Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have just decided to sell my 1966 Duetto, located in the Washington DC area (Northern Virginia). Our new baby makes it hard to imagine ever being able to have the time to enjoy this car.

It is very nice, runs very well and has no known rust. The color is Bianco Farina (or Pininfarina) AR008 and the paint is nice and glossy. The interior is also very nice and the original rubber mats are still there beneath the carpeting that was added later. The top is also nice. Everything seems to work fine. The car has it's original wheels and hubcaps. The exhaust system is essentially new.

This beautiful, documented car was originally owned by a gentleman in Brescia, Italy and was exported to the UK where it was nicely restored. It is not perfect, but I am truly proud to drive it. During the restoration in the UK, the previous owner put a European 1971 Spider Veloce's 1750 engine in, and upgraded the mechanical clutch to a hydraulic clutch. I have the original 1966 engine block to go with the car for anyone worried about matching numbers. The car was then imported to the US in around 2003 to California and recently brought to the East Coast

I'm now asking $15,000 (reduced) for this car, but would seriously consider serious offers. I hate to sell it, but I must. Please let me know if you have any questions or interest. Thanks.

The car is pictured here with Mille Miglia wheels, which have been removed and sold. The last picture just shows the car garaged. I will take and post more pictures over the weekend, if requested and time permitting. Thanks in advance for your interest!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
plan b

I would sell the Volkswagen ....I mean Porsche ...

·
Registered
763 Posts
Is that a triumph herald in the background??? My eyes are tired so I could be wrong...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I just wanted to show where the Duetto rests, not to focus attention on the other two cars. They are a 1972 911 and a 1966 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1A. Cheers.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Ahhh Sunbeam Tiger I shouldve known! Great collection. Best of luck with the sale of an absolutely stunning Spider!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well, I've gotten lots of compliments about the car, thanks. It's indeed a nice one, but I would like to sell it ASAP. So, I would even be willing to take a somewhat lower price. In fact, I lowered my asking price by $2500 above. Does anyone know what the car's market value is these days? Where should I price it to sell it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Good Luck

Tigrr,
If I recall correctly, you bought this car recently, had done a fair amount of research, and were committed to improving it. I followed your efforts closely as I have the same car, same color, etc. I think that a good driver is worth about 19-20K in this market and the fact that you have the 1600 1966 engine is important to emphasize in order to get the price you want. I think your pricing is fair if not on the low side, but I appreciate your circumstances in wanting to sell quickly. You could try Ebay and Craigslist and put the word out with local shops. Only question I have is emblem on trunk looks off--should be the Alfa Romeo script on a 1966 Duetto. You might want to look into that. Best of luck.
Franny Alfa

Well, I've gotten lots of compliments about the car, thanks. It's indeed a nice one, but I would like to sell it ASAP. So, I would even be willing to take a somewhat lower price. In fact, I lowered my asking price by $2500 above. Does anyone know what the car's market value is these days? Where should I price it to sell it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Franny, Thanks. I guess will put it up on eBay once I've take good pictures of it, hopefully tomorrow. I am still hoping someone with the Alfa passion will want to buy this car from a longtime Alfista (I have been driving Alfas since the early 1980s and have had several Spiders and Duettos, and many recent Alfas (even an Alfasud!) like the 155, 156, etc.) That's why I brought it up here first. I am still hopeful.

You're right about what you said. I have not had this car too long, unfortunately. The upside of that is that I have not gotten too attached to it yet. I had so many great plans for it, though! At the time I bought it, I had no idea that what my friends were telling me (that life would never be the same again with a new baby in the family) was actually true. I really have almost no time for anything I have to do, and absolutely zero time to spend in the garage with the car. I have driven it a good bit, though, even to work, and really like it. It's so much easier to drive than the Tiger, or even the Porsche. One thing that's amazing is that it smells exactly like my 1969 Spider did. Must be a special Alfa odor. Gets me giddy! If I close my eyes, it's just like being in my 1969 spider.

Regarding the trunk badge, you're right. The 1966 Duetto should have the Alfa Romeo script on the right side of the lid. When the Brits restored this, they went with the look of the 1968 1750, with the round cloisonne and 1750 badge. I don't mind because that's basically how the car is configured right now. It's not a big deal to change it, but I will leave that to the next lucky owner. Thanks for your advice! Cheers.

·
Registered
42 Posts
alfa for sale--911?

I saw the 72 911 and thought you might consider selling it, if you did
do you have a price in mind and any details, s, t, e, ?
Thanks
Frank

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Price Reduced

In order to sell this more quickly, I've reduced the price to what I think is a very reasonable $14,000 OBO. Thanks for all the interest!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Nope, I bought it

Hi - I ended up buying this car (via EBay!?!?) and after waiting eagerly for it to be delivered it is down here in Austin, Texas, I'm getting to know the car, getting the list of what needs doing figured out and re-learning about Alfas (my last one was the Spider I owned back in the mid 80's.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
congratulations

I think the car looks like a nice one for a nice price. Let me know if I can help. The upgrades look nicely done with a booster and a proper 1750 script for a 1750 engine, which a lot of people really like for "tractability." Probably has ATE brakes over Dunlops. I get my rebuilds done by John at Goldline in Seattle. He does a great job. Send them flat rate USPS and save if you need rebuilds. You can have them powdercoated if you want too.

It's a very nice combination, 1750 and upgraded brakes. The dash looks uncracked too.

Nice purchase from the pictures. I think Brian Wermeyer, ossodiseppia, roundtail guru, would concur.

There are a lot of crappolas on ebay, but this one looked good, hope you found it so on arrival.

I just went through my 1969 changing over motor, transmission mounts. All the front bushings, except for the lower pan inners as they seemed to move OK. Also the rear trailing arms and T bar accessible parts; I also installed new shocks. It made a big difference. It is time consuming, but done. Alfaholics has bigger front mounts, or use Paul Spruells kit. Changing them is not for the faint of heart.

Wes

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
13,381 Posts

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
oops, didn't look close enough. See I told you about guru.

There is a fellow in WA I talked to down around Vancouver who will redo a dash top for you. He wrangled me a deal on the phone, after I discovered I have 2 69 dashtops. I bought an uncracked one from Classic Alfa which featured a 67 dash with an uncracked top but came with a 69 dashtop! In other words the metal was a 67 but the top was a 69! Not worth returning.

I talked to the recover shop on the phone only. I haven't seen a finished product. If you want to go that route, I can supply a core if you return your old one. You are close in Austin so I know where to find you if you don't return the core!

It's a big job, but not too horrible changing out a dash.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks everybody! The plan is to do general clean and polish, change the fluids, take care of any issues needed to get the car ready for "fun drive" duty, drive for a good while and then prepare for a cosmetic restoration sometime down the road.

In the meantime I'll find out what bits are missing (for example, the trim under the speedometer and tach that goes around the ignition switch) and track them down!

Mechanically, the car has few issues (well, I haven't driven it much yet...so we'll see). 2nd gear crunchiness, an intermittent starter, a very stiff choke cable, a bunch of dim lights (I'm going through and cleaning the grounds) and no free play in the clutch (maybe that's normal for the hydraulic clutch?) and the steering wheel on upside down (the PO warned me about that) are the things I've seen so far.

Cosmetically, it is a nice driver. Paint is good from 5 feet but there are a few spots where old repairs show where some shortcuts in prep were taken and some parts were not quite right (like the way the headlights are mounted). A few areas of surface rust but nothing bubbling through from inside sills, fenders, floors. etc.

The Interior is good. The seats have been re-done, the dash has been capped rather well and the rubber mats are in pretty good shape (though buried under a couple of layers of kind of dubious carpet). The transmission tunnel carpet is red, which I don't *think* is correct with the rest of the black interior. But I can use expert guidance on that!

I'll post some pictures over in the photo section. And I'll check those brakes to see if they are ATEs or Dunlops! I've got my fingers crossed....

Lorenzo

1 - 20 of 20 Posts