Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys and gals; Could someone point me in the right direction of chassis dimensions for a 101? I've gone to some of the usual suspects locally and researched the web and have only found pieces and jig dimensions. I want to make sure the car is square before I start on the body. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
7,523 Posts
If you are concerned about the chassis being out of square, You really don't need any specified dimensions. Try picking two points on the front subframe and two points on the rear.. Both pairs of points should be intuitively equidistant from the centerline of the car. Then stretch a tape measure diagonally from front to rear. The measurement should be equal to each other if the car is square. A good place to start in front would be the center of the lower A-arm ball joint cap.. possibly a zerk fitting ....in the rear you could use avertical plumb line to index where the end of the bumper mounts fall... FWIW, I think it takes one helluva knock to put a Spider out of kilter.. Ill-fitting doors would be the first clue. Just my two sense.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I already know it's off. The car was run into a ditch many years ago and I recently rescued it. I have it at my frame shop. If I know the exact dimensions per the spec we can dial in the finished product. Thanks, again.

·
Registered
361 Posts
You didn’t specify 101 Spider or Sprint, or SS, or SVZ, so I’m guessing Uncle already knows. I can measure under my 101 Spider today since the suspension is all still on my work tables. That’s the best I can do. Good enough? Not sure who might have exact blue prints these days.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I have sent an email to one of the local guys here that is restoring a 65 veloce spider and has spent ages measuring various cars and cross checking them. hopefully he will respond. cheers Ian

·
Registered
971 Posts
The earlies full chassis specifications for body shops I have ever seen was with 105 series. There is the attached in the 750 Shop manual. P2034692.JPG P2034693.JPG

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have sent an email to one of the local guys here that is restoring a 65 veloce spider and has spent ages measuring various cars and cross checking them. hopefully he will respond. cheers Ian
Thank you Ian!. Let me know if you have any luck.

·
Registered
708 Posts
mick has said hell let you know, just has visitors from O/S at the moment

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hi Guys and gals; Could someone point me in the right direction of chassis dimensions for a 101? I've gone to some of the usual suspects locally and researched the web and have only found pieces and jig dimensions. I want to make sure the car is square before I start on the body. Thanks in advance!
HI Saccameno,
I was seeking similar information when I posted Dimensional similarities between a 101 Spider and Sprint.
As you can see from the discussion, there is plenty of sound advice and good techniques which all have their place when rebuilding a spider.
However, maybe like you, I was after additional dimensions so I could independently support the front and rear of my car then remove the sills and floor. I was unsure of extent of any past damage and/or how the car had been supported during past major surgery.
I suspect that there are restorers out there that have set up jigs and frames using sound bodies however they may not want to release the information so as to protect their businesses. If so, I understand.
As Ian knows, I did my best to measure up a few cars and I made a stiff frame based on those dimensions plus I used some of the above mentioned advice to make a small adjustment. Unfortunately, it'll take me a week or so to assemble the info so that makes sense.
Lastly, one challenging point for me was the one using the doors to manage the door gap and, hence, being able to control the relationship between rear of the car and the doors. One of my doors has a 'soft' front plate where the hinges attach to the door. The rear of the door can be lifted or lowered slightly which would change the door gap without moving the rear of the car. So is the back in the right position...bugger!!! Maybe someone leaned very heavily on the door whilst it was open. (This will need to repaired at some stage) Hence, I couldn't use this as a useful technique.
Cheers, Mick

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hi Saccameno
Still haven't had time to assemble a reply.
It's been a weird 5 mths. We've now had floods, high winds and we lost power for 4.5 days. Still got OS guests and going away for a break.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts