Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Good luck with this beauty.
I am just starting a search for one. I hope I can find one that looks this good.
Dino
Good luck with your search.

As for myself, it took around two months to gather data and decide.
There were around half a dozen available in Europe then. Had to be careful in choosing the right car since not all are what the sellers claim they are.

w/ smiles
Jimmy

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Thank you for sharing this beautiful car with us..... The SS is perhaps the most beautiful of all Alfas and that is saying something...

More pictures please!

Oh, and may I ask a question? Between the back edge of the hood and the windscreen there appears to be a piece of clear plexiglass

image.jpeg

What is its purpose please?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Congrats on your great find Jimmy! Mine is a 66, also white, however, with a blue interior. Have to admit, I like your interior color better.

Regarding your question on the switches/knobs. The upper knobs are (at least on mine & its pretty original), from left to right from the steering wheel: headlights, wipers, cigarette lighter. The toggle switches below are: instrument lights, heater, interior lights. From your picture, there appears to be an additional switch between the wiper and cigarette lighter, but I do not believe that is original to the car, so you may need to do some tracing of the wires. I wonder if they were for accessory driving lights?? As to your fuel tank...does the red low fuel warning light come on? I found with such a big tank that my guage is often off, but when that red low fuel light comes on I have about 60 miles or so before I run out of fuel. "low fuel" when the tank is 18 gallons is relative.

Correct on the usefulness of the handbrake. I learned the hard way just how useless it was. Perhaps a new cable and adjustment will help (there are a couple of places to adjust, but sometimes the cable just needs to be replaced and the whole mechanism lubed).

I agree with your driving impressions. I had a 69 Spider 1750 FI Veloce and the SS is far more lively, although with the fuel injection, the power curve was smoother on the spider. Mine still has the original SS cams and they make the car really come alive as rpm's progress from 2900 to 3000.

Thanks for sharing your story. I hope you keep doing so. These are really great cars to own and drive, even if they draw quite a lot of attention. I find that traffic tends to part ways as I drive - people are so polite after they spy it in the mirror. Actually, I think they're curious about what the rest of the car looks like so they move over and slow down to let me go by so they can check it out. All the best....Dan
Hello Dan,
Thank you for your kind words and expertise. Your interior blue must be sublime and beautiful. Since I bought this car without seeing in person, the all red interior was a bit questionable to me. However, seeing the car in person, I must say it does not bother me at all and I do like the contrast with the white body.

As for the knobs and switches, I would learn my way thru with time. As you mentioned, there might be a non stock addition. Hard to tell without a manual. I would figure things out in time.

Yes, the useless hand brake,...my shop suggested replacing the wires but they are skeptical as to how effective the result would be. I would probably go ahead with the replacement soon. I still have yet to take her out for good runs to expose hidden issues.

Whenever I buy these "used" cars, I end up finding out issues as I get behind the wheels and drive them. Believe me, I have had my shares of unusual surprises with each and everyone of them. (That topic would deserve a new thread).

I would continue with my driving experience as I begin to get to know her.

Thanx again for the input Dan.

w/ smiles
Jimmy

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thank you for sharing this beautiful car with us..... The SS is perhaps the most beautiful of all Alfas and that is saying something...

More pictures please!

Oh, and may I ask a question? Between the back edge of the hood and the windscreen there appears to be a piece of clear plexiglass

View attachment 1083409

What is its purpose please?
Hi Lokki, thanx for your compliment.

With my limited knowledge so far, to answer your question regarding the plexiglass,...I understand the purpose is to prevent windshield wipers from "lifting up" when driven in fast mode. The item is original equipment with the SS.

w/ smiles
Jimmy

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Forgot to mention a quirk with the non retractable radio antenna. I am leasing an underground, palette style parking structure for this SS and as I moved on to the palette, alarm went off indicating dimensional red flag. Backed out to figure out what was going on, and within thirty seconds or so, it dawned on me that the fixed antenna was too tall and flagged the dimensional sensors. Caught in this bind and trying to figure out somekind of solution, I remembered I had this rather long ribbon in my bag, which I used to tie the top and the antenna and pulled/gently bending the antenna to clear the height, and tied the other end to the driver side wiper hinge.

This stop gap would suffice for now. Thinking of removing the antenna for good, as this SS does not come with radio anyway. No plans of adding a new radio either. A useless item for SS.

Just another strange happenings in my boring car life experience.

w/ smiles
Jimmy

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Impressions update

Still early in my learning curve but few comments regarding the driving impressions of SS vs. my other 1966 Spide(Duetto) Series I.

Needless to say, both are great fun to drive in their own set up. However, it seems like the Spider requires a more aggressive axle step in to give more gas and rpm turns in order to start out in first gear. If I step in like other cars I own, that would seem inadequate and the car would seem to hesitate to run up smoothly. It could be due to lack of torque whereby I must turn up the rpm sufficiently for smooth run up. When that extra gas step in is achieved, the car seems most happy and responds perfectly as I shift up the gears. Overall, the drive sensation of the spider is much more civilized and the motor sound is wonderful but quite different from the SS.

In contrast, the SS feels a lot lighter, the motor response seems more direct and fast, and the engine sound is somewhat more raw and naughty, which I like. The overall ride is much more spirited and lively, you can call that less civilized. A very sporty sensation, indeed.

Still in my early stage of getting used to both ARs and enjoying the experience too.

w/ smiles
Jimmy

·
Registered
761 Posts
Hi Jimmy

Your mention of a non-retracting radio antenna takes me back 30/40 years....I seem to recall you could buy "fixed" antennas when there was insufficient room for the retractable mechanism under the bodywork -- however, the antenna could be removed in it`s entirety by simply unscrewing or unlocking the base knob. The fixing to the bodywork remains in place and the antenna removed....

Richard

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hi Jimmy

Your mention of a non-retracting radio antenna takes me back 30/40 years....I seem to recall you could buy "fixed" antennas when there was insufficient room for the retractable mechanism under the bodywork -- however, the antenna could be removed in it`s entirety by simply unscrewing or unlocking the base knob. The fixing to the bodywork remains in place and the antenna removed....

Richard
Hello Richard, and thanx for that info. Glad to know that it brought back memory on your part too.

As you stated, it seems like the antenna can be removed relatively without complications. It's just that I have not had time to get to that. Still busy getting used to everything. For example, some of the switches seem like novelty, like this one that turns on the passenger side room lamp above the door. I suppose that was the norm back in the '60s.

w/ smiles
Jimmy

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Gears' engagement question

Although I have not truly taken my SS out for a long drive so far, I had a question regarding the engagement of the gears.

Just curious if anyone of you know anything regarding this.

I find that the reverse gear engagement is rather difficult to engage properly, requiring a considerable effort, and I do mean quite considerable effort on my part to shift in reverse. It seems terribly difficult. Is this "normal" of all SS or it means that I need to have my gears checked ?

Also, the first gear engagement requires definitive shift into first, otherwise I find it not engaged and the subsequent "pop"...

This is not the case with my other AR Duetto Spider I got last year.

Any sage advise would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Hello Jimmy,

The gearbox of your SS must be smooth as the Duetto's one.

You have a problem on your gearbox. You can check first :

- oil quality
- clutch adjustment

If not, you have to open the gearbox.
Check the synchro ring and synchro sleeve, but maybe it's coming from the teeth of gear ring as shown in the picture (picture from OKP web site).
Good luck,
Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Hello Jimmy,

The gearbox of your SS must be smooth as the Duetto's one.

You have a problem on your gearbox. You can check first :

- oil quality
- clutch adjustment

If not, you have to open the gearbox.
Check the synchro ring and synchro sleeve, but maybe it's coming from the teeth of gear ring as shown in the picture (picture from OKP web site).
Good luck,
Chris
Hello pescara, thanx for your response. That is what I wanted to know. I would proceed as recommended and take care of the issue when I find the time for it.

Much, much appreciated.

w/ smiles
Jimmy

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
The fact that first and reverse are hard to get into leads me to think the clutch is not fully disengaging and where I would start.

Best of luck
Pete

·
Super Moderator
3,517 Posts
Hi Jimmy

Difficulty in selecting first or reverse is often caused by the little tin 'hat' and big rubber dust/noise seal underneath it, that are both bolted to the top of the transmission tunnel above the gearbox turret.

Your easiest, fastest and cheapest start point is to take these parts off the inside and then drive the SS - yes it will be much noisier without all that sound deadening but you just want to check the first and reverse action.

There should be 3 rubber boots when you strip the bits off, the big one you see going from the gear lever to the top of the tin hat, then the big thick flat one from around the turret to the surrounding sheet metal and lastly the little one just covering the top of the turret to above the neck of the lever - leave this last one in place, it stops the oil coming out of the gearbox.

I've had both first and reverse difficulties due to the bend of the lever just catching the tin hat and not quite selecting the gear properly, sometimes it just takes a little shift of the tin hat to get things right.

Also if the gearbox mounting rubber isn't in the right position (your SS is one of the last so might have a 105 rear on the gearbox ?? - there was quite a lot of commonality between the last 101's and the first 105's ) - is there a new mounting on the transmission ?? if this rubber is positioned incorrectly the rear of the box sits lower than normal which means that the bend of the lever can foul something inside the tin hat and not quite engage the gear correctly which will cause it to pop out under load.

From there you can determine if you need to investigate further - clutch or gearbox itself, clutch adjustment is quick and easy on a Giulietta / Giulia.

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Hello Greig,

Thank you so much for that "thesis" and the issues you had sounds very familiar with mine.

Since I am not versed with mechanics at all, I have to rely on my friend's shop to handle that.

Do appreciate much the technical and detailed explanations. Much, much obliged.

Aside from those first and reverse difficulties, everything else with the transmission seems fine.

While I am at it, I forgot to mention the "poor" hand brake, which is almost of no use. Are these hand brakes of this era pretty much that way overall ? Thought of replacing the wires as a start.

w/ smiles
Jimmy

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
I have always put the gear shift into fourth gear before shifting into first or reverse gear. I have driven Alfas since 1968 and found this to be the easiest way to shift into those gears. I have owned cars with tunnel case transmissions up to Milano transaxle transmissions and shift all of them the same way. I have found out that even new cars and cars with rebuilt transmission have problems with shifting into first or reverse gear.

I always had problems with my 1961 Giulietta Sprint Veloce non-working emergency brake. I completely restored the car and found out that the rod located in the rear of the emergency brake system was 1/4 inch too long. I cut the rod and the emergency brake works for the first time. I know that you car has the same emergency brake system as my car. The 80 or 90 liter gas tank is the reason why Alfa used a different emergency brake system on Veloce, SS or SZ cars compared to cars that use the smaller gas tanks.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I have always put the gear shift into fourth gear before shifting into first or reverse gear. I have driven Alfas since 1968 and found this to be the easiest way to shift into those gears. I have owned cars with tunnel case transmissions up to Milano transaxle transmissions and shift all of them the same way. I have found out that even new cars and cars with rebuilt transmission have problems with shifting into first or reverse gear.

I always had problems with my 1961 Giulietta Sprint Veloce non-working emergency brake. I completely restored the car and found out that the rod located in the rear of the emergency brake system was 1/4 inch too long. I cut the rod and the emergency brake works for the first time. I know that you car has the same emergency brake system as my car. The 80 or 90 liter gas tank is the reason why Alfa used a different emergency brake system on Veloce, SS or SZ cars compared to cars that use the smaller gas tanks.
Hello kuni, much appreciated for your vast knowledge and experience w/ ARs.

So far, I have driven only a handful of times, mostly around the streets only still, and have a lot to learn. Thus, all these comments and tips are of great value for someone like myself.

My friend who is way more knowledgable than myself did inform me that the handbrake is pretty much unreliable. Would look for ways to improve that, hopefully.

Would report further on impressions too.

w/ smiles
Jimmy

21 - 38 of 38 Posts