1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's about 250KM from here but I'm going to try and get a look this week, if possible.

The poster is pretty straightforward about the condition and states that it is NOT concourse. Looking at the pix, the bumpers are askew, trim badge is missing, engine not detailed... he says the windshield is scratched, the paint is a mis-match and it doesn't run too well.

Body condition would tell the whole story. Bondo and patches would be unfortunate. Honest but rough would be great.

Still way out of my budget though.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Hate when people can't spell "Giulia".....ugh...in the ad..."GULIA"....ugh...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it sounds to good to be true, it is because it is too good to be true.

(url=http://www.ebay.com/itm/281409723242?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT]Alfa Romeo Other Gulia 1600 | eBay[/url]

Some one is not telling the true here. SCAM perhaps?
I'm scrolling this post too quickly. I just saw the Ebay ad from August 2014 and it sold for $85,100.00 but now it's back at $62.500 (probably Canadian). Kind of odd. The telephone number is an Ontario Canada area code.

Will try and call this evening.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Caveat Emptor II

I'm scrolling this post too quickly. I just saw the Ebay ad from August 2014 and it sold for $85,100.00 but now it's back at $62.500 (probably Canadian). Kind of odd. The telephone number is an Ontario Canada area code.

Will try and call this evening.
The earlier e-Bay ad had the seller in Utah. This time it is Ontario, Canada. The ad language is nearly identical in the two ads and the photos are the same.

Even in semi-rough condition, an SS should go for a lot. BTW I can't detect the scratches in the windshield in the photos provided.

A year or so ago on e-Bay there was another Giulia SS advertised out of Ohio, I think. Clearly a scam, that one. The scammer had somehow appropriated the e-Bay member's account. I alerted e-Bay and the bogus ad was pulled in about one hour.

I suppose we can expect this kind of thing given the prices Alfa's are going for these days and the casual dishonesty made possible by the Internet.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Internet has its good and bad sides. I'm still planning to contact the Ontario number this evening and see what's up.

I had a couple of other interesting incidents with ads I'd responded to this fall;

One fellow had a nice looking Volvo 780 Turbo for sale. A bit pricey but it looked top quality. I asked for more info and he sent some service details and the VIN to his car. Googled the VIN and found the car was for sale on a Volvo forum last summer for a couple thou less!?! When I asked him why it is now more money, considering it didn't sell last year he said he got a higher appraised value for the car and it is now reflected in the price. Nothanks.

The other ad was for a 1961 Porsche 356 Coupé. The car was advertised as a number matching car he's been driving daily for the summer, offered at $38,000. I e-mailed the guy for more information and the first thing in his reply was "first $30,00 takes it" - wow, came down $8000 without asking. I had his e-mail address and Googled that to find posts on a Porsche forum where he had asked lots of questions about brake issues, ignition and carb problems. I e-mailed him back looking for more details and got a very vague response about someone coming to look at the car. Two days later, his e-mails to me were deleted from MY e-mail account - fortunately I had copies of my replies (to his e-mails). That seemed like a good time to leave that one alone. The car was still for sale a few weeks later.

·
Registered
259 Posts
The Internet has its good and bad sides. I'm still planning to contact the Ontario number this evening and see what's up.

I had a couple of other interesting incidents with ads I'd responded to this fall;

One fellow had a nice looking Volvo 780 Turbo for sale. A bit pricey but it looked top quality. I asked for more info and he sent some service details and the VIN to his car. Googled the VIN and found the car was for sale on a Volvo forum last summer for a couple thou less!?! When I asked him why it is now more money, considering it didn't sell last year he said he got a higher appraised value for the car and it is now reflected in the price. Nothanks.

The other ad was for a 1961 Porsche 356 Coupé. The car was advertised as a number matching car he's been driving daily for the summer, offered at $38,000. I e-mailed the guy for more information and the first thing in his reply was "first $30,00 takes it" - wow, came down $8000 without asking. I had his e-mail address and Googled that to find posts on a Porsche forum where he had asked lots of questions about brake issues, ignition and carb problems. I e-mailed him back looking for more details and got a very vague response about someone coming to look at the car. Two days later, his e-mails to me were deleted from MY e-mail account - fortunately I had copies of my replies (to his e-mails). That seemed like a good time to leave that one alone. The car was still for sale a few weeks later.
Hope you are able to make contact on the SS. Very interested to hear about what you find out.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No word.... yet?

I sent an e-mail request for info through Kijiji site, a text message and then finally a telephone call. No reply from any source. The 'phone call went to a voicemail for an extremely long extension number - kinda strange.

I searched the number from the Kijiji ad (289-434-4164) and it resolved to an internet telephone provider a few hundred kilometers away from the location provided in the ad - not inconceivable.

I Google searched one of the pictures and came up with a couple more ads for the car, all posted on Aug 15, 2014 -

1966 Alfa Romeo Giulia 1600 (2014-08-15-14HE059)

Sprint Speciale for Sale | Veloce Register

1966 Alfa Romeo Other for sale in Midway Utah - United States

Car Pictures Blog: 1966 Alfa Romeo Giulia 1600 (2014-08-15 ... - CarPictures.com

including the same name as on Ebay - Robert Bernard. Where does this leave me? A bit confused an wary. Why was a car that sold for $85,100.00 in the USA now be for sale 5 weeks later in Canada for $62.500?

Had some similar issues 18 months ago searching a '30s car out of Oregon. Googling that sellers telephone number brought to light a whole lot of troubles for many folks and a lot of warnings to the rest of us.

IF I get any further news on this car, I'll share it here.

BTW, he's currently got another car for sale - Jaguar E Type Panther J 72 2 Door Convertible | eBay

·
Registered
259 Posts
Listed but Probably not Actually For Sale

No word.... yet?

I sent an e-mail request for info through Kijiji site, a text message and then finally a telephone call. No reply from any source. The 'phone call went to a voicemail for an extremely long extension number - kinda strange.

I searched the number from the Kijiji ad (289-434-4164) and it resolved to an internet telephone provider a few hundred kilometers away from the location provided in the ad - not inconceivable.

I Google searched one of the pictures and came up with a couple more ads for the car, all posted on Aug 15, 2014 -

1966 Alfa Romeo Giulia 1600 (2014-08-15-14HE059)

Sprint Speciale for Sale | Veloce Register

1966 Alfa Romeo Other for sale in Midway Utah - United States

Car Pictures Blog: 1966 Alfa Romeo Giulia 1600 (2014-08-15 ... - CarPictures.com

including the same name as on Ebay - Robert Bernard. Where does this leave me? A bit confused an wary. Why was a car that sold for $85,100.00 in the USA now be for sale 5 weeks later in Canada for $62.500?

Had some similar issues 18 months ago searching a '30s car out of Oregon. Googling that sellers telephone number brought to light a whole lot of troubles for many folks and a lot of warnings to the rest of us.

IF I get any further news on this car, I'll share it here.

BTW, he's currently got another car for sale - Jaguar E Type Panther J 72 2 Door Convertible | eBay
Your excellent follow-through suggests to this old man that whoever this person is has two cars listed but neither is actually for sale...

Great work. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
This SS was for sale by Robert Bernard a couple months ago on EBay. I still have the listing in my files. The car did come from Hawaii. Odd that the car is being resold in Canada. I wonder if the buyer fell out and the car is again for sale? I will contact the seller off of EBay and see if it is being scammed. The email has been sent and now I await the reply.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This SS was for sale by Robert Bernard a couple months ago on EBay. I still have the listing in my files. The car did come from Hawaii. Odd that the car is being resold in Canada. I wonder if the buyer fell out and the car is again for sale? I will contact the seller off of EBay and see if it is being scammed. The email has been sent and now I await the reply.
This is getting interesting. Hope to find out what is really happening.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Buyer beware!

These photos and ad were taken from my original E-Bay ad. This car was sold through E-Bay to a very reputable buyer in Oregon. The car was sold in the original listing, has been paid for, and delivered to the purchaser. The Canadian ad is probably not valid.
Do not send any money to this seller!
Sincerely,
Robert E. Barnard

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
Here is the reply from the previous seller of the SS: " Thanks for letting me know! The car has been sold, paid for, and delivered to a buyer in Portland, Oregon. So, yes this definitely sounds like a scam."

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got a text reply today.

'Seller' is in UK but will text me details on "how the transaction can be closed". I have asked for more details. :detective:

I'm also contacting my brother in law, who is the Law.

Unless this person is monitoring the Alfa BB, this may prove to be interesting.

·
Registered
7,685 Posts
Just curious, so what is the bottom line on the red car that was listed from Utah? Was that a real sale at something like $85000 or was that another scam?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here is the reply from the previous seller of the SS: " Thanks for letting me know! The car has been sold, paid for, and delivered to a buyer in Portland, Oregon. So, yes this definitely sounds like a scam."
That one was legit.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts