Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We dynoed another race car at the shop today. It has a 2 liter race motor that we put together last week (11:1, 84mm, DCOE 45's, Megacycle cams, etc.). Power was a conservative 161 at the wheels, but the cool part is that it was making it from 7500-8100 rpm. Once it hit 8200 rpm it started to flatten out a little. In the end of the video you hear a misfire which was courtesy of the 8400 rpm rev limiter! Enjoy!

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/koA3if7iGgI"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/koA3if7iGgI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

If the embeded video doesn't work, here is the link:

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Holy crap. 8200 rpm, how long will that last? It sounds good, but if it were my engine I'd be worried about it coming apart. Thats almost 3k rpm higher than the stock engines redline. If nothing else, its impressive to see an engine with that long of a stroke turn that fast. I have always wondered why the Alfa engines have redlines that are so low. My guess was its due to the long stroke and wet sleeve cylinders possibly moving.

Nice work.

Will

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
I have always wondered why the Alfa engines have redlines that are so low. My guess was its due to the long stroke and wet sleeve cylinders possibly moving.
Nice work.
Will
Will,
the 5700 redline on '69 and later cars was a USA emissions related issue. Comparable Euro 1750s used 6200 for a redline. In my track car, with a stock 1750, I try not to rev above 7000, but I get to 7000 often with no issues. Sustained high rpm requires stronger rods.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Will,
the 5700 redline on '69 and later cars was a USA emissions related issue. Comparable Euro 1750s used 6200 for a redline. In my track car, with a stock 1750, I try not to rev above 7000, but I get to 7000 often with no issues. Sustained high rpm requires stronger rods.
My engine sounds like its ready to come apart at 5700. I know it was built right, but man it sounds like its completely wrung out and unhappy. It will spin that fast, it just doesn't sound good. Even 6200 seems low.

Thanks for the insight.

Will

·
Registered
825 Posts
wow just hearing that engine scream, what an adrenaline rush, when are the races?? we need to see this car on the track

1 - 7 of 7 Posts