Alfa Romeo Forums banner

221 - 240 of 273 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
We also used velcro and snaps in some places - mostly around the tunnel/shifter and pedals rather than glue, so when it inevitably has to be removed for maintenance, there is no tufting. All this is hidden of course.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #222
We also used velcro and snaps in some places - mostly around the tunnel/shifter and pedals rather than glue, so when it inevitably has to be removed for maintenance, there is no tufting. All this is hidden of course...
I like the idea of the velcro and snaps. Our original set of carpets is still in surprisingly good condition, but will need new piping.

Still deciding about the underlay. It's highly unlikely that the car will be driven in the rain much and shouldn't get water inside with a wash, so we could even go with the original type material.

Would anyone perhaps care to comment on what would be the suggested minimal surface areas/floor panels to cover with sound deadening material?

Thanks

·
Registered
168 Posts
I like the idea of the velcro and snaps. Our original set of carpets is still in surprisingly good condition, but will need new piping.

Still deciding about the underlay. It's highly unlikely that the car will be driven in the rain much and shouldn't get water inside with a wash, so we could even go with the original type material.

Would anyone perhaps care to comment on what would be the suggested minimal surface areas/floor panels to cover with sound deadening material?

Thanks
True it may not get much rain, but when your heater core hoses go, it keeps out the antifreeze too...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hey Jannes,

Just read through your thread and I really have to say you have a stunning machine now and not much more to do by the looks of it.

Awesome bit of inspiration for my little project.

Thanks for documenting your build so well for the world to see and enjoy!!

Cheers,

Notch (aka: Paul)

·
Registered
606 Posts
James, I WISH, that my 66 gtv turns out as well !!!!!!!! Looks awesome...TONS of hard labour , much $$$$$$$$, some praying, and an insane amount of research. FAB alfa pics are excellent. I have taken some notes of interest . I have light weight sounddeadener mats that will be shaped to the interior . I cant remember the name , but it should work. Im going to re read the last few pages.
Yours will be in the TOP RUNG area , from what Ive seen on BAT etc. The hwys in SA will never be the same once your rubber hits the road!!!!!

·
Registered
606 Posts
James, where did you buy the trunk lid seal? I initially used CL seal, which seemed fine . Unfortunately the lid didn't fit properly so Im going with another lid. I was going to use 3M adhesive rubber seal , inexpensive but apparently does the job. I will re think that move after seeing your results! By the way your colour choice was a GREAT move. There will be some serious crooked necks as you motor down the road.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I just found my notes on the sound deadener I bought . Its called KILMAT , light weight , good reviews, well priced. I wont be setting it until the spring. I bought 50 sq ft. . I pulled grey heavy felt off of the floor when I started the resto.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #229
Just read through your thread and I really have to say you have a stunning machine now and not much more to do by the looks of it.

Awesome bit of inspiration for my little project.
James, I WISH, that my 66 gtv turns out as well !!!!!!!! Looks awesome...

@Notch and @kempton: Thank you very much for the kind words.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #231
Last comment, are you going to install some sound deadener inside the doors?
Luckily my car's doors still have their original sound deadener in place on the inside. That's the one place the media blasters fortunately didn't remove the original product from. It looks like the same product that used to be under the bonnet and bootlid. If I could do it all over again I would have kept the original product on the bonnet and boot/trunk, despite the fact that it wasn't in a perfect condition anymore. Seems impossible to replicate accurately these days.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #233
Sadly my brief time with our car has come to an end again. It may be another 9 to 12 months before I'll be able to get back. Quite a few things still need to be done: roof liner needs to be refitted due to a poor first effort; then the glass can be fitted; all the s/s trim around the windows and doors; those dreaded door rubbers; heat shielding on the firewall; carpeting; dash, gauges and steering wheel; seats; rubber mats in trunk and hubcaps' refurbishment.

So, here are some special photos for your viewing pleasure and to help me survive the separation :grin2:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Jannes,
The 9-12 month sounded like a deployment. I would wish you, and all vets everywhere, a safe passage.

221 - 240 of 273 Posts