limited so the car stayed in the garage, parked next to my first GT. I’ve been tackling small jobs ever since. Technically the car is in ok shape. I replaced all the standard things, so brakes, tires, exhaust, fuel pump, filters, oils and tie rod ends. The engine is running ok but the car hasn’t been on the road since 2003. It could really use an Italian tune up. I’ll get to that later.

Now, May 2020, I decided to start with the sills. For that, the doors need to be good. And yes, they are in bad shape. They looked good but felt a little thick at the bottom and the door rubber was cut out at the bottom as well. And still, the doors hardly close. I removed the paint and filler to assess the damage. I’ll post the pictures in the next update.

The idea with this car is to not take the entire car apart and have two cars in bad shape. I want to try to repair the car and get it in driving condition by tackling one area at a time. I realize that this is not ideal. A complete restoration is planned in the future but for now, mentally, this is the way to go. And as always, the car will be completely stock, all original.

I’m looking forward to show you guys the progress of my project and will most likely ask for help and lots of moral support ;)

More will follow!

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just so you know, your radio block off plate is for the Montreal. It’s upside down too.
Thanks! It came with the car and was the first thing I removed. I have been collecting parts the past few years, including a refurbished radio.

Bienvenue Fabio!

Des photos de la Junior 1973?
Bonjour Yves,

Merci!
Oui bien sûr! Son état avant le démontage ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good luck, at least your car looks complete. Original seats, engine bay seems to have everything that should be there. Dash looks nice on the photos. Worth doing a proper restoration on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts