Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Slowly sifting thru my storage and I found a head I had almost forgotten I had!
I bought it, and then was told its a 1600 Duetto head from a '66.
Can someone tell me how to confirm this, and how thick it should be stock, to see if its scrap or good?
I have the cams still in it too, how do I ID them?

·
Super Moderator
11,339 Posts
Slowly sifting thru my storage and I found a head I had almost forgotten I had!
I bought it, and then was told its a 1600 Duetto head from a '66.
Can someone tell me how to confirm this, and how thick it should be stock, to see if its scrap or good?
Check out Centerline Alfa Romeo Parts (888) 750-ALFA
1600 heads are becomming pretty scarce these days. If you decide to scrap it, I'll be happy to recycle it for you.

I have the cams still in it too, how do I ID them?
Read the part numbers off the cams, and then check: http://www.centerlinealfa.com/tips/images/p51.pdf
If it is a Duetto head, the stock cams would be p/n 105020320001

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for that Jay!
I knew I had seen the specs somewhere, but have been away so long, I swear I am suffering from "Alfa Amnesia"!
What is a "Good" 1600 head and cams worth?
I am out of work, and trying to clear my storage of stuff I dont need, and put some funds aside for project needs!
Also found the cast auminum Webber Carb intake plenium(upper and lower)and Air filter case. from the same 66!
I had bead blasted the Plenium, and it looks great, and the air filter case was stripped and prepped for powdercoat, but I had not decided what finish was correct... satin, semi, or gloss black?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Problem is I have a few heads... I know I have a 1600 and I think this is the one, just need some help to ID...
http://www.international-auto.com/a...e-displacement-recognition-for-alfa-romeo.cfm
Here is the casing mark on the rear... I cannot find the Cross or + that would confirm..

Here is the casting number at the front...

Cam pics showing that the numbers are:
105 20320001 and then has a little @ or fish mark...
So these are 1600 cams.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Those look to be 105 Veloce cams.
On the front of the head , there should be a mark cast in. This would tell if it is a 1600 or 1750 head.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The numbers say they are stock duetto cams... Veloce cams start 101 according to that centerline ID sheet...:mad:

The only casting mark I see on the front of the head is what I posted... am I missing something???

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Maybe I used the wrong terms.....
105 Veloce, as in GTV, Duetto as opposed to 105 normale cams used in the early Super, TI and early GT.
My 1600 Duetto and Super motors have no part # , but have a circle with a square inside on the front.
Does your head have the 2 hold down tabs on the top ?

·
Super Moderator
11,339 Posts
Hey Keyspider - that was me in the red Giulia spider this morning at Cars & Coffee. We traded cell #'s. 101/105guy was wandering around too.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Keyspider - that was me in the red Giulia spider this morning at Cars & Coffee. We traded cell #'s. 101/105guy was wandering around too.
Not me, I was not there......

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe I used the wrong terms.....
105 Veloce, as in GTV, Duetto as opposed to 105 normale cams used in the early Super, TI and early GT.
My 1600 Duetto and Super motors have no part # , but have a circle with a square inside on the front.
Does your head have the 2 hold down tabs on the top ?
Ok....
I guess I am at a loss. The only thing that I can see on the head is the pics i posted above....
Hold down tabs?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, I am a little more enlightened and more confused at the same time....

By pulling the Hood on my 2.0 '74 and looking at the head, I see differences...
I see the two tabs on my '74 head... they hold down the front edge of the cam cover.... The head I am trying to ID does not have them.
I see the casting ID marks(a square) and where they are on the '74 head, but this head only has what I posted above... a casting or part number and the @ or fish mark above it.

Help!

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Looking through my parts manuals I have these numbers for the 1600 heads

105.00.01.053.00 Giulia Ti
101.21.01.053.00 GT ,GTC, Ti Super & Super
101.32.01.053.00 GTA
101.36.01.053.00 GTV

Without the tabs means it is an early 1600 or 1300. I have a tabless 1300 head at home. I will check it this evening and see if it has the same part number as yours.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Yes, very early ( '64, '65 ) 105 series as in GT, Super or TI. We didn't get any 1300s here at the time.
I believe that the Duetto was imported later ( '66, '67 )

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, very early ( '64, '65 ) 105 series as in GT, Super or TI. We didn't get any 1300s here at the time.
I believe that the Duetto was imported later ( '66, '67 )
Are you saying thats what it is?

This one came to me by chance...
I had some tires for sale on CL, and met up with the guy to do the tire deal. We ended up talking cars and I mentioned I have 2 Alfa's.
IIRC, He told me he used to have a 66 Duetto, and mentioned he still had parts in his garage... my interest peaked, and we did a trade. He said he had sold the car, incomplete many years back, and found the head and stuff later.
Who knows really...

·
Super Moderator
11,339 Posts
Alfajay said:
Hey Keyspider - that was me in the red Giulia spider this morning at Cars & Coffee. We traded cell #'s.
Not me, I was not there......
Hmm, that's weird. There was a guy from Irvine walking around Cars & Coffee yesterday, who approached at least two Alfa owners asking if they needed the Duetto head he's got squirreled away in his garage.

I guess there must be an epidemic of surplus 1600 heads there in Irvine!

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If he didn't have an English Accent, he was an Imposter!

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finally found the time to measure the head thickness....
Not as easy as it sounds!
I am getting 111.85 mm or 4.405".

Is that good?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Keyspider
Regarding your cylinder head - the pic of the front end with the 105 number ... and no "ears" for front cam cover bolts leads me to think it's actually from a 1600 Giulia Sprint /Spider engine. It really doesn't matter as it will fit any 1600 block.

And that "@ or fish mark" ... is the Greek letter alpha

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Keyspider
Regarding your cylinder head - the pic of the front end with the 105 number ... and no "ears" for front cam cover bolts leads me to think it's actually from a 1600 Giulia Sprint /Spider engine. It really doesn't matter as it will fit any 1600 block.

And that "@ or fish mark" ... is the Greek letter alpha
Awesome!

I have no need for it and am trying to clear my storage, so I will be selling it...
Watch this space!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts