Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Need some help with my ongoing restoration. I'm finally at the interior work with an end in sight :). I'm looking for a reference on what the correct color(s) is (are) for the original 1967 Duetto carpet over the transmission and drive shaft tunnel. The original paint is red but I don't have a good reference on the carpet color. Both red, gray and black are available at some of the suppliers. Can someone help with a reference if the cars with red paint only came with one color or was it an Alfa factor selection based on what was at hand. Any recommendations on suppliers are also appreciated.
Happy Roads, Al

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
My original 67 Duetto had a "black" carpet that was actually a salt-n-pepper dark gray, made of mohair. I found a good upholstery shop that did restoration work and they had the exact carpet. They even added the cross-stitched reinforcement of vinyl.

Robert

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Robert,
Was the original color of your car red? If so I'm going to put the gray in as I think it looks better than the red.
Regards, Al

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
My car was white, with black interior. The cars with red interiors only had the seats and door panels changed - the floor mats were the Alfa logo rubber mats in black, all the other floor coverings were rubber (or vinyl of rate rear drape); there were some plastic bits on the wheel wells and b-pilars etc, which were also only in black. Only the two pieces of the tunnel covering were carpet, which were the same almost-black mohair for either interior. There is only one part number for each of these two carpets in the Duetto 1600 manual (i.e. no red option).

I'm not even sure the 1600 HAD a red interior option! Only ones I recall are 1750's.

Robert

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Curious... the reference I have for Duetto 1600 parts show 3 colors (red, purple or dark grey).

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree on the purple........ I'll leave that color for someone else. A sales brochure I came across for the 1600 Duetto shows the red carpet with the red paint. I'm just not sure if this was the only color carpet installed by Alfa for the red painted cars. I'd prefer to have the gray carpet but would install the red if it's the only original correct color for the red painted cars.
Regards, Al

Attachments

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Just to clear things up for future readers ... the interior color in the parts manual, poorly translated, as purple is in fact Amaranto or amaranth ... and it is a most attractive interior when combined with Skipper Blue (323) paint. It can be seen in this thread.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I wondered that very thing - it's the dark burgundy interior. That's my car, but with the graphite grey exterior.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
GTD,

Thanks for clearing that up. Amaranto (burgandy) make more sense than purple. Do you by chance know if for a 1967 Duetto painted Rosso came with only the red carpet (with other interior black) or did it also come with the grey color?

Regards, Al

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I don't know - sorry. I was under the impression that a great number if not most Duettos came with the grey speckled tunnel. I need some myself eventually.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Amaranto = amaranth = Burgandy = wine colored = Maroon ... anything but purple.

Al
Yes, Red carpeting (rather limited in application) was available in a Duetto.
As with any of Alfa's production vehicles, speciale or custom touches could be added - for a price. However, the vehicles we in the USA saw arrive at dealers tended to be of a standard production spec. The dealers would request specific choices but they took whatever Arese delivered.
The largest number of USA market Duetto's were painted white, with black or red upholstery and dark carpeting. The primarily black color of the carpet was somewhat muted with flecks of gray fiber - the effect being comparable in color to cigarette ash. My favorite comparison of the fiber's nap is that it's similar to Tyrolean mouse fur.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts