Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to classic Alfas (had a 155 years ago) - looking to acquire a 1964 Giulia GT Sprint - Chasis AR 603-729, Engine AR 00502-03939. Per Marco Fazio the car was manufactured on the 12th May 1964 and sold on the 23rd May 1964 in Reggio Emilia, Italy. Body color Azzurro Spazio (AR-330) with grey interior. Would very much appreciate any observations/insights based on the attached pictures. Many thanks, Rob
Giulia engine.jpg

Giulia front.jpg

Giulia interior2.jpg

Giulia Side 2.jpg

Giulia Side.jpg

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
What is the seller able to tell you about the car?

There's a fair few things right off the bat that can be said.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
oooohh, a nice early GT. Big one is to check thoroughly for rust. The sills look a bit wobbly and the door gaps seem off. Those bumper overiders are wrong. It should have a single piece chromed steel front bumper. Maybe they were added to it. Other than the bumper, spotlights and grille heart (should have 6 slats for a 64) the exterior looks correct. Rims should be 15". And with a full body colour change that means it has been pulled apart at least once.

Dash and steering wheel are correct, though the wheel rim is probably cracked. Missing the knobbly brico pram cigarette lighter. I doubt the red and white two tone is correct either. Gauges where heater box should be.

Engine bay is dirty but relatively correct. Wrong brake fluid reservoir, missing hose clamps, later head. It looks like the head had the tabs for the front cam cover tie down bolts. The cam cover you will not doesnt have these tabs which is correct for this year. Should have a scissor bonnet support. Bay should be body coloured.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Everything that Derek Entesano mentioned,and also the two front hubcaps are from a 1300 TI,the back ones are correct. this is a 40 year old car,so along the way all sorts of incorrect items have been fitted. Otherwise a beautiful early Sprint GT, and the purest form of Bertone design for a 105 Alfa GT car,just imagine what other contemporary cars of 1964 looked like next to this beauty. Please restore it and enjoy this iconic Alfa. Cheers :thumbup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks to all for the quick responses and the insights -- will allow me to start a careful, step-by-step restoration. Grandeblek, appreciate the positive note -- it's my first go at owning/restoring a classic.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Honestly, you can't go wrong with an early GT. Everyone wants one at the moment, and rightly so! I would return it to Azzurro Spazio. It's rare on these cars and looks fantastic.

·
Registered
172 Posts
It has the correct cam cover and cross-over air system, which is good. But it doesn't have the correct cylinder head. A sprint GT should have the head without the bolt holes on the front.

It also has an extra pair of gauges, they look like they're the hanging gauges out of a S2 Junior?

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
I think the head is correct, but you can see the tabs used on later cam cover gaskets. A clearer photo from the front would be conclusive. It has the correct early dash in seemingly good condition, so that is one major headache you will not have to deal with.

·
Administrator
12,570 Posts
Suggest you talk to Akitaman (Daron) and see if you can afford for his company to get the body right for you. Suspect you will need inner and outer chassis rails, new rockers/sills, maybe floor panels and door skin/frame repairs ... which is easily done by a company like Akitaman's.
Pete

·
Super Moderator
10,606 Posts
Should have a scissor bonnet support. Bay should be body coloured.
My 105.02 Sprint GT has the same hood support as ScottRK's car. I don't know when Alfa transitioned from the scissor style to the spring & rod, but am not sure his is incorrect.

Yes, someone got over-enthusiastic with the black paint underhood. As alfa2go wrote, the underhood sheetmetal should be body color. Accessories, such as the brake booster, should be cad plated - not black.

Those fog lights and front overriders must go!

alfa2go said:
I doubt the red and white two tone is correct either.
Agreed. None of the photos fully show the seats; are you confident they are the correct seat frames for an Alfa Sprint GT? The red & white upholstery opens the possibility that seats from another car may have been transplanted.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
The bonnet for a 64 should have the scissor disc. It appears to still have the mount as shown in the photo below - but it's not an original factory bonnet - it's been replaced after the front ender the car has had.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Did all 64's have a grey dash front rather than black? In addition, were they void of the metal (most likely plastic plated) trim that traveled along the lower, side, and upper edges of the face, just inside of the elevated, padded section?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
No Sprint GT or GTV had a black dash face. Only dash top and lower was black.

The trim you mention is only on GTV and it's stainless.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Now I'm really confused...I believe (or at least this is what my eyes are telling me) that I have seen a grey dash face and a black dash face on Sprint GT's ....
Please advise....????

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
My statement remains the same. I own both models and have most of the literature and factory photos as well as brochures. No black dash.

·
Super Moderator
10,606 Posts
Now I'm really confused...I believe (or at least this is what my eyes are telling me) that I have seen a grey dash face and a black dash face on Sprint GT's ....
I agree with Pancho: no black dash faces on 105.02's. Always grey.

With the introduction of the 105.36 models, Alfa went with the faux wood grained dash + stainless trim around the perimeter. That stainless trim was not used on the 105.02's.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
OK....so on my car...a 64 (which although beautiful is not original) I have a black face dash with the stainless trim...not every 67 was a Veloce..perhaps they were used on non Veloce 67's ???

·
Super Moderator
10,606 Posts
OK....so on my car...a 64 (which although beautiful is not original) I have a black face dash with the stainless trim...not every 67 was a Veloce..perhaps they were used on non Veloce 67's ???
So is your car a '64 or a '67? A 105.02 or a 105.36? (The model # will be stamped on the firewall)

My guess is that your car has a 105.36 dash that was originally wood-grained, but someone painted it black when the faux wood grain fell apart. Or maybe the faux wood just turns black when the original finish cooks off. Such a dash would have come with the stainless trim.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Alfa did a recall of sorts in May 1965, suggesting the scissors hood prop be replaced with the new spring-loaded rod prop, which replaced the scissors prop on new cars about the same time. For instance, my August '65 105.02 came from the factory with the rod prop (photo)

The hoods came with a tar-like undercoating on the underside of the hood skin (but not on the structural portions), which was painted body color; this car apparently had the stuff removed for the repaint.

Buy it!

And do a lot of research here on the BB: original is what you want as values continue to rise and buyers become more particular and better informed. And note that the earlier cars had some slight detail differences, like the one-piece chrome bumpers, single-layer canvas axle straps and trunk lid-mounted weather stripping.

Keep us posted!

Chuck

Attachments

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Plaque riveted to firewall

The Plaque that is riveted to the firewall reads..

IGM 3235

My only explanation is that the car is not original and perhaps this dash was used to replace the original dash...The point I want to clarify though still remains vague to me..and that is...did a black face crinckle finish dash exist on any Step Nose coupes? My recollection is that I have seen dashes finished in this nature on Step Nose's other than mine....D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts