Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1967 Alfa Romeo Duetto (VIN AR664374)
To be sold at Bonhams Quail Auction, August 14, 2020 during Petersen Car Week, Los Angeles
Winner, “Most Original Round Tail”, 2016 Concorso Italiano “Duetto 50th Anniversary”

• I have owned this Duetto for 30 years; it’s been a Southern California car its whole life
  • Driven weekly (weather permitting) -- a great driver and canyon-runner
  • Always garaged and covered under my ownership
  • Very original, as purchased; no “improvements”. Originality verified by Alfa Romeo Milano archivist; accepted by the Duetto Registry.
  • One repaint in original (factory verified) Pininfarina white)
  • All brightwork in excellent condition
  • Original interior (except for dash cap and shift boot) – red Skai vinyl upholstery, rubber mats in amazing condition
  • Original engine (1600 cc) completely rebuilt ~20,000 miles ago – by Rex Chalmers of Omega Motorsports -- it is strong, solid, “bullet-proof”
  • $7,500 of work in past five years to bring car to near-perfection (new top, rebuilt front brakes, drive shaft, motor mounts, transmission mount, seals, gaskets, valve cover gasket, new water pump, hoses, etc., new tires)
  • Great condition due to great care, including regular detailing -- panel fit is excellent
  • Everything works except the window-spritzers – instruments, switches, hardware, etc.
  • Featured Duetto and concours winner:
  • Trophy winner, “Most Original Round Tail”, 2016 Concorso Italiano Duetto 50th Anniversary celebration
  • Selected by Alfa Romeo USA for display at two events during 2016 Monterey car week:
  • At Alfa Romeo new cars introduction tent at Concorso Italiano, Monterey
  • At introduction of Alfa Romeo 4C Spider in Carmel
  • Featured Duetto on the 18th green at 2005 Concorso Italiano when Alfa Romeo was featured marque
  • Cover car on winter 2009 Hagerty’s Magazine
  • Frequently shown in AROSC concorso competitions, winning best of show or best open car awards
  • Has all original body & trim pieces, including often-missing or somewhat rare ones – lollypop rear reflectors, original Pininfarina radio cover plate, Alfa Romeo mirrors, correct air filter, black steering wheel, wheel covers, canvas tool kit, jack, chrome trim, stainless steel bumpers
  • Has all repair records since 1974
  • Has all original documents delivered with car, including window sticker, sale receipt, owner’s manual, disk brakes repair manual, worldwide repair locations, shipping checklist, etc. Plus certification document from Alfa Romeo Milano archivist.
FOR A TEST DRIVE in Los Angeles prior to the auction, please contact me at this ALFABB thread.
For Bonhams Quail auction information go to Bonhams Auctions, Motorcar division.
Also see video at ALFABB Alfa Romeo Video forum.

·
Registered
446 Posts
whats it look like?

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CORRECTION: My '67 Duetto won the trophy for "Most Original Duetto" at the 2016 Concorso Italiano, not for "Most Original Round Tail" as stated in my original post. There was a mix-up of trophies, which has just today been cleared up in a confirmation by Keith Martin of Sports Car Market, who presented the awards for this concorso celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Duetto. Sorry for the error.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This "magnificent, original" '67 Duetto is now listed, with many photos, on the Bonhams Quail auction web site. It will be sold on August 14, 2020. Any prospective new owner wishing a test drive along Mulholland Drive in Los Angeles prior to August 10 may contact me at (323) 497-4009.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, Richy. If you know anyone looking for a Duetto, pass it on! What are you driving?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am lol, but I’m saving for a house after losing mine (and my pants and underwear) to a divorce lol.

·
Premium Member
1,430 Posts
Al,
What a beautiful Duetto!
While I'm certain that it will be well out of my financial reach, I do have a couple of questions about the car.
1) The plenum top and cam cover look to be nicely polished; was this an OEM characteristic?
2) I noticed the seat belt buckles; are these OEM, as well?

Thanks, and GLWTS!

Ray

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Interesting and gorgeous car. I will be curious were it will end up as I see the estimate was set at $50k - $75k.

I do not see a "No Reserve' sign as I assumed that the big auction houses no longer accept reserves for cars below $200k. I also had a brief look into the fine print and was equally surprised that the buyers commission is still a hefty 12% on the first $250k of the hammer price. Given that RM, Gooding and Bonham's moved to an online format, and given that BaT does so much better for cars under $1M for sellers and buyers, I am surprised they have not adjusted the steep premiums compared to the 5% (or $5k max) of BaT.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts