Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
No, I'd never heard of this one-off car either! But there is a major article on it in this month's Auto Italia magazine and its creators were amongst the best in Italy at the time. Apparently the design was so good that it scared the life out of Carlo Chiti, whose TZ had only recently started to take to the circuits.

The first chassis had a rear-mounted 1300 SZ engine with a Citroen DS19 gearbox (!) but it was flawed to such an extent that the chassis was canned and a 1600 twin-plug engine mated to a Hewland transaxle was fitted instead, all wrapped in a unique Piero Drogo body. It's a fascinating story, do find a copy if you can.

Links here (lots of photos), here, here and here (in Italian for those who read it).

Alex.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
It looks good, and it is interesting to see the oil filler at the end opposite to the rad.:)

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
There was some information on both the 1300 and 1600 car back in 1995 in the article I did on Alfa based "specials" for Het K, the Dutch Alfa club magazine. If anyone wants a copy, PM me....

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
There are so many things about this car that I find uniquely appealing. This looks almost as good as some of those one-off Alfa prototypes of the 1960's...yet it is distinctly not an Alfa.

Is this the only vehicle this company ever produced?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Auto Italia Issue 136

Auto Italia Issue 136 has done a story on this wonderful little car.
According to the Mag Its a Mk2 so its only the second car built. it has a 1570 Alfa 8v twin spark 170 hp.
HEWLAND box weighs 560 Kgs 0-62 in 4.5 sec.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seriously? Any idea how much?

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Didn't we discuss this with tons of pictures anywhere else? maybe it was on a different site (Ferrarichat)?

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
GREAT looking car...cept the tail lights kinda ruin the tail....course most early italians had crappy looking cheep road tail lights LOL

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've been in touch with the seller of the Aguzzoli. Price is 385,000 Euro (negotiable), which I thought was rather steep for what is essentially a well-made 'special'. He's sent me scanned copies of the Auto Italia article, too, so if anyone wants to have their own copy, send me an email (not a PM) and I'll forward it to you.

Alex.

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
I've been in touch with the seller of the Aguzzoli. Price is 385,000 Euro (negotiable), which I thought was rather steep for what is essentially a well-made 'special'. He's sent me scanned copies of the Auto Italia article, too, so if anyone wants to have their own copy, send me an email (not a PM) and I'll forward it to you.

Alex.
Well it IS rarer and cheaper than a REAL TZ with important race history. Those are going for something like 500,000 Euros!!! I heard rumors of a REAL TZ2 that selling recently for almost 2 million dollars!!!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Aguzzoli

Interesting car... This photo is from 1965 where you see the car next to a 1600 GTA (Jolly Club ?). In the background a Ford GT40 and Shelby Daytona Coupe.

1139.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
The most interesting thing about this car is about how it was discovered.
A guy walking around a swap met around Modena noticed a strange elektron oil pan, probably of a TZ but without the slight slope of standard TZ oil pan.
He knew that could be much more behind it and asked to the seller from where he took that pan.
Some weeks later, he met the owner of the car, Sergio Aguzzoli (one of the two, father and son, who built the car at the cost, in 1964, of 120.000.000 of Lire (around 200000$ at the time), and bought the car, without engine, at the cost of 120.000.000 of lire (!) plus interests.
When discovered, the car was without its original engine but with a 1600 cc Alfa Romeo.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Forgive me if this is blasphemy, but the car looks very similar to a contemporary sports racer, the Porsche 904. Both are very pretty.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The Italians just do it better

There are lots of interesting cars from the mid late 60's ie ATS's and the Alfa Romeo Marciano 268 not to mention the Alfa 33 Stradale and the Ferrari 206 SP Dino.

In my opinion, compared to the German Porsche efforts, the Italians do the styling side that much better. Frech get a look in with the ALPINE A110 1600. And the Lotus Elan

Graeme

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts