Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all; my car has a trace of oil in the coolant system after a short drive to get the water and oil temp. up - just a couple of drops can be seen on a paper towel stuffed down the radiator filler neck and into the coolant. I do not see oil on the surface of the coolant in the radiator neck. A recent development is oily smoke out of the exhaust, not seen previously. I want to resolve this issue.

The engine has been rebuilt and it has about 500 miles on the rebuild; compression checks on the rebuilt engine in the past have been excellent and I have torqued the head nuts down and rechecked them.

Yesterday, with the help of a friend, I rechecked the compression (PSI) with the engine warm, all plugs out, full throttle with these results:

#1=190 to 195 after about 5 revs, final=200.
#2-ditto
#3-195 to 197, final 197
#4-195 to 200, final 200

In previous tests on another engine, my compression gauge gave similar readings to a friend's, so it is likely the gauge readings are correct.

We then followed with a leakdown test with a Moroso gauge:

#1-3% , a second test was 5%
#2-7%, 8-9%
#3-7%, 7%
#4-3%, 5 1/2%

I think this shows the rings and valves are OK.

What do you folks think-bad head gasket, bad testing procedure.....????

On a separate issue occuring at about the same time frame, lost all of the brake fluid out of the master cylinder and I see oil/fluid on the drip pan beneath the engine, so I likely need a master cylinder rebuild. I think the master cylinder is Lockheed or Lucas; does anyone know the diameter of the master cylinder piston, as Moss sells a rebuild kit for a 7/8" bore?

Help solicited.

Larry Benson

In

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Your compression and leak down test is all very well. I would do a coolant flush and drive it for a while to see what if any of it comes back. Did you have the radiator cleaned while the engine was rebuilt? It might be residual. If the headgasket is leaking it would be oil into the water , or water into the cylinders. Pressurize the radiator and see if the pressure goes down. if it does, see if water is in one of the cylinders. if no water, I would so a visual to see if there is a leak. Just tossing out some suggestions to try.

·
Premium Member
21,308 Posts
Have you ever looked in the radiator before and seen a little oil? In mine I see an oily film sometimes and a tiny amount of gunge. Wipe it out, if it doesn't get worse I wouldn't worry about it, other than monitoring. And watch the coolant level.

The brakes, if stock, are Girling. Classic Alfa, AlfaStop, OKP in Germany, Centerline, Jon Norman all have the proper parts to replace or rebuild your MC.

Andrew

·
Registered
957 Posts
General rule, more important to be able to stop than go …… fix brakes first.
I agree you should flush out the radiator & block ……. just water, not solvents. Then refill with antifreeze and DISTILLED water and a "Aulma-Seal" (as Alfa said in period Service Bulletin).

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
General rule, more important to be able to stop than go …… fix brakes first.
I agree you should flush out the radiator & block ……. just water, not solvents. Then refill with antifreeze and DISTILLED water and a "Aulma-Seal" (as Alfa said in period Service Bulletin).
Thanks Carl

I flushed out the radiator with water and baking soda, then water again. Do you have a copy of that Service Bulletin you could send me.

A thought: perhaps the oil leakage is at the base of a liner where the liner is inserted into the block and a thin rubber gasket is used as a seal.......

My other choice would be the head gasket or the small o rings that seal the oil passages from the block to the head.

But how to differentiate????

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Liner leaks go into the oil pan. Remove the plug to see if water comes out. Orings in the head gasket leaks to the outside or into the water jacket. Only one way to know if this is the problem. "Off with the head!"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts