Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying get info on restoring one of these. I've located one that needs a total restoration and am very interested in buying it, but I don't know how much it will cost to restore and don't want to be upside down on it. It is a complete car and hasn't been running for 20 years. Any help would be appreciated.
Ken D

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Hi Ken

Welcome to the BB.

Total restoration can run around $40,000 with around $7,000 for the drive train.

Where do you live?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Ken,

Welcome to the BB. This site, as well as the following are good places to start your research:

Alfa Romeo Giuliettas

Will you be doing most of the restoration yourself? If not, if you tell us where you're located, people can suggest mechanics and restoration shops in your area.

Any photos of the SS you're considering? Is it complete with all the parts needing restoration? What's the rust situation? Info like this will help us give you an idea about what to expect.

Best,

Afshin

·
Registered
581 Posts
I'm trying get info on restoring one of these. I've located one that needs a total restoration and am very interested in buying it, but I don't know how much it will cost to restore and don't want to be upside down on it. It is a complete car and hasn't been running for 20 years. Any help would be appreciated.
Ken D

the big question is how much rust....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1964 giulia sprint special

The rust is at the bottom of the doors & sills, at the fender wells and rear underside. The pictures I have don't show the floorboards

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
This is worse than my Sprint.

The only metal work was two front floor panels and some new metal needed for the trunk floor.

:cool:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Here's a recent ebay auction of one that shows similiar rust, although hard to tell from the pics. If the auction results are correct (it surprised me for sure!) the $20K should work.

Alfa Romeo - eBay (item 370477151220 end time Jan-21-11 19:01:08 PST)

As to restoration costs - it depends on what you mean by "restore"? Ground up, rebuild/replace/rebush/recover etc. everything? $40K is probably a low estimate. You could spend $20K on bodywork alone based on your pictures. And I'm normally one off those wonky people who believes you could get your drivetrain rebuilt for under $5K total.

Outside of the pictures you've shown, perhaps a bigger consideration is how complete is the car? I think the ebay one went so high because it was complete and mostly original. Tracking down some of these parts while not impossible, takes time + $$'s.

More pictures always help. The kind of rust showing though goes beyond sanding and painting but looks more like cutting and fab'ing.

·
Registered
267 Posts
The pictures first posted on this thread didn't show enough of the beat up quarter panels to really be positive, but I thought what the heck. When I first saw this thread I thought they were the same, but thought I'd post anyway....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1964Gss

Thank all of you for the prompt responses. And I know I'll be in pretty deep to restore it to concours quality .I hoping to get at a fair price. The car is complete and hasn't run for 20 years or so, soooo if I am able to get it ,I will be counting on all of you for your information and suggestions.
Thanks, Ken D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts