Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A matching numbers, colors example in very nice condition. Older repaint in original color red. Recent service work to include all suspension, corners rebuilt, brakes brand new, shocks new. Fuel tank removed and resealed. Engine serviced. $2,500 paint detail. Still with original interior. A wonderful example of a very rare step nose Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT Veloce. More Info: 1967 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT Veloce

Attachments

·
Registered
994 Posts
Excellent car.

Make: Alfa Romeo
Model: Giulia Sprint
Type: GT Veloce
Year: 1967
VIN: AR247703
Color: Red
Interior: Black Skai
The interior of your car's interior seats and door cards are not Black Skai.
This is a well known translation error for cars with Nero fumo seats which were incorrectly translated to black skai. This error was made years ago when the service was free.
You are best to refer to the Italian version of the factory Certificate of Origin which is the only certificate recognized by the factory, it costs about 70 Euros.
Your original interior is called Nero fumo which is dark grey.
Regards Steve

·
Premium Member
1,430 Posts
Wow! This is a beautiful automobile. The car and the year I dream of!

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
if the car is for sale I would like to know best trade price and details, underside photos etc do PM me thanks

·
Registered
994 Posts
Here is another GT Veloce 1600 from 1967 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - Grand Prix Classics - La Jolla, Calif.
Again
The interior of this car's interior seats and door cards are not Black Skai.
This is a well known translation error for cars with Nero fumo seats which were incorrectly translated to black skai. This error was made years ago when the service was free.
You are best to refer to the Italian version of the factory Certificate of Origin which is the only certificate recognized by the factory, it costs about 70 Euros.
The original interior is called Nero fumo which is a medium grey.
Regards Steve

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
wow...this Nerofumo / black thing is obviously so important... I agree that Nerofumo is dark grey, I am still convinced thou, having seen a number with my eyes in over 25 years, that the Giulia Sprint GT Veloce 105.36 came with BLACK ( NERO ) seats. Perhaps not the RHD version for the Australian market , but I have a number of pictures I took in the '90 clearly showing black seats. On the Sprint GT ( not Veloce ) even blue with grey cloth ( panno ) . Some pictures I have of a white GT Veloce with panno and texalfa, a car I bought in 1998 in conserved original condition ( to be restored ) show exactly that . Not a fancy re-styling made during a restoration but the car unrestored and candidly very original.

Attachments

·
Registered
994 Posts
We all like to think we have seen an unrestored interior of the 1966/67/68 GT Veloce 1600 cars, when the reality is these cars were used allot and we never really have seen one (prove what we saw) Australian's probably found the cloth seats did not suit the hot conditions and would become filthy and stained and detract from the resale value of the car, so private motor trimmers would replace the cloth with vinyl, so the seats are no longer factory original. Private motor trimmers did have access to plain vinyl so you will see some non original seats being offered for sale with no basket weave.
The 1750 GTV which was available from 1967 had black basket weave so private motor trimmers used this material as it was readily available to re-trim GT Veloce 1600 seats in black (basket weave in the centre pleats).

With all due respect to what you saw 25 years ago was a car ~28 years old car and what I'm saying by early 1970's these cars were trade in for a new cars and with the first owner/car yard/second owner had non original seats covers installed to either trade in or resell or just to use be it in Australia or Italy. Don't forget the private motor trimmers have access to dyes that can colour vinyl seats from any colour to black.

In Italy with fuel credits only available to cars under 1600cc the GT Veloce 1600 cars led a very hard life on the road and most were driven into the ground so not surprising to find Italian cars with non original interiors like black or with no basket weave.
It would not be surprising to get stories embellished of a one owner cars never restored to suck in (deceive) the potential buyer, i.e barn find car mate!

Sure cultural behavior of changing the car's seats to your tastes/needs is just that and that is part of the car's history. So sure you can re-trim your car exactly as you found it just like the private motor trimmer made it, there is nothing wrong with that if you don't mind that it's not factory original.

Forget about 'perhaps black was available in Australia', that is just incorrect or as we would say in Australia, a black interior(with basket weave) in a GT Veloce 1600 or all vinyl seats with no basket weave in a GT Veloce 1600 are 'furphys'.
A furphy is Australian slang for an erroneous or improbable story that is claimed to be factual (source Wiki)

Regards Steve

·
Registered
994 Posts
There is nothing polite about wasting 10,000 Euros installing and then having to remove a black interior in a GT Veloce 1600 because you wanted an original interior(where black seats, black carpet, black door cards and a black rear parcel shelf are not original for the GT Veloce 1600).
What I'm saying is the GT Veloce 1600 cars did not have a black interior and no Italian certificate of origin from the factory has surfaced showing they did. The Italian parts catalogue does not list the GT Veloce 1600 cars ever had black seats, black carpet, black door cards or black rear parcel shelf. It's not my view it's the factories view as per their records.
Regards Steve
p.s Nice car with tan original seats with basket weave.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if the car is for sale I would like to know best trade price and details, underside photos etc do PM me thanks
Hello Portello, I appreciate your inquiry and interest in the vehicle, however, the vehicle has already sold. All the best to you in your search!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts