Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings Ladies and Gentlemen. I am working on restoring my father's 1965 Giulia Spider 1600 and have run into an issue with the lower ball joint removal. I have scoured the threads and can't find anything to help beyond "use a bigger hammer/ heat/ make a tool" so I hope you can guide me further with the bugger below.

I have done all of the above suggestions, first (after removing the spring clip of course) a spanner wrench. Next came heat and a spanner. Followed by a lot more heat and 1/2" impact tool that some friends and I welded according to a recommendation on another thread. The tool fit and held together but now it is deforming after 140psi worth of pressure attempting to spin the pictured cover out.

Can someone please help me because I thought that surely this would stump a garage full of guys!? Am I missing something?

·
Registered
891 Posts
Take a solid metal rod of .5 to 1 meter. Drill 2 holes with exact the same distance, and place 2 bolts with nuts in the holes. That should give you leverage.
Also use heat and let it soak

There is a thread on this with a title "front suspension rebuild"

·
Registered
7,759 Posts
As described above, I made this a while ago to remove the ball joints.

Chris
This seems the way to go with a center hole for a bolt to screw into the zerk fitting hole ( assuming it isn't a tapered thread) to stabilize the bar and keep it from slipping out of position...did the poster remove the snap ring? Always have to ask.....it seems to be a common issue glossed over.

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Chris,

As you posted nothing after requesting help with the lower ball joint removal on the Spider, I assume that you resolved the issue.

I'm asking because I'm facing the same chore and wondered if you bought or made a tool for the job. If you need it no longer, would you be willing to sell, rent or loan it to a fellow Giulia Spider owner?

Thanks

Ray

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Hi Ray,

It wasn't I who was having difficulty. I was just showing the group the tool that I'd made for the job and unfortunately I have now lent/given it to a mate of mine who is restoring a Berlina - sorry.

As you can see from the photo, it is quite easy to make.

Kind regards,
Chris

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Well, as it turns out, I won't be replacing any of the ball joints, after all. Everything seems to be "tiger-tight"; so Greig Smith's "if so-leave alone" guidelines will be followed. That'll save
time & $$$!

Ray

1 - 8 of 8 Posts