Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I new this day would eventually come...but always hoped it would be later rather than sooner. My "family racer" will be in need of a new caretaker and I wanted the esteemed members of this site to be aware of the car's availability.

I have finally added a nice pre-war Le Mans / Mille Miglia eligible car to the herd and find myself having to clear room and raise some needed expense money. Andrew Watry and many others on this site know the car pretty well, especially those out of the Bay Area.

Anyway, as usual, I committed financial suicide on this one but sure had some dynamite times at the races in addition to regular duty as a week-day school bus for my little ones.

I posted the car to ebay and hemmings. Here is a link to the ebay listing:

Alfa Romeo | eBay

It should be up on Hemmings tomorrow.

Anyone interested is welcome to email me at [email protected] or ring me directly at 619 840 7811.

The car has full FIA HTP documents, is currently road registered in California on the original black plates in my name.

I can assist with world-wide shipping at a fantastic discount as well as full importation with reduced or no duty and low VAT in many countries should overseas buyers have an interest.

Warm regards,

Bill Noon

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Man, your TI looks great ! Hope some one steps up who knows how much fun a car like this can be !!
Who did your beauty shots ??
They really show off the car well.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks for the kind note...

I have forgotten who took the various on-track shots as well as the Vintage Motor Sport photos. After each race, I usually had quite a few nice ones emailed to me and probably should have kept better track of who provided what. I took the studio and FIA photos myself and have gotten fairly good at it over the years simply by repetition.

Some weeks, I will inspect and photograph as many five even six cars. Depends on how lucky our company is getting in new inventory. Lately finding cars for resale has been a real challenge and a good many are sold before ever arriving at the workshop or showroom.

Cheers,

Bill Noon

·
Registered
597 Posts
Alvin's Burlingame car..
i remember checking this car out a couple of years ago. The colour looks even better in person, good luck with the sale

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's the one! Pretty well known by the Bay Area enthusiasts even after a few years down south with me and my family. Many thanks for the kind comments!

Ciao,

Bill

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Aw, bummer Bill. Loved seeing your car on the track.

Great T.I.

You'll regret it...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I already do... but I simply only have real room for five to six cars and have 8 at the moment. One is coming out of a long-term restoration and being my only real "concours" car will have to take up one of my indoor spots. I just added a 1928 Chrysler 72 "Le Mans" Roadster which will finally give me a pre-war car to run in the Mille Miglia as well as the Le Mans classic. This is something I have not had since I sold my 1931 1750 GS Alfa Romeo. The other advantage to the Chrysler is a rear rumble seat which allows me to take my family on tours and rallies although no where near as functional or practical as the Ti, it seemed to be the right solution given how hard it is to get decent cars any more in this market.

Anyway, my loss is going to be someone's dynamite gain and I hope the car brings their family as much fun as it has mine.

Ciao,

Bill

·
Premium Member
23,106 Posts
I tried to buy this car twice about 15 years apart. Had a deal but got screwed the first time, didn't make a high enough offer the second.
Having my own patina-heavy Super racer now, I'll sit this one out. Good luck with the sale; I liked this car when I looked at it a couple years ago and it's much better now.
Andrew

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good morning Andrew and many thanks for your kind words and praise. Coming from you this means quite a bit to me and I want to thank you again for so much help before and after my purchase.

I have back to back inspections schedule Thursday and Friday so there seems to be genuine interest already. I will keep all updated as things develop.

Cheers,

Bill

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
This car is everything I wish my Super was, and your price seems extremely fair. Good luck with the sale!

-Jason

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Lovely car. The photos show lapbelts only. Is that how you track the vehicle? It would seem that most sanctioning organizations would want to see something more.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good afternoon Zinhead, I only race in the States in HMSA sanctioned events such as Monterey, Coronado etc... Their rules for period GT cars mimic those of the FIA which sanction the races I run in Europe such as the Tour Auto (Tour de France) Targa Florio, Le Mans Classic etc... Both of these groups do not require anything beyond lap belts so long as they are the three-inch web type with a current date code and tag of compliance.

The same applies for a roll bar. HMSA recommends one but does not require it for Period GT cars.

The car does have the required battery internal and external cut-outs as well as internal and external FIA / AFFF three-point fire system.

I tend to be pretty much a purist when it comes to racing. I am rarely ever competitive but finishing near the back or even last is always more fun than watching from the sidelines.

The minimal safety updates also kept the car family friendly and most importantly "wife" friendly. We use the car regularly on the weekends for "date" night and my little ones always think its a treat getting to school in the "family racer!"

If you are looking for a dedicated racer for SVRA, HSR type events, you may find their rules more strict on safety and modern updates. I am sure their are esteemed members of this group that can give you better and more accurate information than I can.

Hope this helps,

Bill

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am in shock on multiple levels! I have a lot of "I am sorry but I am afraid the car has been sold" emails cued up on my server going out right now. I sent the car to our shop to assist with inspections this afternoon, tomorrow and several more later this week.

The crazy thing is the buyer is a great guy I have known for the better part of the past decade and tried to sell him multiple cars from our store. I am super happy he is getting the car but surprised it was this one and not something off the showroom floor that finally broke the ice.

Cheers and many thanks to all in this group for such kind words and assistance.

Bill

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The new owner is a complete gentleman and a die-hard Alfa Racer and enthusiast to the core. I feel bad their could be only one buyer but happy it ended up being him!

Ciao,

Bill

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Buyer has wired payment in full! The entire sale from start to finish took just shy of 20 hours. Again my thanks to all for support, direct and indirect assistance.

Bill

1 - 20 of 30 Posts