Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, after a long break from the board (years) I forgot my account info and decided it would be easier to just make a new one. Here's why - I have a 1966 Duetto, VIN is AR660759. It's a rust free car that runs and drives but I have had parked since driving it home to Colorado from Anneheim, CA in mid 2006. I've been planning on restoring it and then selling it as its no longer my kind of car (I want a car I can drive around and not stress about leaving in a parking lot). She's in pretty sad shape right now, but I have a new top to go on and am planning on cleaning up the interior and installing a carpet set, maybe even having the seats done.

I need help though, I'll likely be selling in the next few weeks instead of following through with my restoration. My wife is pregnant and we will be having the baby in early September, which just pushes my time frame further into the future. I was trying to sell my other car to pay for medical bills and get a more family oriented one, but that didn't work out, so my dream Alfa is going to have to go.

My question is, what is it worth? Like I said, there's no rust, but I can tell there's some bondo in the nose and tail. It's a very low mileage car and mechanically in very good shape aside from needing a battery and needing the radiator brazed to repair a leak. There's no grinding gears on any shifts, and its a Farina built chassis. I know I'll need to post some pics, and I will tomorrow, but any help would be appreciated.

I'll be sad to see it go, but this car isn't meant for me anyway. It should be with a collector or someplace it will be safe and stay around as a survivor. Thanks for taking the time to read this and help, and I'll get some pics up tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
21,484 Posts
I would say even that might be a friendly/optimistic price. More info and pics will give a better clue. Review completed sales on ebay for 67 and 69 Spiders, in approx similiar condition for some samples.
Andrew

·
Registered
39 Posts
My 66 Duetto Experience

I bought my 66 Duetto last year for about $11k. It was in mechanically pretty good condition (it did need 2nd gear synchro replaced so I ended up rebuilding the transmission). The interior is good, the top is "newish" and the paint and body is in the "good 10-footer" range. There had been previous encounters with solid objects and body repairs ranging from quite good to not so great. There's a spot of rust in the spare tire well and some surface rust here and there underneath but no rot in the rockers, no holes in the floor, no nasty crunchy bits in the jacking points.

There were (of course) a few miscellaneous projects to do as soon as I got the car (most described elsewhere on the ABB). Mine has been updated to a 1750 engine, hydraulic clutch, etc. That's great for a driver but might detract from value for a full restoration candidate.

I don't think I got an exceptional deal but I don't think I paid over market either. I hope that helps you in figuring out what yours is worth.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts