Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 265 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dear Alfisti

Just bought a complete Giulia Sprint GTV. She needs a bare metal restoration. Will be sharing the progress with everyone. I will need alot of advice on the way please. I apologise in advance as the progress and replies will be slow due to my day job... First pics attached!

Best regards
VR

Attachments

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Welcome to the club, VR.
Your first Alfa?
I take it from the lack of seats and dust it has been sitting for a while.
BBers like lots of pictures!
Good luck with it!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I've owned 3 156's in the past. Just had to get to know the real Alfa heritage first hand. My dad has always had a RWD Classic Alfa in the garage.

Thank you Ranz. Yes, she's still in storage. Will be moved to my place next week. Most valuable difficult-to-find parts have been removed eg seats. Its been > 10 years since she's been on the road..

Glad I could already post some pics gprocket. Here's a few more of the wheels. Interesting: they are wearing 185/65 R15's. I think I like the wider wheels.

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
Best of luck, I hope you don't have any nasty surprises once the strip down starts (like I did.....!). I'm a long term Alfa owner that's always had modern FWD cars (Sud Sprint, 164, 156 and 156 GTA) and got a 105 coupe about 18 months ago because, like you, I always wanted one of the real classic Alfas. You will really love the car once you get to drive her, mine always puts a huge smile on my face.

What are your plans? Keeping her original or some modifications? And are you doing any of the work yourself?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Best of luck, I hope you don't have any nasty surprises once the strip down starts (like I did.....!). I'm a long term Alfa owner that's always had modern FWD cars (Sud Sprint, 164, 156 and 156 GTA) and got a 105 coupe about 18 months ago because, like you, I always wanted one of the real classic Alfas. You will really love the car once you get to drive her, mine always puts a huge smile on my face.

What are your plans? Keeping her original or some modifications? And are you doing any of the work yourself?
Thank you NigelR. My concern is the the sills behind the front wheelarches and in front of the rear wheelarches - it's already had repairs there.. the rest of the sills seem pretty solid. I've prepared myself for having to do extensive repairs in these areas. The rest of the car is very solid.

I want to keep it original and will try to get it as close to concourse as possible. Its very tempting though to modernize it and even change the colour if I look at what can be done with all the parts available these days.

I'm gonna try to do most of the stripping and re-assembling work myself..

It's great to know there are others who've done this before me on this forum. There's already so much info on here if you take time to search

·
Registered
450 Posts
great project

I know all about the pace - im about two years into my restoration already!

Took best part of a year to fit out workshop, strip her down and get her media blasted. The remainder has been tackling all the holes - but mine was exceptionally bad rust wise I think. I haven't seen worse than mine on here being restored.

have fun and enjoy the journey!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you BigMart. Its a privilege to have the opportunity to bring one of these beauties back to life. Its a great way to get to know a car as well.

I discovered a place close to home that does dry-ice blasting. Will have to take my time stripping the car. Then plan to remove all the rust (hopefully not much) and have the necessary body work done. Then its time for dry-ice blasting and primer quickly thereafter.

Will post alot more pics when the car arrives at my place next week!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Veloce Seats

Here are some pics of the seats.

This also leads to my first question: Does anyone have any experience in refurbishing the vinyl seat covers? They are still in very good condition apart from a few small holes. It would be a shame to have to buy new covers.

Also, the left sided seat's adjusting mechanisms cover is missing. Its gonna be a challenge to find a replacement without buying the whole assembly..

Attachments

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rust

Finally the car arrived after travelling 1400km from where it had been stored.

Starting to find out the extent of the project in more detail...

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
VeloceRosso, Good luck with your project. I'm just starting the "excavation" on my car as well. At times, it's kind of like an archaeological dig! I found similar thicknesses of filler on my car's right rocker panel (the one that didn't look too bad), but the left one presents honestly-with large gaping holes!

So far, most of the rust/damage is fairly obvious, but I have a long way to go, so I'm a bit apprehensive about what's ahead-as I'm sure you are.

Please keep us posted on your progress. We all learn from each other here, and I'm really impressed at some of the work that I've seen. I hope to start posting pictures in the next couple of weeks. Jim

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
VeloceRosso, Good luck with your project. I'm just starting the "excavation" on my car as well. At times, it's kind of like an archaeological dig! I found similar thicknesses of filler on my car's right rocker panel (the one that didn't look too bad), but the left one presents honestly-with large gaping holes!

So far, most of the rust/damage is fairly obvious, but I have a long way to go, so I'm a bit apprehensive about what's ahead-as I'm sure you are.

Please keep us posted on your progress. We all learn from each other here, and I'm really impressed at some of the work that I've seen. I hope to start posting pictures in the next couple of weeks. Jim
Thank you Jim. Yes, I'm bound to find a few more surprises me thinks.

Looking forward to see your posts.

I'll start cleaning the sills properly this weekend with a heatgun and putty knife and will send some more pics after.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Looks like it may have a bit more than "minimal rust"....... What do you think so far? Any nasty surprises or about what you expected?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thank you Jim. Yes, I'm bound to find a few more surprises me thinks.

Looking forward to see your posts.

I'll start cleaning the sills properly this weekend with a heatgun and putty knife and will send some more pics after.
The surprises on a 50 year old Alfa 105 series is not if there is rust, the surprise is only for those place if it's not rusted!!!!
Standard replacement of sills (outside, centre and inside), floors, jacking points, wheels arches (inside and outside) are to be considered as standard. Good thing is all of these body parts are more or less available and makes it easy to build up/ reconstruct the car again.

Anyway keep us updated and posting the photo's of your project.

·
Registered
11,655 Posts
Looks very much like how my car looked when I bought her. Maybe I should not have said that ... :eek:

But as has been said you can buy really good replacement panels now :)

Will be watching and best of luck
Pete

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I have to admit that I'm worried that I may have to replace more of the sills than I had expected. Was hoping that I would only have to have new outer front and rear wing repair sections welded in. Rust looks worse and might be extending into the middle and even inner sills esp. on the right rear.

Will know more details after the weekend I hope. All part of the fun of restoring a 50 year old Alfa!

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have to admit that I'm worried that I may have to replace more of the sills than I had expected. Was hoping that I would only have to weld in new outer front and rear wing repair sections. Rust looks worse and might be extending into the middle and even inner sills esp. on the right rear.

Will know more details after the weekend I hope. All part of the fun of restoring a 50 year old Alfa!
Veloce rosso, just do it right straight away, and replace in case of rust the whole sill. This is part of the stiffness of the body, and most probabbly the bottom part of the A-pillar is also damaged by rust. When replacing complete sills it works much easyer and you are assured you have it done the right way. Cost wise it's also worthwhile to avoid have work. They GT Veloce has become a highly interested model within the 105 GT range. So your money is well invested.

1 - 20 of 265 Posts