Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen the white 67 Duetto currently F/S on Ebay? The ad photos as well as the complete description is from an old Chicago Car Club listing. I called the CCC and was advised they did give permission for this. However, when I asked the current owner for recent photos, he was uninterested in providing them to me. Additional information from the CCC suggested that the current owner had problems with the car and suggested also that the owner didn't realize what was involved in maintaining or operating a Duetto. The car is in Florida and I'd proceed with caution on this one. Had previously been listed on Ebay with a buy-it-now price of high $30K, which struck me as odd given the "stunning" and "original" description of the car.

·
Premium Member
1986 Alfa Romeo GTV6
280 Posts
if it's on ebay the "scammer" won't have a chance. it's one thing ebay is good on is protecting the buyer.
Anyway, your warning will save headaches for sure.

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
12,015 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have just bought a 2004 Porsche 996 Turbo from Ryan Friedman Motorsports, the dealer in Valley Stream. I can assure you he is a stand up guy and has the best selection of low mile rare and collectible cars.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Major flags if the seller won't provide current photos and the video he states as being available. A quick call to the dealer in NY will tell you if he has the car or not. I would ask the ebay seller for a copy of the title. CCC advertised the car was a three owner car when they had it, this seller states he is the third owner (should be the fourth owner?).

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if it's on ebay the "scammer" won't have a chance. it's one thing ebay is good on is protecting the buyer.
Anyway, your warning will save headaches for sure.
It isn't a "scam", its for sure a private seller who got the car from CCC, and was unaware of the problems these cars can have. But hijacking an old ad (even with the CCC permission) and refusing to provide current photos is not a good practice. Car has developed some issues since the sale by Chicago Car Club I'm sure.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Major flags if the seller won't provide current photos and the video he states as being available. A quick call to the dealer in NY will tell you if he has the car or not. I would ask the ebay seller for a copy of the title. CCC advertised the car was a three owner car when they had it, this seller states he is the third owner (should be the fourth owner?).
Different car

·
Registered
6 Posts
Has anyone seen the white 67 Duetto currently F/S on Ebay? The ad photos as well as the complete description is from an old Chicago Car Club listing. I called the CCC and was advised they did give permission for this. However, when I asked the current owner for recent photos, he was uninterested in providing them to me. Additional information from the CCC suggested that the current owner had problems with the car and suggested also that the owner didn't realize what was involved in maintaining or operating a Duetto. The car is in Florida and I'd proceed with caution on this one. Had previously been listed on Ebay with a buy-it-now price of high $30K, which struck me as odd given the "stunning" and "original" description of the car.
Hey guys I'm new here and was reading a lot of these posts since I am interested in this subject 67' Duetto . I inquired about it on ebay from the seller and did in fact receive pictures and even a nice video. Not sure about the facts and history you are representing but I do not get the same impression. The car is being stored in NJ. It is not in Florida as you stated. I think what caused your confusion is the listing shows a South Florida address but the car is up in NJ. I am going to inspect it this weekend.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
The car is being stored in NJ. It is not in Florida as you stated. I think what caused your confusion is the listing shows a South Florida address but the car is up in NJ. I am going to inspect it this weekend.
Good to hear the seller is responsive and will let you come and look at the vehicle. Seems odd that the auction shows the car in FL but it's actually in NJ. That could mess some buyers up. Check the mileage as it's listed at both 23458 and 23490. Find out how long the seller has had it. Has he really just driven it 32 miles during his ownership? Most of the ebay description has been taken directly from the CCC listing 1967 Alfa Romeo Duetto

·
Registered
6 Posts
One other clarification.
Good to hear the seller is responsive and will let you come and look at the vehicle. Seems odd that the auction shows the car in FL but it's actually in NJ. That could mess some buyers up. Check the mileage as it's listed at both 23458 and 23490. Find out how long the seller has had it. Has he really just driven it 32 miles during his ownership? Most of the ebay description has been taken directly from the CCC listing 1967 Alfa Romeo Duetto
View attachment 1629598
Will do. One other clarification; I did see the original listing and the buy it now was not $30k. It was $38,950

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Different car
This car is a private sale out of Southern Florida. Not sure how the N.Y. reference came in
Hey guys I'm new here and was reading a lot of these posts since I am interested in this subject 67' Duetto . I inquired about it on ebay from the seller and did in fact receive pictures and even a nice video. Not sure about the facts and history you are representing but I do not get the same impression. The car is being stored in NJ. It is not in Florida as you stated. I think what caused your confusion is the listing shows a South Florida address but the car is up in NJ. I am going to inspect it this weekend.
Good luck. Bring your compression gauge
One other clarification.

Will do. One other clarification; I did see the original listing and the buy it now was not $30k. It was $38,950
My post indicated “high” $30k (in the interest of brevity). My advice is to call the Chicago Car Club if you want to be thorough. Perhaps they’ll fill in some of the cars Post-sale history for you, as they did for me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This car is a private sale out of Southern Florida. Not sure how the N.Y. reference came in

Good luck. Bring your compression gauge

My post indicated “high” $30k (in the interest of brevity). My advice is to call the Chicago Car Club if you want to be thorough. Perhaps they’ll fill in some of the cars Post-sale history for you, as they did for me.
bucaptain, The alfa I am referring to is currently on ebay right now. Not the 2 or 3 white 67's Duetto's that Beverly Hills Car Company has been churning out on its conveyer belt of pig-in-a-poke cars (we all know about the vehicles originating out of that camp). I am actually going to bid on it in the next day or so as I am watching it carefully. The account or listing person resides in Florida for winter but has the car stored in Nj. It is the same car as noted by vin# and CCC. I am one step ahead as I found the 2nd owner (had a huge classic collection) and he gave me great information on it. It's got a great history and it's solid. If my inspection matches up in all aspects and compression is in strike range, I may have a winner! Stay tuned

·
Registered
6 Posts
bucaptain, The alfa I am referring to is currently on ebay right now. Not the 2 or 3 white 67's Duetto's that Beverly Hills Car Company has been churning out on its conveyer belt of pig-in-a-poke cars (we all know about the vehicles originating out of that camp). I am actually going to bid on it in the next day or so as I am watching it carefully. The account or listing person resides in Florida for winter but has the car stored in Nj. It is the same car as noted by vin# and CCC. I am one step ahead as I found the 2nd owner (had a huge classic collection) and he gave me great information on it. It's got a great history and it's solid. If my inspection matches up in all aspects and compression is in strike range, I may have a winner! Stay tuned
I should also disclose that I have already bid on the car but holding up on any further bids until the home stretch in the next few days or possibly the last hour or so, all depending of course on the results of my inspection. All other comments are welcome.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
JoeAlfa2, if your coming up to Jersey to look at that Duetto, come look at mine too, it’s in northern NJ. I haven’t really listed it yet but it’s for sale, it’s a 69 junior with a 1600 Veloce motor. Also white but with black interior. I’ll pm you my number if your interested in seeing it.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey All,
The car was very understated and a real good find! I bought it "sight on the spot" after inspection and compression test. Perfect driver and soon to be my next rotisserie restoration but honestly no rush at all in it's present condition. A pleasure to drive, not a rattle or shake.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts