Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
CAR IS A 1963 model.
AR822160 chassis no. Took 2nd place at Monterey in 2011 and has been detailed further since. Engine bay, lower door sills, and transmission refreshed. All work done by well known Alfa ROMEO shops to the highest standards.

Retirement goal changes are reason for selling.

Pictures are unedited and recent.
Link to google drive photo album:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1FXfWQvcFAUExWFVUbXaVbFw6PzQcf1SR

Car is currently located in the Austin, TX area. I’d be interested in a 1970’s shortbed pickup on trade.

Thank you for looking,
BJT

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Updated details:
Tires were done by LA Tire and Wheel and they do not rub nor interfere with any of the steering and suspension components. Great care was taken with the fitment. The effort to turn the wheel did go up some. Old school steering by Armstrong. I always mind where I park and don’t start turning until I’m moving, rather than start turning from a standstill.

Carbs and all mechanical was performed by Santos Italian Car Service in Northridge, CA.
Thank you all for your interest

·
Premium Member
16,166 Posts
Great looking car. Always liked them, just a bigger version of my Sprint GT.

I'm always surprised, though, whenever I see one these or sometimes a Sprint GT, the rear bumpers are never level, as it was on mine can that be fixed?

Usually, on these older cars, if they have a separate caster rod, that can be adjusted/shortened to lighten the steering some. We did this on a 78 Alfetta sedan to our satisfaction (the PO selling it because his wife thought the steering far too heavy).

Any feeling for asking price? Will be in Texas this fall.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m not able to find much in the way of comps for pricing. I saw a white one in the US listed for $55k and up towards $100k for one in Europe. I met the president of the Alfa 2600 group in 2011 and he thought mine was in the top ten at that time. It’s also remained on coceptcarz as an example all this time. Of course there are a few restoration projects out there for far less.

I’d not heard about adjusting the caster rod. Thanks! I’d looked into a setup from Europe that converts 2600’s to use Nissan power steering for around $2.4k

I pray the car sells before fall. I’ll be in WA this fall on Camano. Plan to have another Alfa restored in Anacortes:)

Thanks,
Brad

·
Premium Member
16,166 Posts
If you shorten the caster rod, you reduce the backward tilt of the upright, thus reducing the steering effort. The caster rods might adjusted just a little too long right now.

This is akin to modern bicycles having less caster in the front fork than in the past, meaning that the steering of the newer bicycles is less self-correcting, and you are no longer able to cycle hands free as we used to decades ago, lol. As I recall, it doesn't take much adjustment. Try it a little and see what happens. Adjust to suit.

Is the guy restoring Alfas still at the Skagit (old Bow-Edison) Regional Airport between Anacortes and Mt Vernon? Was there once. Thought he moved to Tacoma, but might be wrong. Or, is it now Autostrada right in Anacortes?

Sure is a fine looking car.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
...Is the guy restoring Alfas still at the Skagit (old Bow-Edison) Regional Airport between Anacortes and Mt Vernon? Was there once. Thought he moved to Tacoma, but might be wrong. Or, is it now Autostrada right in Anacortes?

Sure is a fine looking car.
I was a Autostrada in Anacortes this morning. Just saying.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fred seemed to be very good at his trade and I felt lit very comfortable with him. I’m hoping we can strike an arrangement.

·
Premium Member
16,166 Posts
I didn't know about Autostrada, knew only the guy at the Skagit airport. As I mentioned, had been there once several years ago, and I had never seen so many older tired Alfas in one location.

Will have to stop in at Autostrada. Was this outfit connected in any way to the group at the airport?

·
Premium Member
2,527 Posts
Just stumbled across this thread and wanted to make sure everyone was clear that no, Autostrada was never in any way connected to the shop that was operating near the Skagit airport. I’ve been in Anacortes for about 15 years after relocating from Southern California. I don’t do videos but do maintain a Facebook page where you can follow some of what we do. Been involved with Alfa’s since the early 80s and the shop’s been in operation for about 20 yrs.

·
Push hard and live
10,310 Posts
There is no caster rod on 102 or 106 cars. They use a kingpin steering system, with fixed length upper and lower A-arms. It is not possible to adjust the caster. Steering effort adjustment is pretty much limited to tire choice and inflatement pressure. There are theoretical options for power steering, but there will be a day that the rarity of the remaining cars will penalize irreversible modifications.

Reactions: turk394

·
Premium Member
16,166 Posts
Ok, I did say, "if there is a caster rod". Obviously, there isn't, then. Really too bad. Old king pin suspension sucked. As bad as the basically nonadjustable front suspension of the strut setup of the 164. The Alfetta design was much better.

Very interesting about Autostrada. Thought I knew most of the Alfa restoration places in the Puget Sound area after this many decades of Alfa ownership. Will stop in one of these days.

You might think about a web site, as not everybody is on evil Facebook.

Reactions: turk394

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1 - 13 of 13 Posts