Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw this SSZ listed in a Russo and Steele Auction.

Here is a link to the listing page.
1965 Alfa Romero SSZ First Prototype - RussoandSteele.com

Copy from the link above:

This car is the first of four SSZ (Sprint Speciale Zat) prototypes built by Tom Zat, a world-renowned expert, on an A-R Sprint Speciale Chassis. The Alfa Romeo factory contacted Zat about building a car to win the SCCA National Championship. Zat proposed a racer based on the Bertone-designed Sprint Speciale. With factory blessings and support, Zat began work on this project by building four prototypes of what would later become a dominant and successful racecar line. The first four were built on Alfa Romeo SS chassis, and future SSZs were built on tube frames. Zat campaigned SSZ cars in S.C.C.A., and took home three national championships.

Zat’s first prototype was born from a 1965 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint Speciale. It has a heavily modified racing suspension, 4-wheel disc brakes, alloy body panels, low-nose bodywork, a locked 5.12 rear end, and a whopping 140hp! It is a matching-numbers car featured on the cover of the Alfa Owner Magazine and numerous other publications. Of four prototypes built by Zat, only two remain, this first prototype and the first tilt front clip car, still owned by Zat. The other two vehicles have been completely destroyed.

It was displayed for a decade in the Alfa Heaven Museum, which holds North America’s largest collection of Alfas. Additionally, it has been traced through all previous owners, and has a well-documented history.

Russo and Steele Collector Automobiles
Thursday, Friday, & Saturday
March 27th - 29th, 2008
Hollywood, Florida

-------------------------

I have no affiliation with the car or sale I'm just passing information to the community as I think this is a interesting Alfa.

Attachments

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
Zat and Ray Milo brought the later, tube chassis, Alfa 164 powered car for display a few years ago. THe car was at Ray Milo's shop in North Hollywood, and both Charlie T. and I got to drive it before it went up to Monterey

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Didn't they sell that car at Monterey a couple years back?
Yes they must have changed the web page. It originally had some info on there mentioning that it last traded hands in Monterey a few years ago.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I guess I must be living under a rock because this is the first I have heard of Zat's SS cars even existing. The pile of parts cars that existed that went to San Diego and eventually to APE, I was aware of. I also knew he had some Veloce spiders in the pile. However, here is the first time I have heard of his SS efforts. Can someone fill me in more about these cars and the racing history please? Photographs are appreciated. :)

·
Registered
9,763 Posts
I guess I must be living under a rock because this is the first I have heard of Zat's SS cars even existing. The pile of parts cars that existed that went to San Diego and eventually to APE, I was aware of. I also knew he had some Veloce spiders in the pile. However, here is the first time I have heard of his SS efforts. Can someone fill me in more about these cars and the racing history please? Photographs are appreciated. :)
Try this thread. Some links on the alfaheaven.com web site have disapeared but are partially available through the Archive.org Wayback Machine.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Interesting links. :D Thank you for sharing. My next effort will be to call Tom and introduce myself. I hope to have an interesting conversation with him, I am sure I will.

·
Registered
9,763 Posts
Interesting links. :D Thank you for sharing. My next effort will be to call Tom and introduce myself. I hope to have an interesting conversation with him, I am sure I will.
Charming as you might be, I'm guessing you'll be facing quite an uphill battle, as it is generally known that Tom Zat distanced himself from the Alfa community (I know about him indirectly only as the publisher of the 2000/2600 register for a while). Chances are you will be talking to Dale, a lady who knows a lot about cars, and has seen a lot of Alfa people come and go. Asking about these cars or Alfas in general may touch on some disappointments they may have had with Alfa people in North America.

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
well, Tom's place is still called "Alfa" Heaven, and it's still packed with Alfas, and he's still selling Alfa parts... doesn't sound like TOO far a distance!

-jason
WA, USA

Zat sold most of his stuff to Mark Giunter something like 10 years ago. Tom still has a lot of cars, that are interesting, but have been rotting away for a long time. He has no parts, as far as I am aware.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,451 Posts
well, Tom's place is still called "Alfa" Heaven, and it's still packed with Alfas, and he's still selling Alfa parts... doesn't sound like TOO far a distance!
Tom was truly one of the original Alfa "characters" in the USA. While he wasn't everyone's idea of a conventional businessman, I think the Alfa community is poorer for his absence.

I met him in the early '90s and had some interesting and very memorable times up at Alfa Heaven.

Without commenting on causes or reasons, I think it is really Tom's wish at this point to be left alone by the Alfa community. He does have some parts he is still disposing of, but in general he's not actively courting Alfa business.

Joe

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
I've know Tom for at least 25 years. He has always been a curmudgeon, like me. I never had any problems in dealing with him.

Tom finally got tired of a lot of the Alfa people, and basically, sold all the parts and a few cars to Mark Guinter.

Mark went out of business some time ago (at least 3-4 years). He was claiming he didn't get everything he paid for, and Tom said he wasn't paid for everything he sent. I told both Tom and Mark I didn't want to get in the middle of any dispute they had.

I have no idea where what was "left over" when Mark went out of business went to.

If Tom has some parts, it can't be very much. He still has a number of interesting cars, but as I said earlier, the stuff has been just sitting and rotting away for years.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts